Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-17-2017, 06:42 AM   #21
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
If you don't take your reels apart to clean and lube.....every so often

You forget how to put them back together....
Old 05-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #22
Iceman
Administrator

Lots of good intel here! I am a big fan of dropping a leg over the side..........or 2.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #23
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
Thanks for sharing the informative posts gents! Always a good read and very helpful.

I was out on Sat. Had a late start and didn't get out till 7am. Surf was fun as mentioned. I hugged the kelp coming out and made a mix bag of jack and greenbacks very quickly.

Seeing some of the surface action, I took to flyline and flat falls for most the morning and figured I could cover some ground. I went out west first and then came back in and headed towards the kelp. I paused once at the kelp line, tied on a fresh dropper loop (65lb braid - Alberto knot - 50lb mono - 2/0 Ringed J hook.) and sent down a nice medium greenback First drop down, immediately get hit and the fish is racing to the kelp. I start gaining line and now my flyline gets picked up.. double!

I continue with the fish from below and pull em out of the weeds. Once I grab the other rod, I have the fish for about 2-3 minutes and pops off in the kelp. 40 lb fluro was pretty abraded above hook. Got wet coming in... but always enjoy the time on the water.

I did find a pair of fishing gloves. So PM details and I'd be happy to return them to you.

Here's some video

The video is rad thanks for posting!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #24
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Awesome Vid!!

WTG on the patients!!!

Stud job!

Geno
Old 05-17-2017, 07:31 PM   #25
FISH11

Congrats on the one you landed, too bad on the other. Looks like you just about had the landing. After 1 year I still can't land my Revo 13 as easy as my Malibu XFactor. I do put my legs over like you did fighting the fish. I do it when fighting a large Yellow and while comming in the surf once I'm in the waves that are breaking. I've found it's the only way I can brace myself to the kayak to have better control. On my XFactor I can just push avainst the foot pegs.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:33 AM   #26
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
The video is rad thanks for posting!
Thanks Chris! I passed you in the morning and we exchanged a wave. Was going to head over, but looked like you were metering. We'll have to coordinate a tuna venture soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno Machino View Post
Awesome Vid!!

WTG on the patients!!!

Stud job!

Geno
Right on. Thanks Geno!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Congrats on the one you landed, too bad on the other. Looks like you just about had the landing. After 1 year I still can't land my Revo 13 as easy as my Malibu XFactor. I do put my legs over like you did fighting the fish. I do it when fighting a large Yellow and while comming in the surf once I'm in the waves that are breaking. I've found it's the only way I can brace myself to the kayak to have better control. On my XFactor I can just push avainst the foot pegs.
Thanks Mark,

Recently coming from a Revo 13 into the 16, I used to only paddle in through the surf, although I know many prefer to pedal, I just couldn't commit to that. I did pretty well on the 13, but had a couple years in that hull, it's def wider than the 16, but I'm sure with a couple more trips on the new boat, I'll be good. But there is always a chance you can flip, especially if the surf is up and close together.
As Greg mentioned, trusting the paddle when bracing is huge. I've personally gained a lot from filming myself. What I did right, wrong, etc, both in the surf and fighting fish.

Cheers!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #27
taggermike

Greg, thanks for the excellent report. You camera use offers a unique insight.

I'm with Mitchell. Fish when you want to, or can, and don't follow the "hot bite".
Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #28
NICKWORN

Telephone cord?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
Thanks for sharing the informative posts gents! Always a good read and very helpful.

I was out on Sat. Had a late start and didn't get out till 7am. Surf was fun as mentioned. I hugged the kelp coming out and made a mix bag of jack and greenbacks very quickly.

Seeing some of the surface action, I took to flyline and flat falls for most the morning and figured I could cover some ground. I went out west first and then came back in and headed towards the kelp. I paused once at the kelp line, tied on a fresh dropper loop (65lb braid - Alberto knot - 50lb mono - 2/0 Ringed J hook.) and sent down a nice medium greenback First drop down, immediately get hit and the fish is racing to the kelp. I start gaining line and now my flyline gets picked up.. double!

I continue with the fish from below and pull em out of the weeds. Once I grab the other rod, I have the fish for about 2-3 minutes and pops off in the kelp. 40 lb fluro was pretty abraded above hook. Got wet coming in... but always enjoy the time on the water.

I did find a pair of fishing gloves. So PM details and I'd be happy to return them to you.

Here's some video

I may have to steal that idea for my rod leashes! I currently have the parachute cord with weed eater line through them spiraled from a wooden Dow.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #29
summers in kuwait

What up Nick!

Yes sir. I first started with the weed eater line method wrapped around a dowel and then hit with a heat gun, but I found over time the material didn't have the best memory. A few years ago, my work got new phones.... so I came up with some cords. Im cheap and I like to tinker. One of these days, Ill upload some of these things to "share your innovations", including my lacrosse stick gaff!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:26 AM   #30
TheBentRod

What is green, blue, yellow, red, lumpy and soupy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Nice video! Looked like you had that landing if you just trusted your paddle to keep you up. You were in perfect position to slide right in.

Great video! In my Hobie I always go to the brace also. In my Trident I'll keep the paddle going. Neither always work it's just what I do.

Great report Greg as always!

Last edited by TheBentRod; 06-01-2017 at 06:31 AM.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote