Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2016, 02:43 PM   #681
outlawangler

Short video on rod tip protectors that I added to the Kraken 13.5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNvhV-v8HOU
Old 04-21-2016, 08:07 PM   #682
pingpangdang

Floating livewell from pipe insulation, zip ties, 3 gallon bucket, and screw on top...All parts from home depot for no more than 20.

Kept macs live all day. Easy to put bait in and I drilled holes on top so it would get lighter when lifted on the kayak if I needed to boogie. Enough water inside to keep fish alive before posting up on the next stop. Then tossed it back in the water to float filling up all the way around the holes to give bait more swim space.

No seals ever messed with it. I've upgraded to a diy livewell using a bilge pump...

This would be better in the bay or lakes.

Just a cheap optionuploadfromtaptalk1461297931223.jpguploadfromtaptalk1461297967557.jpguploadfromtaptalk1461298002079.jpguploadfromtaptalk1461298045841.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:35 AM   #683
Orca Winfrey

Thanks! Thank really great. Might try it.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:00 PM   #684
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8shooter View Post
My Hobie PA14 garage lift . . . because its one heavy yak, and available storage space is always a premium.

https://youtu.be/pDucTjFJAMA

https://youtu.be/W_M0uwYlYOs
Very nice. Where did you buy your 2" side mount pulleys?
The Harbor Freight electric hoist looks like a good fit for your project.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #685
kayachapi

Magnetic transducer mount

1 1/2" PVC. Magnets from an instant screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1206.jpg (67.8 KB, 775 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1207.jpg (55.9 KB, 774 views)
kayachapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:25 PM   #686
jorluivil

Great start................however, I can't imagine all of the crap that will get hung up on that rod let alone the rust that it will build after a few trips. Why did you not use galvanized material?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:27 AM   #687
kayachapi

Crap!

I didn't think about the crap. The bolt and nuts are 2"x 1/4" stainless. I'm hoping it works. If something hangs up, it will just fall away and my signal will get funky. Then I will re-attach.
slow process shaping the PVC so I hope it works.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #688
kayachapi

Everybody makes these

I know everybody has made these to death, but I'm pretty happy with them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1232.jpg (74.9 KB, 675 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1233.jpg (78.9 KB, 668 views)
Old 06-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #689
King Saba

Neat design. So you just slid the outer layer of the paracord onto the weed whacker line?
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:04 PM   #690
kayachapi

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Neat design. So you just slid the outer layer of the paracord onto the weed whacker line?
Yes, I use a strand of the inner core to tie the loop back, then electrical tape, then heat shrink.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #691
YOYOYaker
Junior

Here's a link to a video on how to do this.

http://yakchronicles.com/coiled-para...eash-tutorial/
YOYOYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #692
fongman

I haven't posted on here in a while, so I'll share a few things I made. The first is a fly rod holder. I have some extra RAM accessories so I made it for a RAM 1.5" ball mount. I originally used a bungee cord and lashing hook (OEX) to secure the rod to the rod holder. Recently I modified it to have a rotating collar, like the Scotty Power Lock.

The next are check valves. These will be used in place of the seat plugs in my Hobie Adventure. The parts list: 3/4" PVC male adapter, 3/4" PVC pipe, syringe plunger, and 1/8" SS rod. The video I saw used a 3/4" acrylic ball, but I couldn't find any for the right price. Instead, I found a 6-pack of syringes at Party City for $7. I cut the rod at the indentation, then filed the fins of the plunger so it would slide in the 3/4" PVC pipe. Do not push the pipe all the way into the adapter because you want to allow a gap for more water to pass through. The hole I drilled in the pipe allows the plunger about an 1/8" of clearance from the top. The threaded portion was sawed off above the last 3 threads.

fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #693
fongman

Seat Riser

The Adventure/Islander seat is below the water line, so the seat plugs must be in place. When water comes over the side, which is frequent, you end up sitting in a pool of water. I found a video on YouTube (AI Seat Riser) that addressed this problem. He used 2-part foam (8 lb) to build up the seat area about 1.5" - 2". Since the water line is now below the seat, he replaced the seat drain plugs with 3/4" PVC pipes. Watch the video if you are interested in making one.

In my build, I used the check valves in place of the 3/4" pipes (see my previous post). The keys to remember are: 1) be sure kayak is level, 2) use a release agent on the seat, 3) work fast with the foam since it will set up within 3 - 4 minutes, 4) concrete needs to be rough in order to quickly shape the foam, 5) before painting, use acetone to remove any chemical residue from the foam. A coat of Polyurethane over the paint will make it more durable. Since the seat covers the drain holes, I added channels to the seat riser so the water will be able to drain.

Due to the seat being higher, the mounting position for the back rest was also raised. I removed the bungee screw-in plugs used for the paddle keepers and replaced them with the D-ring plugs. The backrest is more comfortable clipped here. Plus it is easier to enter and exit the kayak with the shorter straps. The last modification was to secure the paddle bungee. It is now using a part of the Islander (sail) rigging.

I tested it out on a snotty day on the bay. As was expected, a lot of water came over the side, however, it drained out just as it was designed. The only negative was the hardness of the seat. I'll have to go back to sitting on my kneeling pad. Since I no longer need it under my seat (to raise me up), I'll now use it on top of the seat.
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:27 AM   #694
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
What does a 72in tent pole shrink wrap a pvc cap tread and one eye have in common

Bingo home made bait rod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160628_050820.jpg (29.2 KB, 548 views)
File Type: jpg 20160628_050858.jpg (22.3 KB, 546 views)
File Type: jpg 20160628_051031.jpg (31.8 KB, 546 views)
Old 07-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #695
Mr_Fixit

Leaders/Rigs

I find myself changing out a rig from time to time while out there. What to do with those rigs and leaders? You certainly dont want the tangling up or getting snagged on other things - like your leg, feet, pedals... So, I simply spool them up on these. Its a nice way to keep them all arranged, undamaged, easily re-usable, and readily available.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:50 PM   #696
TJones

This is my original battery connection

There aren't many like it , cause this one is mine . . It has seen many a battery . The first replacement I bought was similar in dimensions and capacity which was rated 7 amp 6 Vlt. I got that battery from fry's electronics for relatively cheap . Yes, 7 amp . That was a long time ago. Of course hobie has upgraded since then to a standard equipped 10 amp battery. Tbe current battery I am using is a Bioenno LIPO4 12 amp. This battery will last me all day and not slow on flow of pump,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.8 KB, 423 views)
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:31 PM   #697
TJones

Finishing up

What I've realized about these connections, is that they are bulletproof. Even with little care or attention, I have not had any problems. This connector is probably from an 09-10 outback, which was my first Hobie kayak. Yes, I started out on the Dark Side. Anyways, after having so many issues with my fishfinder, I decided to try this connector for my battery power source. I ordered a couple sets of connectors from a dealer and head them shipped. The complete package lists for about 20.00$. The package includes male/ female ends and pre-greased wire caps that even have a dust cap for the back of screw on wire connector . I have never seen this before. To prevent and issues, I also put some marine goop to insure a water tight seal at connection . This should give trouble free operation for more that a year of hard use. Ideally the life of your fish finder. Easily achievable if you do like me, and replace your unit every 6 months. .
Old 07-27-2016, 03:38 PM   #698
TJones

Some pics

Battery in water tight container is for my hobie tank and is s 12 amp Lipo. This battery will run all day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.8 KB, 397 views)
Old 07-27-2016, 03:41 PM   #699
TJones

Guess rest of pics did not come through

Standard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (101.6 KB, 394 views)
Old 07-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #700
TJones

Caps

If wires
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.0 KB, 396 views)

Tags
kayak fishing inovations, kayak rigging ideas