Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2015, 04:00 AM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Barn Door

I had a strange one yesterday. Drove over to San Roque and launched at 6:45 and headed to the half way reef toward the island. No love on the yellows but had good action sheepies, sandies and huge whitefish, and of course the ever present calicos. Wind started coming up around 9 so I headed in and worked the shoreline at San Roque with Krocs. Got a few corbs and small halibut. The biggest halibut was about 25 inches and somehow he managed to snag himself right in the middle his body on the lateral line. I've never had a 5 pound fish put up such a fight in 7 feet of water. It was literally like pulling in barn door.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:22 AM   #2
Deamon

What a tease! Get the female and check back in with a fresh photo! Use that long curly tailed lime green and orange thing you used at San O...hahaha! Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
What a tease! Get the female and check back in with a fresh photo! Use that long curly tailed lime green and orange thing you used at San O...hahaha! Jim
I brought a few packages of those guys down here but for fishing the shoreline they get chewed up real quick. I think it is the small halibut that are doing the damage to them. You tend to catch 20 of the 12 to 14 inchers for every one of what would be considered a quality southern baja halibut. If you can only make 2 casts with a 2 dollar piece of plastic, it gets expensive. I think I only have 2 left. That's 2 grubs not packages. I don't have a Bass Pro Shop real close either.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 03-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
buddha

Surf fishing is fun at San Roque.

Any corvina there still?

I assume they get corvina, croakers, and halibut year round?

No surf perch I have seen there.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
YTHunter
Carlisle

For the surf halibut, try a Lucky Craft 110 lure attached to 15 lb power pro. The lures are expensive ($18), but with the 15 lb power pro slick, hopefully you won't loose many.

I'll send you one if you pm me a mailing address.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTHunter View Post
For the surf halibut, try a Lucky Craft 110 lure attached to 15 lb power pro. The lures are expensive ($18), but with the 15 lb power pro slick, hopefully you won't loose many.

I'll send you one if you pm me a mailing address.
Thanks, but as near as I can tell I don't have an address nor do they have any scheduled mail delivery here. I have to go back to the States in August to renew my FMM so I'll try to pick up a couple Lucky Craft then

Thanks
— Herman Melville

Old 03-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
tamddo714

Lucky craft is the way to go for halibut in the surf. i recommend candy sardine color.
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #8
Zed
BANNED

I recommend you take up whittling.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #9
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Ross, they have a swap meat down the road near Soccoro, time to cut up the silverware. I might swing by the end of May for a few days BEFORE the San Quintin Halibut weekend on the 6th of June. Send me a list of what you need or post a resupply list and your buddies can get it to me before I come down.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #10
Zed
BANNED

Bobs on my wavelength.
One broomhandle could be 10 prototypes.

Hell youve probably got an anvil too.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:01 PM   #11
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Ross, they have a swap meat down the road near Soccoro, time to cut up the silverware. I might swing by the end of May for a few days BEFORE the San Quintin Halibut weekend on the 6th of June. Send me a list of what you need or post a resupply list and your buddies can get it to me before I come down.
That would be great Bob. Can't think of anything I am lacking right now but I'll have a list as the time gets closer. I'll probably need some 30 and 40 lb fluorocarbon by then. I'll PayPal you some money before then.
— Herman Melville

Old 03-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #12
kobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I recommend you take up whittling.

Not a bad idea at all.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #13
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Out of the loop....

So hey Rossman. Are you like retired or something? I am like so jealous of you and Makobob. I am close to retiring but not quite there yet. I listen to you guys and live vicariously! I am far removed from Baja, but in my younger days, I fished "tony's camp" estero bay with my exhusband. So many fond memories of Baja. I would love to get reaquainted, but still have that fear of the "cartel days". Pardon my paranoia but my line of work... makes me that way. How does a sceptic get back into Baja and lose that fear? It is easy for a bunch of dudes to go down there, but what about us mermaides? Any suggestions? I am always looking for a new adventure.

Janine
Old 03-24-2015, 02:53 AM   #14
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net View Post
So hey Rossman. Are you like retired or something? I am like so jealous of you and Makobob. I am close to retiring but not quite there yet. I listen to you guys and live vicariously! I am far removed from Baja, but in my younger days, I fished "tony's camp" estero bay with my exhusband. So many fond memories of Baja. I would love to get reaquainted, but still have that fear of the "cartel days". Pardon my paranoia but my line of work... makes me that way. How does a sceptic get back into Baja and lose that fear? It is easy for a bunch of dudes to go down there, but what about us mermaides? Any suggestions? I am always looking for a new adventure.

Janine
Yes Janine I am retired. Have been for about 3 years now. After spending a couple 10 day stints in Bahia Asuncion kayak fishing I started giving some thought to moving to southern Baja. After my trip here last Thanksgiving a few things sort of fell into place and ended up moving here in late February.
I think there is a lot of misinformation about the safety of traveling in Mexico. I would be disingenuous to say that there should be no concerns but I see them as border region, and mainland Mexico problems. Once I get souther Ensenada or San Felipe I feel very secure, and even within the border region, if you don't do drugs, buy drugs, sell drugs, or transport drugs, the odds of you having any issues are very slim. Not unlike the US IMO. The people of Baja are extremely friendly and helpful. When I drive through my little village here, I almost need 3 hands. Two for the steering wheel and one to wave to people that I have come on contact with; and I've only been here a month. If you have any issues along the road, you can be sure that not one car will pass without asking if you need help, and they will stick with you until the problem is resolved.
As far as a gringa traveling in Baja, I would not recommend doing it alone for the first couple trips. Tag along with Bob's Mob on a couple of their trips until you start to feel comfortable. Or find a couple like minded gringas that might want to join you in an adventure. There are ways to really rough it down here but there are many inexpensive hotels or B&Bs pretty much everywhere. And like I have told everyone that would listen, my welcome mat is always out. As a matter of fact, there are actually 12 welcome mats on the property. Come on down and class up the joint.
Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.
— Herman Melville

Old 03-24-2015, 03:46 AM   #15
Deamon

"Bob's Mob"...I'm proud to say I'm part of that motley crew (when able to go). You got your Sven's, your Wally's, Buddah's, DefJacks (!), Fulrac's, Chuckie...DEE's and so on and so forth. A real...I mean REAL mixed bag (lol) but they are prepared, reliable and steady as they come.

Janine, I used to go to baja often before the drug/kidnapping issues down there. Every dirt road was an adventure for me and a buddy hoping to find secluded fishing spots. We had no fear. But getting married, having kids and allowing the fear to creep into our minds shut us down for twenty years. Always hoped I'd have enough confidence to get back down. Then, MakoRoberto started offering group trips and I'm glad to say, I'm back. If you want back in, this is the group to go with. Jim

Last edited by Deamon; 03-24-2015 at 05:02 AM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:16 AM   #16
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamddo714 View Post
Lucky craft is the way to go for halibut in the surf. i recommend candy sardine color.
X2! My first of only a few halibut for me was on a lucky.craft pointer, mackerel pattern from the surf in LBC.