Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Stoneale
Banned

Lightbulb Hoopin Tonight - Dana Point 11/19/09

So.. I got my Scotty sea light installed. I modded it a bit, and added some reflective tape:

Scotty Sea Light

I also bought just one of the Promar Ambush hoop nets from Hogan's Bait and Tackle yesterday. They have really good prices on them. I figured I would start out with one net to get the hang of it.

Promar Fixed Arm "Ambush" Lobster Trap

So.. I am going to give hooping a try tonight. I plan on leaving after work.. at around 5:30pm and heading over to DP harbor. Anyone ever go hooping in DP? If so mind sharing some of your secret spots?

Stoneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
SGV Rookie

How did it go?

So how was your first hooping trip?
SGV Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
JoeBeck

Last year there were many post of legals caught right at the opening of the jetty right at the point on the far west side.

I've never hooped there though.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
Stoneale
Banned

Well long story short.. I caught an eel and a bunch of kelp. No lobsters.. This was my first time on the water at night, so I was just trying to get used to that as well.

I wanted to be on the water before sunset, but that didn't happen. I dropped the net about 20+ times.. I was using mackerel for bait. I let the net set for about 15-20 minutes. When I would pull it up.. the bait look untouched. I tried around the rocks by the beach side. I also tried hooping near this great fishing spot in the harbor.. but only to find out that its a misdemeanor to hoopnet in the harbor. The OC sheriff was not to happy with me last night.. but to be honest, I didn't know. O well.

Ill give it another try on Saturday.. I need to find out where the good spots are.

Overall it was nice to be out on the water last night. The water was really glassy.. and it wasn't to cold. It kind of felt like I was in a lake rather than the ocean.
Stoneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
Willy

Looks like you might know this anyway Stone, but here's a bit of general knowledge for anyone who might need it.

Good spots are anywhere near structure, especially rocky structure. Bugs live in the rocks, and leave them at night for their food. Try not to drop on the rocks, just near them. Kelp on the surface is always a good indicator you are near some kind of structure, as kelp grows on rocks.

Make sure to hack up your macks or whatever bait you are using a little bit.
Score it with a knife or somthing so the scent leaks out a bit, and the pieces are easier for the bugs to get at, but not so much that they take it all.

Watch for the man in the grey suit. He will take your bait.

Be safe.
Have fun.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote