Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2009, 12:56 AM   #1
comrad_zeelaagee

LJ Current Parking Situation?

It's been a while since I've made my way to the LJ launch and I'm seeking info with regard to the parking situation. Have they metered it or is it still open?

Info and advice is appreciated. I should add that I'll be hitting it midweek (next Ths).

Thanks,
Andy
comrad_zeelaagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
prowlerdude

Its still free in the lot. Some regulations as to driving on the beach (4x4's only).
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I'd like to know if that hand written sign that says 4 x 4 only represents an official City policy or just the efforts of some well intentioned citizen. The City has its own sign shop. I can't imagine that they would resort to hand written signs for something this important.

If anyone has a connection or some way to find out what the real deal is, this would be important information to share.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
comrad_zeelaagee

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowlerdude View Post
Its still free in the lot. Some regulations as to driving on the beach (4x4's only).
so what about street parking closer to the ramp?
Old 07-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
T Bone

It didnt look like a very official sign did it...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrad_zeelaagee View Post
so what about street parking closer to the ramp?
The days of parking there are no longer.. It's been "green curbed". 15 min loading/unloading til 6pm..
Old 07-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
comrad_zeelaagee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
The days of parking there are no longer.. It's been "green curbed". 15 min loading/unloading til 6pm..
that's what i was looking for- thank you.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

The sign was not put there by the city, it was posted by the Life guard.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The Lifeguards work for the City. I would be surprised if they would be authorized to create a sign such as this one and change the rules of access on their own.

While I agree that with the current soft sand conditions and nearly unmanageable traffic, limiting access to four wheel drive vehicles may be reasonable. It just does not seem like something the Lifeguards would be allowed to do on their own. I worked for them for many years and we were never given that kind of authority.

Maybe things have changed.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
Joe11

Although probably well intentioned, if anybody is cited by somebody using that sign to support the issuance of that citation tell the person issuing the citation that you will be requesting a public hearing. That is not an official sign and it does not have the CVC or Municipal Code that would declare the beach a 4X4 zone only.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
1Flatfish
Wayne

4 x 4s

My guess is that the sign is for public service telling people that you might get stuck if you don't have 4 wheel drive. The sign wasn't there early Saturday morning. I know, I was there. I drove onto the sand. I got stuck. I called AAA, but they never showed up. I believe nearly everyone offered to help push me out, but I assured everyone that help was on the way. An hour and a half later, I was still stuck. When I finally got out (with the help of three good samaritans), I packed my gear back in my truck and went back home with my tail between my legs. When the sand is packed and safe to drive on again, maybe the sign will go away.
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #12
Billy V

The sign was probably put there by the lifeguard in an attempt to get people to use common sense.
-an exercise in futility

However, many people did pause and load at the curb, myself included.

--------------------------
When I returned from fishing that day the sign was already there. I just dragged my kayak in the sand (no wheels) and carried it over to the truck.
Its easier than you might think.

It took a couple of extra trips to grab the rods, and bait tank, but its better than being the guy who gets stuck next to the goofy sign.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
-scallywag-
Banned

Someone please post a picture of the signs right next to the launch....i'm pretty sure it says 4x4 only on an "official" sign ...probably right next to the "no commercial activities" sign....
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
-scallywag-
Banned

Here is an interesting report that i've never seen...looks like 2wd's have been a problem for a while among other things... http://www.lajollaguide.com/ljsa/Dow...2008-final.pdf

PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL!!!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote