Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
GONZAGA GOLD 18-25 October

The Baja Catch used to label good Baja fishing by Bronze, Silver and GOLD being the best. Gonzaga on the fly was GOLDEN.

This is a teaser, there will be pictures to follow and a Go Pro 4 video too. Five of us went on this trip, two caught fish on the fly, the others fished other gear.
Big fish of the trip was a 25.5 pound Cabrilla, smallest? Maybe a 5 INCH Bass or Rooster fish.

As a group of 5 fishermen one day we caught over 600+ bass, triggers and others. One day 2 guys caught over 70 Yellows by themselves, BEFORE they left feeding tails. One day two of us landed between 150 to 200 Bass each, and again walked away from feeding fish to go rest on the beach. TOO many fish, so little time.

This is a rough estimate, I guess we collectively caught and landed upwards of 2000 fish. And could have caught more had we wished.

Some of the fishermen will tell their stories soon. This was an EPIC trip, one I will never forget. SOLID GOLD. Wish you all could have been there.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

My best fish of this trip was a Rooster, he attacked my fork/spoon on a fast retrieve. Not wanting to kill him, I tried to tail him, got him half way out of the water when he exploded, bye, bye beautiful fish. 18-20 lbs. He kept my fork.

Weather was AWESOME, nights were 70-75, days were 90-95, water temps were 82-85. Sunrises, sunsets and fishing was GOLDEN.

Fish caught were, Rose snapper, pig snapper, grunts, orange mouth corvina, leopard grouper, spotties, hog fish, leather jacket, threadfin pompano, rooster fish, skipjack tuna, dorado, needle fish and cabrilla. Might have missed one or two others too. A turtle ate a mega bait and was released to fight another day, also released was a blue footed boobie. Infact I think we only killed 6 or 7 fish this whole trip. Tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Five of us went on this trip, two caught fish on the fly, the others fished other gear.

Jeez I thought it was for fly fishermen only. I would have tagged along. I know how epic fall fishing can be there.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
taggermike

That rocks. Only negative sounds like the fly fishing bite. The huge variety of fish you can catch in Baja is a just amazing. I gotta get back down there. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
Chuck D

Dorado, that's some excellent news! Can't wait for the reports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

I read a report on BD about Dorado in GB last night. I almost packed my bags... Glad you had a great trip Bob!

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
619-SWIM-DOG

Glad you guys had a killer trip. looking forward to hearing your tails of Baja on Nov. 8th.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Hey Bob, you didn't happen to see SitinsideJim down there. Guess he has been at Gonzaga for a week or so and his wife had posted on BD asking for a status on him
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 10-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Sorry Bob, now that I think about it, you may not know him. He was down there last may the week that my son and I were there. Carry on
— Herman Melville

Old 10-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
YakDout
Brandon

Here is a teaser until I make a solid video of the trip

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414378748.009168.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  60.0 KB
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
walrus

Wow! I don't know how you kept that bruiser out of the rocks.

It looks like the fish are eating well this year. Congrats on landing that beast.
Did you catch it on a candy bar (spoon)?
Old 10-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
YakDout
Brandon

Caught it on a knock off mega bait. Brand was P-line I believe. Smaller jigs were working much better because the bait fish were tiny. 1-3 " silver or pink megabaits were killing it down there .
Old 10-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #13
blitzburgh

Good lawd that's a pig!
Old 10-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
walrus

Thanks YakDout, I already have those P-line jigs. Two weeks and I'll be there to pick up where you left off.

I thought September was good down there, but it seems to keep getting better.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #15
tattuna

Any pictures of the pig snapper? I'm not familiar with it but I'd love to see what they look like.

That's a toad pinto bass!!
Old 10-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #16
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattuna View Post
Any pictures of the pig snapper? I'm not familiar with it but I'd love to see what they look like.

I don't think there is a picture of it Charles, but he had a small tube sticking out of what should be nose/nostrils.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #17
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattuna View Post

Yer killin me charles. Someone finally posts a pic of a true [spotted] cabrilla and you pull out pinto bass.

More pictures!
Old 10-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #18
YakDout
Brandon

video in the works. should finish tonight
Old 10-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #19
tattuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Yer killin me charles. Someone finally posts a pic of a true [spotted] cabrilla and you pull out pinto bass.

More pictures!
Same difference
Old 10-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #20
sitinsidejim
sitinsidejim

gonzaga bay

to Rossman. just got back yesterday was there for two weeks. awsome trip. weather was great, fish that reef where I met you and your son last May. got rock several times 40lb. was not strong enough to stop them. fire carker yellowtail boiling all over the place catch all you wanted. biggest one was 8lbs. skipjack to 10lb, boling all over the place too. wish the were yellowfin. fun to catch. serria ate the fastrac the best .got a big one 30 to 36 inches long. caught lots of them. best lure on the boiling fish was lur jenson one and half oz. cripple minnow. the bait they were hitting on was micro bait fish match the hatch. need to up grade the hooks and split rings on the cripple minnow and fastrac then you will not have any problems. caught also big trigger fish. corvina. pompeno. spotted bass, rosterfish. cabrilla. leoperd grouper. was a great trip. fish the first week without seeing another kayaker. more people the second week, met some great people at camp, I keep them well supplyed with fish. going back in may, love that place. good luck sitinsidejim
sitinsidejim is offline   Reply With Quote