Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Ohana

Newport Harbor Back Bay, 10/16/2009

I finally found some time to use my new Hobie Revolution today. Since it was my first time using her, I planned to just get used to how she rides and using the fishfinder/GPS, but ended the day catching some nice bass and halibuts.

I got out late, launching from the Newport Aquatics Center at 11:00 am. The water conditions were nice, with the tide heading down to a 2:30 pm low tide. Water was brown, but still warm (high-60's). I ended the day at 3:00 pm, catching and releasing 6 bay bass and 2 halibut (one unintentionally); the unintentional release one was legal size, but as I was reaching for my camera, the knot broke. Always fun to watch the fish sink away! Most of the action happened during the water movement from high to low tide, but the biggest bass was caught right after low tide.

Here are a couple pictures of two of the bass:

Name:  HPIM0790.jpg
Views: 2999
Size:  27.0 KB
Name:  HPIM0791.jpg
Views: 1913
Size:  49.1 KB

All the fish were caught on crankbaits; the halibuts were caught while trolling.

Nice first time trip fishing off my kayak. And the fishfinder/GPS worked great! Drew at OEX/Oceanside did a great job setting this boat up!

Next weekend, I hope to try fishing outside Dana Pt.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
T Bone

good job! decent sized spottie too!

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
crabkracker
Junior

Nice first session! Welcome to the tupperware riders! I fish NPH often in my Revo too. Launch closer to the opening of the bay for more variety and life.
crabkracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Ohana

Thanks for the feedback.

I hope to fish outside NPH once I gain more experience.

Kevin
Old 10-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
bentrod1

I've launched my yak there just 2 times at Newport Dunes. I sure would like to save some paddling and drop in near the mouth of the harbor. Where do you launch around there?
bentrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:32 AM   #6
SeaEagle_1

nice to see another fish the back bay! that is where i first started kayak fishing too! i do have a fondness for that body of water. and there are some good places to fish back there if you know where to go.

bentrod1 -- there are a few places you can launch closer to the mouth of the harbor there. cost guard beach is one a lot of guys like. but myself i prefer balboa myself. i launch from K street all the time. but anywhere from I through K is a great place to launch.
SeaEagle_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
Ohana

My wife has a soccer game Sunday morning, so I am planning to be out there again Sunday afternoon; the tide is going from a high to low, so the flow should be pretty good.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
bentrod1

I was planning on going tomorrow morning (dinner plans for the afternoon/evening). Too nice of weather to pass up. Wish I could meet you out there Ohana.

I've mostly fished the main channel and the four corners. Now that I have the kayak it looks like I'll be exploring the back bay more.

SeaEagle - Thanks for the launch sites for closer to the mouth. I'll probably drop in around K st. if parking isn't an issue.

I'll be in the "Big Stick" Orange, yellow and red Perception. It's always more fun to catch with witnesses, so feel free to say hey if you see me out there.

-Bret
Old 10-25-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
Ohana

Bret:

Good luck to you today.

My wife has come down with a cold, so this has put a kibosh on my plans to go out this afternoon.

I may ziggy out there later this week.

Kevin
Old 10-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
bentrod1

Nice day on the bay

I fished Newport Harbor today and within 20 minutes of launch I was lucky enough to c & r a nice sand bass (weird injury/infection on his head though). The action came to screeching halt around 10 am but not before I landed a bonito (first ever inside the harbor - I was very surprised), also halibut and barracuda were active.

Kevin: Sorry to hear about your wife's cold - I hope she feels better real soon so you can get those lines wet.

SeaEagle: K st. was perfect! Thank You!!
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2009, 06:45 AM   #11
Ohana

Looks like you had a good day!

Hopefully the weather stays good this week so I can get out either Thursday or Friday.

Kevin
Old 10-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #12
CobraTandem

Nice bass and that's cool you got a bonita on the plastic inside the harbor. Were you on a slow bass retrieve or were you jigging it fast?

The last time I caught a bonita in the harbor was in 1987. They used to be some fun to fall back on when everything else slowed. Then suddenly they became scarce like everywhere else.
CobraTandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #13
bentrod1

Cobra: Funny you should ask - I was slow trolling the swim bait as I was heading toward the bait barge. I decided to try casting and bumping it along the bottom (lost a nice halibut that way with the same bait last time out) and the sucker grabbed it just before I pulled it out of the water! Same thing happened with the 'cuda. They're definitely not afraid of the yaks
Old 10-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #14
Ohana

Those bones are great on fly rods. I will have to try for them on the fly rod next time I am out there

Kevin
Old 11-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #15
sundog
Junior

There are two places to launch near the outlet of newport harbor. One is the coast guard area on the north side and there is another spot close to the jetty on the south side. Be there early, parking can be a challange. I like the south side launch. Sundog
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote