Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-27-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
madscientist

LJ 10/26PM & 10/27AM

What's this....

Read on.8)

Got a late start last night after picking up some hoop nets for my first bug run after some fishing. Surf was pumping pretty well and I got drenched getting out. Got out to find bait all over, mix of spanish and greenies. Headed out to a ling spot and passed Ken on his way in for buggin. Told him I'd join up shortly but I wanted to try some bottom action. Couple of drifts for nothing and I figured I better get my hoops ready before I lost all the light. Went over to the area where Ken was working, and together we had a fun evening of bug huntin. Half the pulls came up with something and I had a total of about 10, almost all close to the limit but only 2 were over. Ken did better. They will become bisque tonight. That was a lot more fun than I expected and I'll definitely be out there many more evenings. Thanks again for all the tips, Ken.

10/27
Got up a little later than I wanted and got down tot he shores as Andy paddled out through some ocassionally nasty surf. Timed it better this morning and only took a couple to the chest. A little past the reserve line I made a half dozen small spanish, then no more bait. Andy reminded me it was slack high, and I figured it might end up being a wasted morning. Little baits crackling all over, but nothing that would take the sabiki. Mosied around a little unsure of what to do since it was dead calm. Tried a little power drifting by some buoys but only managed to get snagged on the bottom. Resigned myself to an early end and started trolling for home.

Around 8:30 the sun starts to burn through and it looks kind of fishy. I feel a vibration and look back to see the deep rod take a hard bounce. Bring in a crushed bait, surprising since I even had a trap hook. Still not really sure if I wasn't just delusional, I replace the bait and continue. Then i hear a commotion behind me and turn to see....full out YT blitz! :shock:

Its about 400yds away so I do an about face and take off. As I get to the edge of iron range I figure to gamble and hope they come to me as I prepare to throw. They do the opposite and move off and by the time I get there, it's over except for a big bait slick. Darn. Decide to take a big loop before returning to the homeward course. As I get to the deeper part of it, I see bait bubbling so I throw the iron. Half way through the retrieve the flyline goes off. Throw the iron rod in the holder and grab the singing stick, remembering to let it turn the boat before I start fighting for a change. Fish peels off 100yds of spectra straight at a buoy, but we still have some distance. Gain back 200 ft quickly then it takes off again, this time perpendicular, that run seems to take something out him because now we are into the vertical game, with no pots or kelp. Nice to get these guys out deep. First YT I've had on in a while, and I show it because my first gaff swing misses completely, the second barely sticks, so I reset and finally get a half ass one through the spot between the gills. Fortunately the fish is done and it's bloody deck time (se above)! No photobeyatches around so I do myself.

Tell Andy that I think its over 20 and head in. No more sign of tail on the way in. At the shore the surf had settled a bit . Long chunky fish went 29lb .

Very thick and absolutely stuffed with squid. Maybe one of those Catalina fish.

Better watch your ass Andy. Last two times I've crept up on Arne he's gone on a tear. I predict some more beaver shots shortly. :lol:

Neptune has been very kind of late.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
Dennis

BRAD,
YOU DA MAN!!
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:39 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Brad, I should have zigged when I zagged Thanks for calling me on the bite. I started that way and decided not, as it was around 2 1/2 miles from where I was up norte. Nothing for me, but a grumpy ol shlumpy that ate an 8 inch greenie.

Nice freakin fish!
Old 10-27-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
lamb

very cool.

Bradonski, you're out of control. :lol:
Old 10-27-2005, 03:49 PM   #5
GBF

OK.....................Let's all pitch in and get Brad some golf clubs!!

Very nice fish!!

GBF
Old 10-27-2005, 04:08 PM   #6
ski

Great stuff!
Way to keep the momentum rolling....
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:55 PM   #7
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Brad, WTG!! that's a BIG seriola!

Gives me madera just looking at it.

Looks like the yella bitches wanna play again--------ya baby.

Just don't tell the JIGMASTER....................(Pat) :twisted:

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:04 PM   #8
vellocity

that is a TOAD!!!!!!

i was pretty content just rolling over and letting that fat lady continue singing!!!

damn you Brad!!!
like i said on the other forum, i don't even know if my sabikis still have barbs on them or if they'd rusted off already!
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:36 PM   #9
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchfish
Brad, WTG!! that's a BIG seriola!

Gives me madera just looking at it.

Looks like the yella bitches wanna play again--------ya baby.

Just don't tell the JIGMASTER....................(Pat) :twisted:

Ken
That's funny, I told Andy that as excited as I was about the fish, I was almost more excited just to know that they'll still hit the flyline and we don't have to yoyo yet. Then again, with all the squid that fish was stuffed with, a white iron deadsticked off the bottom might not be stupid either. I just refuse to reel the thing till after Thanksgiving. :twisted:

Nelz, this is SoCal, there is no fat lady. My friend's back east just saw the prime part of the fall striper run and the offshore tuna scene interrupted by a Nor'easter. Almost time for them to pack up the stuff till flounder season (April) when they get to go freeze their gnards off trying to catch 11" flounder in 45 degree water (and often colder air). Quit moaning and get your ass out there :P .
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote