Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-31-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Why Mr. Lobster pot, why?

Woke up and decided that I should try my luck at La Jolla, see a few familiar faces, and try and connect with a few fish. Met with Easyday, Crazywakeboarder, and a few others, and off we were to go make bait.

Bait, for me at least, was hard to come by. Making a long story short, I went on the troll with 2 perfect size greenies and a bunch of Spanish. Get to the trolling grounds, pin a greenie on and off on the troll I go. Was pretty quiet out there for me, and was able to avoid the dogs and lobster traps for the first couple hours. >>
Finally got in on some action, only to find out that it was a Commerant to blame. Unhook him and decide to just head out into open water. Peddle, peddle, and peddling.

I find a fishy spot set my 2nd greenie out. I just start enjoying being out on the water, and playing Solitare on my phone. About 30 minutes goes by and my reel starts screaming. Thought it was a dog for sure. I thumb the spool to pop him off, and I get a rude awaking from braid burn.
Humm, maybe this is a fish. I put the reel in gear and the fight is on. The fish took a long initial run, and went down and away. I gain some line, and it feels as if he’s got me wrapped up in some kelp. Ah, no problem there, been there done that. This kelp felt different after a while though. I couldn’t get it to “pop.” I get him to deep color to see that it isn’t kelp at all, but actually a lobster trap line.

As hard as I try, I couldn’t get him untangled. There we stand at a stalemate. He is exhausted, and so am I. At this time, I am just looking at the large fish (I’m guessing upper 20’s), 25ft below me just lying there on his side. I call for backup, and Easyday arrives. He pulls up, and is shocked to see this yellowtail just chilling under me. We eventually get him 5ft or so under our kayaks, right out of gaff ranges. All of a sudden I see him start thrashing and eventually gains his freedom. Well played Mr. Yellowtail, well played. Total fight time: 20min

Lessons learned:
Always assume you have a fish.
Don't thumb a green fish.

Wondering what others have done in similar situations?
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Dannowar

Dive down and got his ass out. The water is 72!!
Old 10-31-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
Dive down and got his ass out. The water is 72!!

that would have made one hell of a fish report

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Lol, Easyday and I actually did visit that idea, but figured we may be able to get him up. In retrospect, I wish I would of. Hindsight is 50/50.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
GregAndrew

Remember that feeling from the braid rubbing on something harder than kelp. Next tim you feel it, head straight for the likeliest buoy it is attached to. Unless the rope is holding some kelp stringers, you shoud be able to figure out which direction it is wrapped. If you can get to the buoy before your braid cuts into the rope that is. I will loosen my drag as soon as i feel my braid dragging over something hard too. The more sensitive the rod, the more info the braid is able to provide you.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Nice report, sounds like there's additional obstacles. I gotta go down there again soon!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
FISH11

That sound kind of like a heart breaker. As bad as the lobster traps are out there, at least there are like less than 1/3 the number that where there last summer. Like Greg said I have gone up to the buoys when flylinning to untangle my braid because the mac has decided to go around and around and around. If you go to the buoy and look at the rope you can tell the direction and just unwind your braid around the float with your hands before it breaks or get the hook stuck in the rope. La Jolla is full of near catch stories, but eventually it comes. Keep trying and don't give up. Tight Lines
Old 10-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Grab the buoy and paddle it up current. By time you're straight over the trap there might be enough feet of extra rope to grab your stuff.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
easyday

Next time I'm diving in...let me tell you this though pulling the rope on that heavy of a trap from a tarpon 160 is me easy task. We will most certainly get it next time man, and like I said I'm making sure I bring my goggles on all my trips now.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
crazywakeboarder

It was good seeing you out there. I got one last time so it was supposed to be your turn this time. Now you're owed two the next time we go out!
crazywakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
PapaDave

I lost a heavy fish out at Dana last Sunday to a lobster buoy. Got wrapped up on it and every time it made a run it dragged the buoy down with it. Finally popped the line.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #12
ctfphoto

Bummer about the fish.

Did you try pulling the buoy rope as sometimes there is enough slack in it to get to your fish?

See you out there soon.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #13
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Bummer about the fish.

Did you try pulling the buoy rope as sometimes there is enough slack in it to get to your fish?

See you out there soon.
Yea I pulled about 15 feet of it up and couldn't get any more. Almost got the fish within reach and it popped off.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #14
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I thank you again easyday as I know that was no easy task. Next time!!!