Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
YakDout
Brandon

Gonzaga Report & Video. Oct 2014

Day one

After the unpack, Mike and I decide to try a little surf fishing down the beach. After catching about 10 orange mouth corvina, trigger fish, spotted bay bass, and others, I can't resist going out on the kayak. Catching roosters on the first evening, I knew this trip was going to be one for the books.

Day two-six

The reason I had to lump all these days together is because I was too busy fishing and having way too much fun to remember what happened on which day. One day we saw big schools of dorado swimming through no more than 2 miles off land. There was a giant rooster feeding with them, must have been about 40-50 pounds. I think just about all of us hooked a dorado at some point although Mike was the only one to land one on this trip. Jig selection played a big roll in getting bit by the Pelagics.

We caught tuna, dorado, roosterfish, some giant sierra, yellowtail and this was just offshore. One day that we fished inshore, I must have caught close to 100 bass. And there are some BIG spotted bay bass in Gonzaga Bay.

The last day of the trip we fished a different area and I caught 30-40 yellowtail, in ONE DAY!

BOB: I cannot thank you enough for inviting me on this trip. Your wisdom of the sea and knowledge of Baja is like no one else I have ever met. Your generosity is out of this world and I know is extended to anyone in our community.

Sven: You fish harder than anyone I've ever met. I learned tons from watching you on the water, and I REALLY appreciate you helping us with those kayaks. Hope to fish with you in LJ soon, maybe you can teach me how to catch a WSB

Steve: Trying to convince you we need to head in and call it was no easy task. You put some serious hours out on the Sea of Cortez and was much deserved, I'm sure, after driving from IDAHO! Your stories at night while drinking beer were entertaining as hell.

Mike: Little jealous you landed the only DODO but that just means we will have to go back down again. Thanks for putting the bug in my ear about this trip and being one deciding factor on why I went.

If any of you are thinking of going on this trip sometime, stop thinking, and GO! Life isn't going to wait around for you. Everyone reading this has a chance to Gonzaga Bay, or Baja in general with BOB or any of these other guys.

For me, it was the fishing trip of a LIFETIME.

Last edited by YakDout; 10-28-2014 at 02:21 PM.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
walrus

That's fishing! Baja Rules!
Old 10-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
octico

Very nice looks like fun!
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #4
Mike scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Day one

After the unpack, Mike and I decide to try a little surf fishing down the beach. After catching about 10 orange mouth corvina, trigger fish, spotted bay bass, and others, I can't resist going out on the kayak. Catching roosters on the first evening, I knew this trip was going to be one for the books.

Day two-six

The reason I had to lump all these days together is because I was too busy fishing and having way too much fun to remember what happened on which day. One day we saw big schools of dorado swimming through no more than 2 miles off land. There was a giant rooster feeding with them, must have been about 40-50 pounds. I think just about all of us hooked a dorado at some point although Mike was the only one to land one on this trip. Jig selection played a big roll in getting bit by the Pelagics.

We caught tuna, dorado, roosterfish, some giant sierra, yellowtail and this was just offshore. One day that we fished inshore, I must have caught close to 100 bass. And there are some BIG spotted bay bass in Gonzaga Bay.

The last day of the trip we fished a different area and I caught 30-40 yellowtail, in ONE DAY!

BOB: I cannot thank you enough for inviting me on this trip. Your wisdom of the sea and knowledge of Baja is like no one else I have ever met. Your generosity is out of this world and I know is extended to anyone in our community.

Sven: You fish harder than anyone I've ever met. I learned tons from watching you on the water, and I REALLY appreciate you helping us with those kayaks. Hope to fish with you in LJ soon, maybe you can teach me how to catch a WSB

Steve: Trying to convince you we need to head in and call it was no easy task. You put some serious hours out on the Sea of Cortez and was much deserved, I'm sure, after driving from IDAHO! Your stories at night while drinking beer were entertaining as hell.

Mike: Little jealous you landed the only DODO but that just means we will have to go back down again. Thanks for putting the bug in my ear about this trip and being one deciding factor on why I went.

If any of you are thinking of going on this trip sometime, stop thinking, and GO! Life isn't going to wait around for you. Everyone reading this has a chance to Gonzaga Bay, or Baja in general with BOB or any of these other guys.

For me, it was the fishing trip of a LIFETIME.

Couldn't have said it any better! Glad you made this trip, looking forward to the next adventure!
Mike scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Darn, withdrawal hurts. There might be another month of fishing remaining like this this season. Tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:04 AM   #6
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Guys would you believe the winds never blew, do not think it ever got over 7-8 miles an hour, water was like a lake.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

I was expecting it to blow at least 10 or more for one day. Didn't see it once. Definitely picked some good dates.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote