Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
The pelican

Late Kayak Tuna Reports (Pics)

Sorry for the late report. It's been a year so hopefully I'm not ruining the hot LJ tuna bite for the guys who put in the miles in 2015.

Just wanted to keep the stoke going for all the guys who have been chasing tuna lately. It's died down this week but you never know what you'll get until you make the trip. If you go, please stay safe but I really hope some kayak guys land a few this year.

A couple pics from last year's epic summer to keep the juices flowing....

Report: First two pics are BFT and YFT caught on separate back to back La Jolla trips last summer. 30 miles round trip each time, slow trolled greenbacks in 1 million feet of water straight off the condo. 65 lb power pro to 6 ft of 25lb flouro (don't even think of going that light if you're making the trip 7/2016).

Also pictured - fishing buddy, Kit and one of his two YFT from trip #1. He used the electric Old Town Predator kayak to get out there. If anyone's looking for an easy way to get offshore. Awesome yak and I was super jealous all summer. Unfortunately he needs to sell it. Let me know if anyone's interested.

Not pictured - Kit's Bull dorado lost at gaff on trip#1 and his second yft.

Bull dorado lost at color on trip #2 by Bert Vega. Don't worry Bert got his YFT an hour after losing the monstah dodo. Here's Bert's rad go pro video... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfk_RwVqLXo

Who wants one?
Attached Images

Last edited by The pelican; 07-28-2016 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Add video of Bert vega's lost dorado and landed yft
The pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Lipripper92592

Still jealous I am. Fat little butter ball there......that one is going to look like bait compared to the next one.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Last year it was about All in July............hoping August this year!
Old 07-28-2016, 05:19 PM   #4
The pelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Last year it was about All in July............hoping August this year!

I hope you're right about August! Actually, I think that second pic of the little yellowfin was from August 10th. Someone's gonna get a big one this summer. Lip ripper and I spotted some close-to-cow sized models within kayak range on Saturday on the boat. I know some yak guys were out there that day. Just bring the heavy floro and big hooks. 80lb wasn't enough for us to seal the deal last weekend. They have teeth!!
The pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Great lookin fish their pelican, lets hope you and a couple others here can duplicate later in the season!
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:16 PM   #6
maquinapescado

I had the cow sized one wire on Saturday with the wrong gear and the wrong attitude. I'm tuned in now and willing/going to hammer it in the time and effort. Triple digit tuna this year.