Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

Hobie LOWRANCE READY TOTAL SCAN

72020207 PLATE KIT, LOWRANCE READY TOTAL SCAN Since the release of the Lowrance TotalScan transducer, we’ve received a high demand from our customers for a Lowrance Ready mounting plate that accommodates this transducer. In response, Hobie and Lowrance teamed up to design a Lowrance Ready transducer plate specifically designed for the TotalScan transducer.
The Lowrance Ready TotalScan transducer plate leaves the transducer free of obstruction, allowing the side imaging technology to function with optimal performance while still providing protection against head-on collision damage. The Lowrance Ready mounting plate for TotalScan transducers works in conjunction with the plug-and-play Lowrance Ready System found on popular Hobie® fishing kayaks and is available now.

$34.99
Attached Images
File Type: jpg titransplate.jpg (25.0 KB, 272 views)
Old 08-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
JeffB

Is it for all Lowrance units that use the LSS or just the Elite models?
Old 08-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Awesome
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:13 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Total scan transducers are supported with HDS gen 2s? Anyone know?
Old 08-17-2016, 02:30 AM   #5
bolocop

Sorry, I thought this post was a joke. I had to verify on the Hobie website before I believed it.

The new plate looks like a normal Lowrance ready plate with a giant dildo going through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
72020207 PLATE KIT, LOWRANCE READY TOTAL SCAN Since the release of the Lowrance TotalScan transducer, we’ve received a high demand from our customers for a Lowrance Ready mounting plate that accommodates this transducer. In response, Hobie and Lowrance teamed up to design a Lowrance Ready transducer plate specifically designed for the TotalScan transducer.
The Lowrance Ready TotalScan transducer plate leaves the transducer free of obstruction, allowing the side imaging technology to function with optimal performance while still providing protection against head-on collision damage. The Lowrance Ready mounting plate for TotalScan transducers works in conjunction with the plug-and-play Lowrance Ready System found on popular Hobie® fishing kayaks and is available now.

$34.99
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:48 AM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
Sorry, I thought this post was a joke. I had to verify on the Hobie website before I believed it.

The new plate looks like a normal Lowrance ready plate with a giant dildo going through it.

Happens to just be the shape of the new transducers.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

Nope, no gen2 support. You need a gen3 or higher to take advantage of the new total scan transducer.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:49 AM   #8
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Surf landing= damage

Hand launch using dock = damage

Putting it on car rack = damage

Landing it on boat ramp= hope you don't scratch to badly

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:52 AM   #9
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Nope, no gen2 support. You need a gen3 or higher to take advantage of the new total scan transducer.

Thank you. Anyone else running these total scans? Worth the upgrade? I see the transducer by itself is around $300. Are they starting to sell these inside of new unit boxes yet?
Old 08-17-2016, 07:53 AM   #10
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Surf landing= damage

Hand launch using dock = damage

Putting it on car rack = damage

Landing it on boat ramp= hope you don't scratch to badly

Isnt the whole point of the plate to not cause damage to the unit? To me it looks stream line enough to not be a big deal.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #11
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Isnt the whole point of the plate to not cause damage to the unit? To me it looks stream line enough to not be a big deal.
Though this is true, uniformity of the material the sound energy is transmitting through is critical. Deformations, even small scratches, can cause refraction and deflection with the outgoing and incoming energy that results in imaging errors.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:32 AM   #12
Iceman
Administrator

available on the 5 TI, working on an install right now.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:35 AM   #13
TJones

ya this is a joke and the dealer is always playing around

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post

thank you.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #14
tattuna

If that thing would fit on my Tarpon it'd help a ton. Good luck with the install and thanks!
Old 08-17-2016, 08:48 AM   #15
TJones

interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Total scan transducers are supported with HDS gen 2s? Anyone know?
the hds 3 and 2 will run these transducers but both would be separated . am i wrong? and now with the new units everything is all bundled into one transducer? somebody help me out?
Old 08-17-2016, 09:03 AM   #16
TJones

from navico

the total scan transducer is 83/200 kHz only . some guys prefer the 83/200 kHz. , but lets be real, most guys are running the 50/200 kHz. transducers. another thing pointed out was the vulnerability of the now more exposed plate. anyone want to comment? is anyone currently using side imagining with any amount of reasonable success? about 4-5 years ago i was running a hummingbird 898 si. that unit was the bomb. but the technology was different and the transducer was massive and came with too many drawbacks for kayak users.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #17
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I have the lss2 transducer its like 11 inches long, and i mounted it on the spare cassette when i am in single kayak mode instead of tandem.1. I can just pull it out when im landing.

Another way i have seen people mount it, its over the side using a transducer arm, or on the rear rail mount.

Makes bait easier to find, since it scans the sides. WHen water gets choppy, the water transducer reading also get super choppy.

i like it, is it necessary: no

but its just another tool to have.... I have some waypoints back from 2010 that have moved a bit due to gps trajectory or what not.... i now use the side scan to see where it moved too...

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #18
monstahfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
the total scan transducer is 83/200 kHz only . some guys prefer the 83/200 kHz. , but lets be real, most guys are running the 50/200 kHz. transducers. another thing pointed out was the vulnerability of the now more exposed plate. anyone want to comment? is anyone currently using side imagining with any amount of reasonable success? about 4-5 years ago i was running a hummingbird 898 si. that unit was the bomb. but the technology was different and the transducer was massive and came with too many drawbacks for kayak users.
A guy I know has been testing this for months and used it in all the previously listed conditions with no problems. Also the design was approved by lowrance. It's a little annoying pulling it up a dock, but not an issue otherwise. In regards to the boat ramp, obviously be as careful with it as you would your kayak and there should be no issues.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:09 PM   #19
Dingokevin

Berley pro makes a better plate with the whole transducer protected

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dingokevin; 08-17-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Dingokevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:53 PM   #20
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
Though this is true, uniformity of the material the sound energy is transmitting through is critical. Deformations, even small scratches, can cause refraction and deflection with the outgoing and incoming energy that results in imaging errors.
My stock lowrance ready plate it badly battered and my image looks great. And Im not talking small scratches. Im talking some serious gouges.