Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-25-2015, 11:14 PM   #1
pbb

La Bufadora 8/24

I headed down to Rosarito for a week with my family, and made it down south of Ensenada to La Bufadora on Monday to fish with Tony (who I believe is known here as LingLifter).

Crossing the border with one of my daughters in the car and two yaks on the rack, we got sent to "high-tech scanning" so they could x-ray my yaks and make sure I wasn't smuggling anything nasty into Mexico. They also wanted me to open the trunk and I had to explain what my bait tank was. But after a less than 15 minutes delay, we were on our way south.

On Monday, I drove down and met Tony at his place in Punta Banda, put his Outback on my rack, and we drove down the road to La Bufadora. We paid $10 (total for the car, not each) to launch there, which was a safer call than trying to drive my corolla offroad to Arbolitos.

My bait tank's wiring/switch/pump was acting up, but Tony had a fully functional tank. We made a bunch of green macs on the outside edge of the kelp as we headed out from the ramp. (I should say Tony made macs, as it soon proved silly for me to try to fish the sabiki close enough to hand off my fish while he was also pulling them in easily. I would have just gotten in his way).

Tony got the first big hit of the day right near where we were making bait, but it came unpinned. We trolled north, but we didn't end up going far. As I dragged my mac right next to a big rock, my clicker started to sing. I pulled the rod out of the holder, stuck the butt in my waist, and was kind of shocked by how much weight pounded into my gut when I put it into gear. There was a big fish on there.

I was trying to keep from moving too close to the rock, and I am pretty sure the fish got into some kelp, but with the braid I was able to bring it up and then to get a good gaff shot near the collar.

It was my first yellowtail, measuring 36" fork length, and pretty wide, too. Tony proceeded to put one on his yak that measured 35" fork length (but wasn't quite as fat).

I proceeded to hook up with at least four Bonito in the 24" range which also put up great fights. I kept the first one and shook the others.

We were back at Tony's house by 4pm, where I had to fillet my fish to fit it into the cooler I had brought.

It's some mighty tasty fish.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:23 AM   #2
Zed
BANNED

Nice hit and real close.
You scored.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:04 AM   #3
Deamon

I see space for a cot and sleeping bag ...I see a beer bottle (the dog's bonus points!)...okay, it's met the minimum standards to qualify for a Baja or Bust road trip .

Mako-Roberto...barge in on, errr, introduce yourself to Linglifter and set up a shortie road trip. Punta Banda should be on our list. Monsta WSB down that way...! Jim
Attached Images

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:29 AM   #4
Zed
BANNED

Theres even a ramp for you Hobie tugs.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:39 AM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
I see space for a cot and sleeping bag ...I see a beer bottle (the dog's bonus points!)...okay, it's met the minimum standards to qualify for a Baja or Bust road trip .

Mako-Roberto...barge in on, errr, introduce yourself to Linglifter and set up a shortie road trip. Punta Banda should be on our list. Monsta WSB down that way...! Jim
I could do that, Jim. Quick and easy trip.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:50 AM   #6
Dannowar

I've seen yellowtail do everything but fly on the boat between punta Banda and todos santos island.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:59 PM   #7
Lbcmxg

Hey I'm going down to ensenada next weekend. I will be staying on that stretch of beach punta banda. Won't be taking my kayak. But any one have any tips for fishing the surf??
Lbcmxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:44 AM   #8
Deamon

I have fished that area in the past but only from shore...

Surf with sand? Power worms for big beautiful Surf perch (great fish tacos), small kastmaster, etc...works too. Just south of Punta Banda (4wd only), is a black sand beach and bay that holds tuna pens. The road in from above can be treacherous. Motorcycle, bike or walk-in would be best. Google earth shows this bay and the road from the on-going development up above Punta Banda/La B.

If you can fling an iron with distance, Tady 45 around all structure, rocks kelp edges. Nothing better than hooking Calico Bass from shore on the iron (Krocs too). Between L.B and the campgrounds are three tall rock outcroppings...Tres Hermanas. We've speared small yellows right there so I'm assuming you could catch one from shore if conditions are right

There are also a lot of lobster here but we were only "observing" them...

The rocky areas off Punta Banda/L.B. are sinker/weight eaters. Tough to throw squid and fish on the bottom unless you're okay with losing weights. Mostly smaller cabezon, sheephead and a bunch of rock/reef perch types of fish.

Hope this helps!

Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:02 AM   #9
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Requirements

Do you need any mex. fishing lic. or boat permits to fish there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbb View Post
I headed down to Rosarito for a week with my family, and made it down south of Ensenada to La Bufadora on Monday to fish with Tony (who I believe is known here as LingLifter).

Crossing the border with one of my daughters in the car and two yaks on the rack, we got sent to "high-tech scanning" so they could x-ray my yaks and make sure I wasn't smuggling anything nasty into Mexico. They also wanted me to open the trunk and I had to explain what my bait tank was. But after a less than 15 minutes delay, we were on our way south.

On Monday, I drove down and met Tony at his place in Punta Banda, put his Outback on my rack, and we drove down the road to La Bufadora. We paid $10 (total for the car, not each) to launch there, which was a safer call than trying to drive my corolla offroad to Arbolitos.

My bait tank's wiring/switch/pump was acting up, but Tony had a fully functional tank. We made a bunch of green macs on the outside edge of the kelp as we headed out from the ramp. (I should say Tony made macs, as it soon proved silly for me to try to fish the sabiki close enough to hand off my fish while he was also pulling them in easily. I would have just gotten in his way).

Tony got the first big hit of the day right near where we were making bait, but it came unpinned. We trolled north, but we didn't end up going far. As I dragged my mac right next to a big rock, my clicker started to sing. I pulled the rod out of the holder, stuck the butt in my waist, and was kind of shocked by how much weight pounded into my gut when I put it into gear. There was a big fish on there.

I was trying to keep from moving too close to the rock, and I am pretty sure the fish got into some kelp, but with the braid I was able to bring it up and then to get a good gaff shot near the collar.

It was my first yellowtail, measuring 36" fork length, and pretty wide, too. Tony proceeded to put one on his yak that measured 35" fork length (but wasn't quite as fat).

I proceeded to hook up with at least four Bonito in the 24" range which also put up great fights. I kept the first one and shook the others.

We were back at Tony's house by 4pm, where I had to fillet my fish to fit it into the cooler I had brought.

It's some mighty tasty fish.

tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:05 AM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

Pulling yellowtail along that stretch super scenic. Cool!
Old 08-29-2015, 07:29 AM   #11
Linglifter

yeah come on down fishing is hot. catch a yellow tail from the bank of p banda if u desire...let me know. +52 6462387509 lets go. i would be down to meet up with anyone who wants to roll down and fish anywhere.gonna be down here for a few more weeks.yes u need a license if u want to fish here.
Linglifter is offline   Reply With Quote