Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
COLDCUT
Junior

Live Wells

I'm still new to the kayak fishing craze but I'm very interested in participating in some of the upcoming tourneys. The question I have is, what setups are people using to keep their catch live for weigh-ins? Any advice would be appreciated!
COLDCUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
OEX Sunset Beach

You can use a bucket, cooler, any container, need hose, a pump, fittings and a 6 or 12 volt battery, switch.
OEX Sunset Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
ctfphoto

Go buy a pre made live bait tank from OEX, I did and it was by far the best kayak fishing accessory you can buy.

I don't use it for tourneys, I use it for Live Bait
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
COLDCUT
Junior

Thanks for the response. I had planned on buying a bait tank setup anyhow but I just wasnt sure if it would be big enough for anything larger than just baitfish. Is there minimum size any of you would suggest?
Old 12-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Bowrider3
Junior

I had this same question. Is the hobie live well big enough?
Bowrider3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
Fishwhisperer619

I wouldn't recommend the hobie bait tank as a livewell for anything bigger than a decent spotty. But that could even be pushing it. The shape doesn't give much room for the length of a fish
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDCUT View Post
I'm still new to the kayak fishing craze but I'm very interested in participating in some of the upcoming tourneys. The question I have is, what setups are people using to keep their catch live for weigh-ins? Any advice would be appreciated!
Personally I use the larger vittles container for 90% of my fishing, but for tournaments when you need to keep the fish alive, I'll setup a small cooler to let the fish have room to swim.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
salty pirate

I usually just keep live bait in my live well but have had 3 lmb 17"-21" in it for a fw tournament. If you need any help setting up let me know, Im in Temecula too.

Eli
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
COLDCUT
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty pirate View Post
I usually just keep live bait in my live well but have had 3 lmb 17"-21" in it for a fw tournament. If you need any help setting up let me know, Im in Temecula too.

Eli
Thanks Eli, I guess figuring out the size of the live well container will be the key. Maybe I'll just wind up doing two separate containers, one for bait and one for a live well. Maybe I can set up an interchangeable pump system that will work with both. It's good to know I have some help here in Temecula. As soon as the holidays are over and I have a little more time I'm gonna try to start outfitting. I'll be sure to bounce some ideas your way.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
BillzBaitz

I dont want to thread jack but are the OEX live wells big enough for the bass tourneys? Are the hobie ones big enough? i want to do the right thing once and not end up buying a bunch of different live wells.
BillzBaitz is offline   Reply With Quote