Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #1
svendawg

Salty yellowtail

Yanni

I tried your Smoked Yellowtail recipe the other day and it turned out to be a little salty. Should I brine it for less time or do I need to rinse the fillets real good when I take them out of the brine.
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #2
summers in kuwait

Yanni!

I have a couple questions:

This one isn't about cooking directly, but more about the prep.

What type of cutlery do you use or recommend and do you prefer a certain blade or tool for different types of fish?

Second question, I really liked the CA style, yellowtail gravlaxs idea and thought "what other recipes or ideas do you have for salt cured fish?

Thanks.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #3
dmrides

Yanni your recipes are top notch and your videos are awesome. I have wowed both friends and family this year by trying to recreate your masterpieces. Though sadly WSB has not been on my menu this year.

When my day of fishing is done (skunk or not) I open the doors of my bait prison and let the inmates free. On my skunk days I look at those little bait fish and think, YT eat you and YT taste good, I bet you taste good too. Do you have any preparation techniques and/ or recipes for any of our local bait?
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:47 PM   #4
FISH11

Hi Yanni, I love all the recipes you post and only wish I was a good enough cook and had some of the fish you used to be able to cook more of your recipes. I would like to know how you think would be a good way to prepare some local bonito (since lately they have been out in numbers in La Jolla). I was hoping for some better way than baking with bacon or some way to substitute it for something else like tuna. Thanks in advance and I will look forward to your post.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:26 AM   #5
Murray

Yanni,

Do you have any recipes for tartar sauce? Also would like to know what spices to use when cooking fish. Thanks so much for your website. Your videos are awesome and motivate me to try different ways to cook and prepare my catch.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #6
kayakfisherman

Mako Bob Qs:

Thanks Bob, for trusting me with your belly!!

Q1: Mild Mexican spices for delicate fish? Bob, Zafron, and Turmeric are used in Mexican cuisine a lot. Not so much for their flavor, especially since they are not strong, but for their color. Both add a brilliant yellowish orange to your fish and are packed with health benefits. Favorite Recipes for mild fish? Create a dry rub using one part salt, one part pepper, and one part 50-50 zafron/turmeric. Rub your fish, then grill it. Squeeze lemon before eating.

Q2: How much cooking time is required for thin fillets? Not much. Here's the general rule of thumb. Cook the first side until the color you want is achieved,
then flip the fillet over and only cook it for half the time the first side took. Cooking the fillet for equal times on both side is a big mistake. Cooking is trial and error. Don't be afraid to screw up, once or twice. But learn as you go.

Q3: Sierras? Love fighting them on light tackle, love eating them too. Sierras are mild flakey fish. They make a great ceviche, or baked and/or fried with bread crumbs (to lock in the juices).
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:17 PM   #7
captnblood34

Thanks again
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:27 PM   #8
kayakfisherman

Mr JB

First off Big John, congrats on that Dana Point Yellow!! Them are hard to come by, I know.

Q: How to fillet a yellowtail? John, I don't have a video showing that. But, I realize I need to. I will fillet one up. Just as a general How To. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Last edited by kayakfisherman; 09-26-2015 at 09:40 PM.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:30 AM   #9
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Yanni, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Going back to Gonzaga next week and will play with the corvina. Tight lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
Thanks Bob, for trusting me with your belly!!

Q1: Mild Mexican spices for delicate fish? Bob, Zafron, and Turmeric are used in Mexican cuisine a lot. Not so much for their flavor, especially since they are not strong, but for their color. Both add a brilliant yellowish orange to your fish and are packed with health benefits. Favorite Recipes for mild fish? Create a dry rub using one part salt, one part pepper, and one part 50-50 zafron/turmeric. Rub your fish, then grill it. Squeeze lemon before eating.

Q2: How much cooking time is required for thin fillets? Not much. Here's the general rule of thumb. Cook the first side until the color you want is achieved,
then flip the fillet over and only cook it for half the time the first side took. Cooking the fillet for equal times on both side is a big mistake. Cooking is trial and error. Don't be afraid to screw up, once or twice. But learn as you go.

Q3: Sierras? Love fighting them on light tackle, love eating them too. Sierras are mild flakey fish. They make a great ceviche, or baked and/or fried with bread crumbs (to lock in the juices).

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote