Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
spongebob_82

KAYAK TOURNY (KEEPING FISH ALIVE)

godspeed619 and i are fishing the mission bay tourny next week and were wondering something. we need to keep our fish alive for weighin and do not own live wells yet. we were thinking that we could make and 8in giant live bait tube to keep our fish in until the end of the tourny or till the boat comes around to weigh our fish. any thoughts?
spongebob_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
steveooo

you can borrow my livewell. The drive to pomona might be a b&%$# though...
Dont see why a tube wouldnt work though, other than you will have 8 inches of drag if you want to paddle anwhere...
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
hooked
on phonics

get one of those cheap fish baskets with the floating lid on a hinge, we used to use them to keep bluegill as a kid. They work fine for a few hours.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
kayak jack

They are so easy to make, and you have over a week to get it done. Just about any kayak web site has a how to direction on it. GETTER DONE.
kayak jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
Aguayak

You can buy a lid and a bubbler for around 8 bucks at the walmart, then buy a bucket, it'll keep em alive. If you build a bait tube it'll have to be big. Depending on your yak you could use an ice chest and the bubbler you bought at wallies world.

Then I'd start looking real serious at getting/making something good. Let's face it, no matter what you do it'll only be good for the small stuff.
Aguayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
godspeed619

Me and spongebob were just throwin darts in the dark on that idea. We both bave small bait tubes but were just wondering what everyone thought. Does the bubbler from walmart keep those guys kickin? probably not nearly as well as a live well...My whole 2cents on it that i know a wire basket will work but i dont want to be pullin an anchor all day.... i think im either gonna try the bubbler or a supersized bass tube.
godspeed619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #7
Mo Betta

Drag the wire basket.

I need all the help I can get

4" ABS pipe {look in the cut pipe bin} and a couple of 4" jim caps{ rubber caps}. Drill some holes in it, it should work. $15.00 or less. Remember me if I run out of Gulp
Mo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote