Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

First La Jolla trip

9/6/2018

It's been mostly bottom fishing up in Malibu, so I had been meaning to plan a Summer trip to LJ for a while. Launched shortly after first light. I can see why this is such a popular spot.

First of all, I love your shore break. Nice, long and low. I was able to wade out about waist deep with my hand on the bowline, jump in, and power through one small breaker.

Big up to Mr Nice Guy for some solid advice.

My standard sabiki rig wasn't really cutting it in the kelp,(though I pulled in maybe 4-5 tiny 3-4" spanish doing random drops) Having seen Nice guy's post a few times I dragged a larger setup on a 30# main and a 6x junior for a weight headed out to the bump. Loaded the whole thing with 8" greenbacks about 3 times. Highly recommended technique.

Nice overcast day on the water. Wind was ripping. Pushed down to the one and a quarter spot within an hour, and felt like slow motion getting back. Spent most of the day just working back up against the swell.

Caught one really nice Calico on the flat fall around the 3/4 spot.

Had and missed a couple of shots at what felt like YT. I'm still getting through the learning curve of "letting them eat".

Out on San Clemente this year, I kept tightening my drag too quickly. This time on both hits I deliberately gave a good bit of line before engaging, but popped loose after about a minute of fighting. Using ringed Gorilla hooks. Starting to question some early advice I got from a PB captain about not setting the hook like a bass fisherman but just cranking steady.

The majority of my bait was robbed by dogs. I can see why you folks complain about them so much. I had one follow my stern for a good half hour waiting for me to drop another bait at one point.

A+ on scenery.
Those hills are just gorgeous and I can see why they call it the jewel.

Assuming the ocean hasn't caught fire by then, I could see myself retiring down near there.

Totally worth the drive, and will definitely be back.

Also huge thanks to Levi for being such a nice guy.

Cheers,
Spencer

Last edited by ProfessorLongArms; 09-07-2018 at 09:36 PM.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
blitzburgh

Nice report! Glad you got your first trip in. Here's to you popping one of those home-guards soon
Old 09-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Sounds like a worthwhile trip into new territory. You obviously did some research and laid out a worthy plan.

What do you think about trying circle hooks? Maybe your two possible YT hookups might have stuck on better? (unless it was sea lions chomping them off)

BTW, I've never had problems with sea lions around the entrance to SD Bay or around the bait barge. I see them laying around, but they have never bothered me. Sea lions in LJ are aggressive and annoying.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 09-07-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
jlabs63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
9/6/2018

Having seen Nice guy's post a few times I dragged a larger setup on a 30# main and a 6x junior for a weight headed out to the bump. Loaded the whole thing with 8" greenbacks about 3 times. Highly recommended technique.
Thanks for the post. Hope you make it down again soon! Can you elaborate on the above referenced setup? Are you using a Sabiki with a 6X as the weight, or is there something else to it?
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
hiramehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabs63 View Post
Can you elaborate on the above referenced setup? Are you using a Sabiki with a 6X as the weight, or is there something else to it?
X2
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #6
FISH11

Congrats, on making good bait. For some time, that alone has been one of the biggest problems. Since about this time last year things at LJ have not been what I experienced the previous 4 years. Very few yellows, not much kelp and lack of bait fish in the area. I believe that all of those are related. The higher the water temp, the less large fish. That is not what most of us would expect. Some yellows are caught but I think this last year has been more about being at the right place at the right time and day. I'm looking forward because in the last 5 years, I have caught most of my yellows between Oct. and May. Try using circle hooks 2/0 or 3/0 with the clicker and only as much drag as it takes to keep the bait from constantly making the clicker go off. Once a yellow takes it grab the rod count 4 to 5 second and just tighten the drag to strike with the rod pointing in the direction of the fish. The yellow will hook itself and now the fun begins. Thanks for sharing and better luck on your next trip to LJ.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #7
ProfessorLongArms

Thanks for the kind words of welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Sounds like a worthwhile trip into new territory. You obviously did some research and laid out a worthy plan.

What do you think about trying circle hooks? Maybe your two possible YT hookups might have stuck on better? (unless it was sea lions chomping them off)

BTW, I've never had problems with sea lions around the entrance to SD Bay or around the bait barge. I see them laying around, but they have never bothered me. Sea lions in LJ are aggressive and annoying.
Thanks!! Between here and BD, there’s a veritable trove of info that’s highly searchable. Really great resources.

I actually started out using circle hooks and caught the halibut in my profile pic on one... I noticed *every* person I fished with using J hooks and switched over.

I bought a huge bag of ringed 1/0 owners at Fred hall on sale, and expect I’ll be trying them again soon.

Good to know about sd bay.

As for the sabiki rig, jlabs- exactly... I take my live bait rod, before I have bait, and tie on a sabiki with a salas 6x (or whatever iron you like) as the weight, let it out a bit, and troll it in freespool in my hand. When it loaded up with macs, I was half convinced I had a small yellow on the iron.

In case it helps I’m a huge fan of the hayabusa mix yarn. They’re super flashy and never fail to produce for me
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:25 AM   #8
Amish Ed

Great report Spencer. Set the hook with the J hooks. Don't set the hook with circle hooks.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #9
yakety-yak
D-T-B

A yellow'll carry a bait by the tail aways to tire it out, then double-back and swallow it head-first. Try letting it run with the clicker on until it stops. When it takes-off again, thennn you may set the hook.
yakety-yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:51 AM   #10
dpricenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabs63 View Post
Thanks for the post. Hope you make it down again soon! Can you elaborate on the above referenced setup? Are you using a Sabiki with a 6X as the weight, or is there something else to it?

After reading this advice the same place the OP did I tested the method as well. I put a 4oz KandyBar Spoon on the bottom of my Sabiki, and trolled it for a full tank of bait in 10 minutes. Asside from the possibility of catching something bigger on the Spoon, I think it looks like a fish chasing food. So it's more attractive than just a sabiki and a hunk of lead chasing it. I'll never fish a sabiki other than with this method. Be sure to buy a sabiki with a heavy main line. Just in case something big take a bite.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote