Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-18-2015, 08:05 AM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Current County Line Report

Conditions looked too good to be true, forcast said 1-2ft waves with less than 5mph winds. Arrived at the beach, sets were 2-4ft lull was about 45 secs. The back up plan is always Leo, but i like taking care of my kayak and hate all the rocks there.
So i launched and trolled and fished, but all i got was a ton of small rockfish. Went to another location, but i guess everyone knew about that location because soon i was not alone anymore. So i went to another location.Managed to get a good sheep head, which we cooked later that evening. My wife broiled it with an onion stuffing of some sort.
On the way back there was about 10 surfers in between my Car and I. I instantly got an adrenaline rush. Surf was now 3-4 ft with OCC 5ft sets, with surfers in the middle. I got as close as i could to the last wave before it crested and made it back to the beach, when a rouge cross swell built up enough force to make a 5 shore pounder. My trident 15 instantly turned side ways with me on it, tossed me down as i braced. I did not capsize, but my outrigger arm snapped off.( Home depot fix $5.00)

BTW: I fish long beach a few days ago and there was so much Bait everywhere, Malibu had alot of fin bait also. I do not recall seeing so much bait everywhere before.

Dangerous place.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 03-18-2015 at 08:10 AM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
food4less562

Did you launch with the trolling motor attached? Can we see pics of the t15? I have a T15 too, looking to add a sail...

What ever happen to that thread about kayaking and weight loss?
food4less562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #3
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by food4less562 View Post
What ever happen to that thread about kayaking and weight loss?
The motor makes you lazy. From experience a small Sail is only good on windy afternoon days, other than that its useless. I do take it out if i fish Rocky Pt and launch out of redondo or if i go to long beach and go fish the horseshoe kelp.

I would like to get a Hobie Adventure Islander, because the sail is so big it can propel you on wind that is less than 5mph. (its also less likely a shark would come harrass you)

You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 03-18-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
momo fish

Good work on the Reds and failed landing... Happens to all of us but you at least didn't fall out ☺️
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
blitzburgh

Nice! How did the Sheephead turn out?
Old 03-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
Nice! How did the Sheephead turn out?
real nice and juicy. good thing my wife knows how to follow online recipes!

Old 03-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
momo fish

Dam you!! You blew up the local spot and now it's crowded.. Hope you feel better about yourself for the timely report.

momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
TJones

Failed landing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Good work on the Reds and failed landing... Happens to all of us but you at least didn't fall out ☺️
Glad your ok. Your kinda crazy launching with all that stuff rigged up. 😄
Thanks for report .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #9
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Glad your ok. Your kinda crazy launching with all that stuff rigged up. 😄
Thanks for report .
He has a lot of money, he can replace it as soon as it breaks.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #10
food4less562

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
The motor makes you lazy. From experience a small Sail is only good on windy afternoon days, other than that its useless. I do take it out if i fish Rocky Pt and launch out of redondo or if i go to long beach and go fish the horseshoe kelp.

I would like to get a Hobie Adventure Islander, because the sail is so big it can propel you on wind that is less than 5mph. (its also less likely a shark would come harrass you)

Isn't the horseshoe 10 miles from long beach? Do you have any videos of you surf launching with the pontoons, sail and trolling motor? I bet it takes forever to set up that beast. Are you trailering it?
food4less562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:01 PM   #11
ceviche eater

glad your ok
ceviche eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:59 PM   #12
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Dam you!! You blew up the local spot and now it's crowded.. Hope you feel better about yourself for the timely report.

Don't worry Mo. After one launch there and most people will stick to their familiar, safe and comfy launches. Won't see any PA's launching over there, that's for sure!

The guys crying about the LJ Web cam being down, probably won't be taking your spot, especially if they're the kind that's worried about the surf in La Jolla.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #13
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Nice recent report by the way! When mentioning the surfers, I thought you were going to say you took on all 10 surfers, kicked their ass for putting MLO signs on your car! Glad you survived the landing. I've wiped out 2 for 3 times up there! It builds character!
Old 03-19-2015, 07:17 AM   #14
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by food4less562 View Post
Isn't the horseshoe 10 miles from long beach? Do you have any videos of you surf launching with the pontoons, sail and trolling motor? I bet it takes forever to set up that beast. Are you trailering it?
i carry the kayak right side up on the road , and velcro the sail down, and usually have the wheels attached already. They only thing i have to do at launch is attached the outrigger and fishing poles and im ready to go.

Remember its your kayak, your life. Screw destiny.... ( i even carry a torniquet on my life vest, flare gun etc)

+ in my mind having the outriggers increases my profile, so i like to think the shark will go after a smaller kayak ( so if you see me come next to you, its not because i like you)

Someone might feel safe, going out on a walmart kayak with no GPS, NO compass, no radio, No bilge pump. Just a fishing pole in their hand, not so in my case. To each his own, its your kayak anyways...

Last edited by wiredantz; 03-19-2015 at 08:43 AM.