Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-20-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
vellocity

10/20 am

got out early, made bait outside the pier in 60' at grey light.. candy bar size greenies everywhere.. tried a slow deep mid column troll amongst the hordes of bait, ahhh over it and went to check out the point..
saw Ken doing the AM paddle looking for 2 pointers..

slow trolled alongside all the lobster bouys..
lots of bait on the meter.
yoyo'ed here and there.. around 8am i finally saw some good marks at 120', dropped the 6Xjr and on the 2nd drop got HAMMERED! hung a good YT for all of 5 mins and it towed me in a few circles and took some decent drag before i started to feel that familiar RUBBING of kelp!! what?? i looked at my meter and there was no kelp on the screen? looked around and didn't see any bouys close enough to give me problems?
got stuck in a stalemate for about another 10 more minutes before i started getting impaitient and pulling harder.. i was too chicken to freespool a treble hook and let it try and saw through, with a circle hook, no problem, with a jig, nah..
anyways, i broke it off after a few more frustrating minutes.. might have been a submersed bouy line as my mono was frayed pretty badly?? either way that was the only strike of the right kind and probably my last shot of this summertime YT..
i hate yoyo fishing..

an hour later had a ZZZinger on the clicker, set the hook, rod loaded up nicely then it was a zipping surface battle and knew it was a big bonito or cuda.....sure enough, released about a 6# bonito.. pretty good sized one too!

bailed about 1015am..
water visability pretty good on the NW corner.. beautiful morning with some decent north to south current..

good luck..
N
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:53 AM   #2
Dennis

Thanks, Nelz.. I was waiting for your report. Bummer how you lost that one. I couldn't make it up yesterday.. The winds looked pretty stiff. So, I'll make my move tomorrow.
See ya,
D
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:16 PM   #3
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Hey Nelz, its been a long time. Good to see you out there in the hunt, and hooking up!!

Launched at gray light after a few tips from the captain of Shake Rattle and Row!

Knee high surf and a light off shore breeze greeted me as I paddled north to the promised land.

I got buzzed by a major exodus of cormorants. They were heading north, hundreds of them. :shock:

Easy perfecto greenbacks and the token lizard fish and I am off to el norte.

I trolled the surf line all the way to the furthest reef and then the whipped a biiatch and worked my way back in deeper water.

All for nada!

The offshore died at 9:30 and I enjoyed glass-like conditions for forty-five minutes, then a mild onshore kicked in.

I observed many purple jellyfish, including this lampshade.

Landed at high tide in mild surf.

The launch is destroyed, hopefully the city will step up and repair it quickly? :roll:

Nice morning on the water.

Fishing and hooping for lobster PM mañana, company welcome!!

Ken

PS Brad good luck, I hope that Saturn does not end up in your Uranus. See ya in bendoville!! :twisted:
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:25 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
i hate yoyo fishing..
I refuse to start yoyo fishing until December. If I started now, that would be like 5 months of dropping and grinding. Sorry about the lost one, sounds like a submerged buoy line, I suffered a few of those last year.

Cool pic Ken, but why did ya superimpose the Freddie Krueger image over it :twisted:
Old 10-20-2005, 05:26 PM   #5
lamb

:lol:

neat pics!

Cool reportz.

Do we need to write to city?

Flats, yolamb... Sounds good to me!

Brad, sorry about your loss of flat.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:15 PM   #6
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Thanks Andy. :twisted: Ken
Old 10-20-2005, 06:48 PM   #7
Dennis

Ken,
How did you do yesterday evening? Any bugs in ya hoop?
-Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:51 AM   #8
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Dennis, on Wednesday the wind was blowing 16 knots+.I bailed.

Ken
Old 10-21-2005, 06:04 AM   #9
madscientist

Yeah, yoyo sucks. Ken, don't be hating the lizards. They rock.

Hope to see you all this weekend. BTW, the hoopty kayak transport is no more. The new ride is much improved. With the launch conditions, its probably a good thing.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:14 AM   #10
Jimm H

Brad:

The trademark Mad-Mobile is no more? Next, you'll get a new hat and shave... then what kind of comedy material will we have left?

What did you get? (and congrats on the new wheels!)
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:09 AM   #11
twinfin

Quote:
Launched at gray light after a few tips from the captain of Shake Rattle and Row!

That guy is funny. Have you seen the lures he uses?? Made of bone from the '40's....he was all paranoid that the fuzz was gonna bust us for crossing the yellow tape at the launch yesterday morning at 4:30....I paddled out while he did his 2 hour warm up routine. Seems pretty harmless I think....

I too was skunked....will try a lunch launch at Del Mar reefs for bass and whaterver else is lurking
twinfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:11 AM   #12
vellocity

Re: Brad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm H
What did you get? (and congrats on the new wheels!)

probably a BMW X5 SUV!!!!!
he lives in La Jolla now and he's got status to up keep!!!
Old 10-21-2005, 08:15 AM   #13
twinfin

scientists are way to practical for a new car....I'm guessing american, used (2003), maybe a silverado or a F150
twinfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #14
vellocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfin
scientists are way to practical for a new car....I'm guessing american, used (2003), maybe a silverado or a F150
yeah, i was gonna say, BUT....

i don't see Brad as a American full sized truck owner..
you're probably right though..
i has hoping Brad had a high maintenence wifey..... "you can go fishing all you want, but we LIVE in La Jolla and i gotta get my nails done!!!"
Old 10-21-2005, 08:23 AM   #15
vellocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellocity
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfin
yeah, i was gonna say, BUT....

i don't see Brad as a American full sized truck owner..
you're probably right though..
i has hoping Brad had a high maintenence wifey..... "you can go fishing all you want, but we LIVE in La Jolla and i gotta get my nails done!!!"
i'm telling you... girlfriends/wives watch these reality TV bullsh*t and it's changing THEIR realities!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2005, 10:09 AM   #16
Pat

Man...I leave for awhile and everybody starts trash talking yoyo-ing.

We'll see if your still saying it in February when there's straight carnage on the 40#'s.

Adios.

See ya in a few weeks.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:01 PM   #17
madscientist

Got the subaru baja. Seemed a good mix of rugged and comfortable and I can throw all my sandy/fishy crap in the back and not stink up a trunk. Since we bike to work the car is mainly for play. Gotta rework my whole routine now though since I actually care about the vehicle.

I'm lucky that my wife is European and thus relatively immune to the crap pushed on TV. Adi can attest to the fact that Croatian women are pretty awesome and tolerant...unless you push too far in which case a big can of slavic whoop-ass gets opened up.

Unfortuantely, we are also moving at the end of the month. The good news is that we are moving to a condo around the corner, so my home-to-launch time is unaffected.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:27 PM   #18
lamb

Hey, Croatia still did not make it in European Union.

…but they probably soon will, given how hip their Adriatic coast has become lately. It really is beautiful… so are their women. But there is no yellowtail, so it sucks… :lol:
Old 10-21-2005, 12:29 PM   #19
vellocity

Pat-
your season is just starting to OPEN! don't mind the grey ski NEXT to you all winter....you didn't mind this year!
i'm thinking a small Electra-Mate reel for yoyoing? my arms are already tired thinking about it!

Brad-
nice choice! i honestly didn't see you in a FULL sized truck...
and where can i TRADE in my American current and upgrade to a European one!!!
Old 10-21-2005, 02:28 PM   #20
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellocity

Brad-
nice choice! i honestly didn't see you in a FULL sized truck...
one!!!
What are you trying to say there Nelz? :?
Quote:
and where can i TRADE in my American current and upgrade to a European
Why trade, go for one of each. 8). If you ever get the chance, i'm sure a suave dude like yourself would find plenty of options in that region of the world. Hell, if Adi and I can score... :shock:

I hope I get to visit the Adriatic coast of Croatia before it is completely overrun with Euro-trash, but I fear those days are numbered. About the only good thing about the ethnic tension was at least it kept the german tourists away.