Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
gupppy

protecting your yak from damage???

most, if not all have scratches on the hull of your yak.
i just bought a used 09 outback and the scratches hurt me when i'm just looking at them. i have yet to take my yak out on our maiden voyage, but i can just imagine the pain when i'm dragging it in the sand let alone launching/landing on the beach.
i was thinking of applying a "urethane" coating to the hull, and maybe all over the exterior.
i was thinking of using Helmsman Spar Urethane. the guys use it to put a protective coating on the headlight lenses. the only factor that may produce less than ideal results is the fact that the headlight lens is a lot more rigid than our yaks. but who know, it might just work?

they have spray on urethane, oil based, water based, etc...

any thoughts?
gupppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Pocoloco

fill gauges and deep scratches with hot glue.
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

I think the guppy is trying to recondition his new-2-him yak... other than that, I have no idea and might be wondering the same thing in a few months or years..
Old 03-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
J3FFro

Maybe you can spray a layer of coating on just the portion that will make contact with sand/concrete (bottom) and leave the rest of hull (curve portion) un touch.

That way you don't add any unneccessary weight and change the performance of the kayak.

Just my 2cents.
J3FFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
gupppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3FFro View Post
Maybe you can spray a layer of coating on just the portion that will make contact with sand/concrete (bottom) and leave the rest of hull (curve portion) un touch.

That way you don't add any unneccessary weight and change the performance of the kayak.

Just my 2cents.
i understand the weight might be an issue, but it's like a clear coat. very light stuff.

there's scratches all over the bottom so it would be just too cumbersome to get in there with hot glue
gupppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Amish Ed

Sand isn't really going to do that much damage. Rocky areas and boat ramps will. But, no spray is going to protect your yak from those. Just take it easy when launching in those areas and you'll minimize the scratches.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
fishingfiend

I'm also a new outback owner and worried about the same thing. Is there a better way to protect these expensive hulls? I've been pondering 2 options.

1. Clearbra which is commonly used on cars. I'm not sure how it will hold up to seawater over time? This material is very flexible and easy to apply with a heat gun.

2. Keeleazy makes a protective strip similar concept to the above clearbra material but apparently suited to saltwater/submersed conditions.
http://www.keeleazy.com/page1/page1.html

I'm on the fence, but I'm leaning towards trying the keeleazy solution.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
J3FFro

A large enough kayak cart can prevent any launching damages but for loading/unloading portion, you'll need an assistant.
J3FFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfiend View Post
I'm also a new outback owner and worried about the same thing. Is there a better way to protect these expensive hulls? I've been pondering 2 options.

1. Clearbra which is commonly used on cars. I'm not sure how it will hold up to seawater over time? This material is very flexible and easy to apply with a heat gun.

2. Keeleazy makes a protective strip similar concept to the above clearbra material but apparently suited to saltwater/submersed conditions.
http://www.keeleazy.com/page1/page1.html

I'm on the fence, but I'm leaning towards trying the keeleazy solution.
The clearbra will be a bigger area covered i dout the seawater will really damage anything to it besides making it turn a nasty old plastic looking color
Yakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
fishingfiend

I'm also not sure of the effects of the clearbra adhesive on the hull material? I guess only one way to find out, a small test strip and a couple of trips should provide some data.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
salty pirate

I buy my kayaks as working boat's for fishing and scratch the crap out of them, mostly from loading and unloading. To fix you can use a razor to shave the burr's off then hit it with a heat gun to make it look new. deep scratches need to be filled.

Now go fishing and try not to ding your yacht
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #12
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

ask dgax65 about his stealth

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...hlight=stealth

IMGP1844_Medium_.JPG

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #13
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post

That yak is sitting in my friends garage now...and that strip is still in perfect shape. I'd like to replicate it myself one of these days.
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
maui jim

I have had my cobra fro more than 14 years (left the float tube for a drier ride) I have had countless trip in the ocean from San Diego to the central coast, and in many many lakes in nor Cal and the Central coast. And So Cal. The most scratches i get n mine com from the lakes and the rocky/ gravel shorelines, the sand really only seams to scuff and buff the bottom Invest in some good wheels and enjoy it, Though I have worn the keel, but I repaired that with a plastic sheet and welding rod, free from cobra, when I told them my issue. And that was 3 years ago. Pays to know how solder sheetmetal, Plastic is much easier than copper. Bottom line is use it,and enjoy and when you abuse it, fix it.
The way I see guys go thru kayacks her on this site amazes me. Some guys chang yack like socks...LOL..... For you are stll doing the same thing fishing, and enjoying the great outdoors a few nicks in life are not that bad. I store mine in the garage and always rinse the salt away. And when I store outside I cover with a tarp and remove all electronics. So yacks, they can last a long time.
Get out there and get some fish, and dont sweat the small stuff.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
Whizz Bang

You should give Griswold's non-choloric, silicon based kitchen lubricant a shot. I hear it has the added benefit of creating a surface 500 times more slippery than any known cooking oil......It may not be worth a damn for the scratches, but perhaps it will improve your speed when you are chasing after bird piles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=zpCVrzVr97M
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote