Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
30lbbg2299

Hobie Oasis or Outfitter?

Looking to get a kayak that has a good amount of storing ability. Main purpose for the yak is to get fishing faster and more and to be able to have multiple people out. Mostly saltwater use occasional freshwater use. Fishing la jolla mostly.
which one has more storing room?
what are the advantages of one over another?
Which one would you get and why?
30lbbg2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
theluckypig

i have an oasis... it's great. not a lot of storage space, but plenty of go! i use it as a tandem, with my wife, and sometimes a single in the front seat. i look like a kayak pickup... also for hooping it's awesome. the design of the hull on the newer oasis is the same as the revo. it moves great, and extremely stable. my .02
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
Emeraldbaykayaks
Junior

When I used to do kayak fishing charters I had a outfitter and that thing was a great two person kayak. It was super stable and could plow threw some chop. The storage was the only thing that i didn't like. But I like the Oasis alot because it has the front hatch

Last edited by Emeraldbaykayaks; 02-14-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Emeraldbaykayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
IslanderFishing

I recently purchased an Oasis 2012. Oasis has more storage space than the Outfitter. It has a front hatch; the Outfitter does not. I like it because I can kayak with my wife or kids or just by myself.

I went out a couple weeks ago in La Jolla by myself. Sat in the back seat. Didn't have any difficulty pedaling even with the nose slightly up since weight distribution was not even. If you go out by yourself, you may want to invest in a ballast like the Sumo Seatsac to offset weight when kayaking alone. Again, I was okay without a ballast, but it may make it easier especially if waves or tides are high.

If you are truly interested, I recommend demo'ing it at a nearby Hobie dealer to see and feel the difference. I did, and it made it easier for me to decide. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.
IslanderFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
oneyedeer

stability=outfitter and beats out older model oasis hands down....but newer oasis = faster, more balanced to carry, hobie bait tank capability, front and back stirring which will give you choice of sitting in the front or back when you solo
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
StinkyMatt

Don't know jack about Oasis.

Own an Oufitter. Super stable, can easily stand in it. Think Outback for Two. The front does not have a hatch but there is a huge space in front, I use a big arse dry bag and load it up. Mine does not accept the hobie tank so I had to buy a little bait tank for it. Pretty quick for a big ole beast. My son regularly takes naps in the front while the old guy in the back paddles all day.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

The Oasis is more ocean going, accommodates the live well. My wife and I took the Outfitter to La Jolla and she got a bit wet heading into afternoon chop. My dad and I really liked the Oasis to fish.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

The Outfitter has a 450 lb capacity rating and is a wet and low ride, but is a great fishing platform. I've taken waves over the top and in the chest, sub-marined it many times while fishing LaJolla and Cabrillo. As long as you have forward movement you can keep it righted! It is a very stable platform.

• Length Overall: 12' 8" / 3.86 m
  • Fitted Hull Weight: 86.0 lbs / 39.01 kg
  • Fully Rigged Weight: 111.6 lbs / 50.62 kg
  • Width w/ Amas Out: 34" / 0.86 m
  • Height: 18" / 46 cm
  • MirageDrive™ Weight: 6.6 lbs / 3 kg
  • Capacity: 450 lbs / 204 kg
  • Crew: 1-2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00275.jpg (78.0 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00240.jpg (81.0 KB, 119 views)
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:36 AM   #9
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Here's a link to some more discussion about the Oasis and Outfitter....

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...utfitter+oasis
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
FishNinjaY

I'm in the same boat (ha.. pun?)..

Considering the Oasis vs Outfitter.. but my question is that I plan on fishing solo maybe 60% of the time. Which tandem kayak performs better if solo? Realistically, it seems that if I'm sitting in the back, I won't be getting stuff out of the front-most hatch, right? Can I sit in the front? I'm 5ft-11in, about 250lbs.

Ok.. thanks all...
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

Hobie put dual controls front and back because they feel solo sitting up front is closer to center and what they recommend. I found it easy enough to fish from the rear seat solo.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
IslanderFishing

I sit in the rear seat solo on my Oasis. Easier for me to reach my bait tank. I still access the front-most hatch. Just have to crawl carefully.
IslanderFishing is offline   Reply With Quote