Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Kahouna

Mission Bay

A buddy and I were thinking of making the trip down there on Sunday to see what all this bug activity is about. He snorkeled it a couple years ago and got a bunch. We were thinking of launching at Mariner's Basin. Is that area good for parking and launching? I see parking areas and a nice sandy beach, but don't know if there are times that you can't be there or it is the hotspot that requires a two week notice to obtain parking?

Are there areas closed to hooping and snorkeling? I will probably man the nets while he is diving but if it looks good, I'll jump in too.

Not to poach spots or start any heartburn, just wondering if there are decent spots other than the little bit I see online?

Appreciate the info so far, just need dialed in a little more.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Kahouna

Thanks guys. I guess we'll go it blind and bring bail money.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Deamon

K, the jetty holds its share of bugs. Free divers, scuba and hoopers all hit it regularly but if you're the first one in an area, your chances will increase. Hoopers can definitely get fk'd over by divers working the same stretch of rocks. Frustrating but not much you can do about it except throw bricks or drop jigs with sharp treble hooks on top of them. Sunday night will not be as crowded as F or Sat. Mariners Cove parking lot closes at 10pm(?) but it's free and usually has spaces available to park. The lot directly across the st from the roller coaster is open 24/7 but there will be a short walk to the jetty required. Another option for the hoopers is to drop their traps randomly throughout the bay looking for crawlers but that can be hit or miss...good luck. Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Pinoyfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
throw bricks or drop jigs with sharp treble hooks on top of them.
wow, are f'ing serious? Bugs are that important to you that you're willing to possibly end someone's life and risk prison time for an over hyped aquatic roach?
Pinoyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
K, the jetty holds its share of bugs. Free divers, scuba and hoopers all hit it regularly but if you're the first one in an area, your chances will increase. Hoopers can definitely get fk'd over by divers working the same stretch of rocks. Frustrating but not much you can do about it except throw bricks or drop jigs with sharp treble hooks on top of them. Sunday night will not be as crowded as F or Sat. Mariners Cove parking lot closes at 10pm(?) but it's free and usually has spaces available to park. The lot directly across the st from the roller coaster is open 24/7 but there will be a short walk to the jetty required. Another option for the hoopers is to drop their traps randomly throughout the bay looking for crawlers but that can be hit or miss...good luck. Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoyfisher View Post
wow, are f'ing serious? Bugs are that important to you that you're willing to possibly end someone's life and risk prison time for an over hyped aquatic roach?

I'll get the popcorn

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoyfisher View Post
lol. chill out bro. he's referring to past threads where all kinds of "tactics" where thought of to deter divers from nets.

i'm sure he's not serious.

i immediately thought of that thread and laughed, which, i'm sure, is what he was going for.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

Sooooo how about them Dodgers guys ?
JohnnyCope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCope View Post
Touche'
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCope View Post
better yet the colts.

ill get the popcorn.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
Dannowar

You're gonna ask for bug spots then get sarcastic when nobody tells you exactly where to go? C'mon. Learn for yourself. It makes it that much sweeter.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:41 AM   #11
Kahouna

Easy everybody...take a deep breath. Deamon, that was what I was looking for. I just wanted to make sure we had a decent place to launch and park. I prefer to find my own, on my own.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #12
roadx

parking mariners basin

in mission beach across from belmont roller coaster (bay side) at first stop light heading south, turn left into the parking lot and stay to your right. there's all night free parking. one of the few all night parking lots. bring wheels because the beach at this section of the bay is very wide and soft. mariners is a pretty central location, 1.5 miles paddle to the mouth of the mission bay harbor.

good luck