Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #21
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Way too much hardware for my liking. Probably is a little better on a peddle boat but on a real kayak it's too hard to control in the real world of wind and structure.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #22
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
Way too much hardware for my liking. Probably is a little better on a peddle boat but on a real kayak it's too hard to control in the real world of wind and structure.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #23
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
Are you referring to a standard bounce ball rig or the way I do it?

I hear you on the standard rig but the rig I use consists of a weight a swivel and a lure. No bait, no trap rigs, no flashers. It's actually the simplest easiest way I know to fish for halibut with a kayak. You don't need a bait tank you don't have to buy bait or frozen squid, and all the tackle fits in your pocket and a small box.

This is actually the way I fish when I don't want to carry a bunch of gear.

You can tie up before you ever go out hook the lure to a rod guide then when your on the water all you have to do is put a weight on, unhook the lure from the guide, drop it in the water lower it to the bottom and either drift or paddle.

It's really pretty simple which is kind of the beauty of the thing.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #24
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post

I hear you on the standard rig but the rig I use consists of a weight a swivel and a lure. No bait, no trap rigs, no flashers. It's actually the simplest easiest way I know to fish for halibut with a kayak. You don't need a bait tank you don't have to buy bait or frozen squid, and all the tackle fits in your pocket and a small box.

You can tie up before you ever go out hook the lure to a rod guide then when your on the water all you have to do is put a weight on, unhook the lure from the guide, drop it in the water lower it to the bottom and either drift or paddle.

2X if it wiggles and is within 0-10 feet of the bottom it will get butt bit. Keep it simple.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #25
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
2X if it wiggles and is within 0-10 feet of the bottom it will get butt bit. Keep it simple.

Yeah people think bait fishing is simple but it's not. You have to buy the bait or make bait you have to have the equipment to keep it alive you have to put the bait on watch the rod, constantly check the bait and then replace it with fresh bait when it get's chewed on.

Often when I drift fish fish bait I'll put one of these rigs out as second rod so I'll always have something down there when I'm checking or changing bait etc... Basically if your moving it's fishing and you only have to pull it up when you have a fish.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #26
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post

Actually Jim yours looks a bit easier but it took 1652 words to describe it so I figured it wasn't for me. I actually used a scaled down version of what you described for fishing Walleye when I lived in Minnesota. Same technique but smaller versions of hard baits.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #27
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Same technique but smaller versions of hard baits.
You're forgetting the inflated nightcrawler threaded through all three trebles.

I prefer a deep diving floating hard bait when bouncing on a 12-16oz ball. CDs are good for a boat BB but I find they're too close to the bottom to have a slow sink lure while kayaking.

YMMV
Old 12-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #28
blitzburgh

That is one damn great post, Jim. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #29
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
That is one damn great post, Jim. Thank you!
X2

I always figure if my posts are too long, don't read them, it's maybe your loss, as there might be just something in there that will help the next guy out. Mind you I don't read every word of another's long post, and maybe I lose out too. I scanned Jim's post and got the jist of it. But I always appreciate the time and effort he puts out to provide information to other fishermen. To that I give a big thumbs up.

Also, while Julie and I have great gaffs for LJ that we purchased, I also have a very similiar homemade gaff like Jim's, with some slight differences. It uses an oversized double hook used for tuna trolling feathers, the barbs slightly filed down, and the gap was widened. The gap is still much narrower than our bought one's, but if there was a 'cuda run going on and we wanted to keep some for smoking or Italian dressing on the grill, it's the only gaff we'd use. Strong enough I'd trust it on a yellow, but we very much prefer the bought ones for that because of their wider gap.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #30
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
I don't read every word of another's long post, and maybe I lose out too. I scanned Jim's post and got the jist of it. But I always appreciate the time and effort he puts out to provide information to other fishermen. To that I give a big thumbs up.
Thanks!! My take is that not everyone get's this stuff right away so I figure I might as well put in the concept and how it works beyond the simple it's a swivel weight and a Rapala. I actually like to write anyway, it makes me rethink ideas, and with my dyslexia it's good practice and a challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Also, while Julie and I have great gaffs for LJ that we purchased, I also have a very similiar homemade gaff like Jim's, with some slight differences. It uses an oversized double hook used for tuna trolling feathers, the barbs slightly filed down, and the gap was widened.
We used to use those double hook gaffs on Mike's boat all the time, but since I don't keep Barries any more I don't carry one one anymore.

I'm not too worried about my gaff situation

I have a bunch of gaffs but only four gaffs I really use, and I made all of them. On my skiff I carry three.

The one mentioned that I use for small stuff.

A heavy aluminum fixed gaff and a Flying gaff. that I use for bigger fish.

I've had them all for a long time, I really like that hardwood one because it's really light weight and the aluminum ones are actually pretty decent gaffs.

I don't know if you remember it but the Original BD Logo had a decked bleeding tuna with that gaff in it. That was my gaff and they derived the image from this pic..

For Kayaking I use essentially a small barbed flygaff I made where the hook fits in the shaft but is spliced to a rope. Once you gaff the fish you can let the hook slide out of the end of the aluminum tube and let the fish hang still gaffed on the rope.

I know it's unorthodox but that's how we do it for big game, and I don't like flopping a hot fish between my legs. Unless there's seals or sharks around I usually gaff them then let them hang, and cut the gills and bleed em out while still in the water.

Thanks for the comeback, and info on your wife's fish. Like I said some friends have got big ones on rapalas but that was a hell of a fish.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 12-12-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #31
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
Fiskadoro gets 25 bonus points and a fresh dead for the best how to story for December so far...and not even one mention of "radiation impact..." I did the 2 rod 3 way rapala tour this summer and everything was going smooth til I decided to make a wide turn w/o winding the lines in....
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #32
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea View Post
Fiskadoro gets 25 bonus points and a fresh dead for the best how to story for December so far...and not even one mention of "radiation impact..." I did the 2 rod 3 way rapala tour this summer and everything was going smooth til I decided to make a wide turn w/o winding the lines in....

BAHAHAHAHA

That reminds me of the time I was dragging a flasher and decided to hang a left and followed that by a right turn followed by a full stop

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote