Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #21
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I work San O 10 to 20 times a year and I see a white there on more trips than I don't. While I haven't seen the bigger model as reported here, there is an 8 footer that hangs around there, which I have seen breaching in 12 - 15 feet of water. The local surfers even have a name for it. "Sparky" or something like that. My Son has had it do a complete 360 degree drive by at about 8 feet from his yak. The only concern I have is if I catch a keeper Halibut, I get it on shore as soon as possible. Don't want to be on the end of the chum line.

Go here and check out all of the San O sightings
http://sharkresearchcommittee.com/pa...shark_news.htm
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #22
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Mister bill says you should never play with great white sharks, oh noooooooooooooooooooo!

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
amsurferoceanbeach

saw a sea lion yesterday

I was at La Jolla cove yesterday and saw this sea lion high & dry.
The diamond shaped punctures wounds where about an inch wide.
My guess is, don't look like him while your in the ocean.

amsurferoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #24
FISHIONADO

I always check the surf when I drive I-5 near San Onofre, hard to imagine how you could identify a shark or anything else from that distance. Not saying there are not sharks in the ocean, maybe you had binoculars.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #25
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

So I shouldn't paint my yak black... and I shouldn't use the custom seal hide cover I made to protect the bottom from rough launches/landings?
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #26
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
And there are more thinks on land to be scared if them getting eaten by a shark. I only wish I could be honored with such a cool way to go. Think if the obit page: eaten by a great white while doing what he loved. A glorious death
Me thinks you might jump the gun once in a while.
Another responder already pointed out, it is off of South Africa, not South America, which is the most famous place that breaching occurs with Great Whites. And having watched many nature shows, I've seen that it is also occurring off of Australia, with it being noted that it's likely to occur just about anywhere Great Whites occur.
That said, I'd still question a Great White siting from the freeway. An actual viewing of a 100 yards away or less and I'll take anyone's word on it. Afterall, there are plenty of them out there.
I'll pass on being devoured by a Great White. I don't think the survivors of Great White attacks, say, "It was a noble feeling, that shark eating my arm, I just wish he'd finish the job".
I'll take drifting off to death in old age, asleep, with a dream of fishing running through my head.
Aaron
Old 02-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #27
Kahouna

Observations a mile north of sighting: I've seen dolphin blow up a bait ball with birds diving all around from one of my work vantage points about a hundred yards east of the 5. I can tell how many people are fishing on boats. I can't tell how many surfers are on the water unless it's a calm day. IF you were looking at the right place at the right time, I would say it's possible.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #28
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
I always check the surf when I drive I-5 near San Onofre, hard to imagine how you could identify a shark or anything else from that distance. Not saying there are not sharks in the ocean, maybe you had binoculars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahouna View Post
Observations a mile north of sighting: I've seen dolphin blow up a bait ball with birds diving all around from one of my work vantage points about a hundred yards east of the 5. I can tell how many people are fishing on boats. I can't tell how many surfers are on the water unless it's a calm day. IF you were looking at the right place at the right time, I would say it's possible.
i can see the surfers and spot kayaks out beyond the discharge while driving. and from the firestone on Basilone i can see the people walking the beach.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #29
Enceladus

This will feed the flame a little bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpbNM...eature=related
Enceladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #30
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Me thinks you might jump the gun once in a while.
Another responder already pointed out, it is off of South Africa, not South America, which is the most famous place that breaching occurs with Great Whites. And having watched many nature shows, I've seen that it is also occurring off of Australia, with it being noted that it's likely to occur just about anywhere Great Whites occur.
That said, I'd still question a Great White siting from the freeway. An actual viewing of a 100 yards away or less and I'll take anyone's word on it. Afterall, there are plenty of them out there.
I'll pass on being devoured by a Great White. I don't think the survivors of Great White attacks, say, "It was a noble feeling, that shark eating my arm, I just wish he'd finish the job".
I'll take drifting off to death in old age, asleep, with a dream of fishing running through my head.
Aaron
1: totally aware that it's africa, just a typo on my part. The bad grammar is due to a non cooperating smart phone that feels it needs to correct my every word.
2: my point was NOT that whites dont breach in other parts of the world. I said in my first post that IF it was a white, then you witnessed a rare behavior. And it is. They are NOT just as likely to breach here our we would be witnessing it more often.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #31
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

And 3: as far as the glorious death shpeal. Obviously my sense of humor goes over some peoples heads. I'm not scared to be in the ocean with sharks nor do I intend to purposely put myself in harms way.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #32
T-Rex

GWs don't need deep water to breach. Randy Wright's photos of a GW breaching at Will Rogers Beach near PCH & Sunset. I'm guessing maybe ten to fifteen feet deep.

This guy would have been inside the lineup on a decent swell.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #33
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
i can see the surfers and spot kayaks out beyond the discharge while driving. and from the firestone on Basilone i can see the people walking the beach.

Oh Yeah....Tell me your last 3 scores' on the range, then I'll believe you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enceladus View Post
This will feed the flame a little bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpbNM...eature=related
That's one of the reasons why I don't like to dangle my feet overboard.
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #34
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
1: totally aware that it's africa, just a typo on my part. The bad grammar is due to a non cooperating smart phone that feels it needs to correct my every word.
2: my point was NOT that whites dont breach in other parts of the world. I said in my first post that IF it was a white, then you witnessed a rare behavior. And it is. They are NOT just as likely to breach here our we would be witnessing it more often.
I wasn't trying to attack you, but if you feel you must defend yourself, well...
1) A typo is usually a mistake in punching out words via a keypad, and usually involve a mis-stroke of one or two characters. A brain fart is...
I understand about auto-correct features, ship happens.
2) I never said it was just as likely to happen here, I said the nature shows I've watched mentioned it is likely to occur just about anywhere Great Whites occur besides South Africa and Australia. Judging by posts on this thread, it happens along our coast much more than I thought.
3) Many of us have unique sense of humors, I didn't get yours this time. As much as many of us like the noble idea of being engaged in our favorite activity at the time of our death, being eaten by a shark, or even drowning, does not sound like a good way to go, IMHO. I'd prefer an Edward G. Robinson, a la Soylent Green, way to go, with a good soundtrack and videos of my finest fishing days flashing before my eyes.
Peace, out.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #35
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I did not type out south america. My phone has swype. It's a self typing app that predicts what you are typing when you swipe across the keyboard. It predicted south america when I was typing south africa................typo, not in the traditional sense of the word but I guess if we are playing semantics then ill call it a brain fart....for the sake of argument

Old 02-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #36
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

oh boy....

chill out guys. it was just a cool sighting. if ya dont believe it, then dont, if ya do, then great.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #37
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
oh boy....

chill out guys. it was just a cool sighting. if ya dont believe it, then dont, if ya do, then great.

Bro, after this long debate I believe that the chances of your sighting being a breaching white are more and more likely.......with that said, no photo, didnt happen