Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
EastLosYaker

Colorodo River

Does anyone have experience fishing the Colorado River? I will be heading out there the week of Thanksgiving. Thinking of fishing Willow Beach or Havasu. Any suggestions on places to camp and/or launch? Any other advice or tips would also be appreciated.
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
fishnfoool

willow beach

Great area for big stripers. Troll and trout imitation at night on your kayak. You are allowed to fish all night there. Cast towards the banks with same trout imitation during the day.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #3
Siebler

I usually fish down around Picacho, Ferguson Lake, and the surrounding areas. Good camping and not much of the Party crew around these parts. Tons of hidden areas that are perfect for kayaks. Good bass fishing and smaller stripers plus cats. Also HUGE populations of Bullfrogs and Crawfish so bring your pots and you gigs!

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
I usually fish down around Picacho, Ferguson Lake, and the surrounding areas. Good camping and not much of the Party crew around these parts. Tons of hidden areas that are perfect for kayaks. Good bass fishing and smaller stripers plus cats. Also HUGE populations of Bullfrogs and Crawfish so bring your pots and you gigs!
What a feast, Crawfish and frog legs, YUM!!!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
Amish Ed

I fished Ferguson based on CJ's suggestion a few years ago. The road is a bit rough, but so worth it. Camped right on the water and I only saw 2 boats the 2 days I was there. Fishing was fantastic for LMB. I found all kinds of areas that a boat would never be able to get into. The only problem I had was the heat. It was 106º and was supposed to be 90º. I'd love to go back in the spring or late fall.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
Siebler

The road is certainly hit or miss. When we went back in May a Smart Car could have been comfortable. Other times it reminds me why my truck is built the way it is.

Heat is the other issue but that is just part of fishing the river. When we went in may it was 112. Hottest ive had out there is 121 on a trip in September.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

I was just thinking about November and the Colorado River, thinking of a weekend at Moabi State Rec, want to fish those lakes on the AZ side
Old 10-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
MissileTM

Just to let you know, you no longer have to have a Colorado River enhancement for your California license to fish the river. The state finally came to their senses and did away with it.

One thing you may need though if you are fishing from shore on tribal land is a permit, but only if fishing from shore on the Rez. Those can be obtained from AZ Game and Fish and some markets.
MissileTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
IntrntFshrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissileTM View Post
Just to let you know, you no longer have to have a Colorado River enhancement for your California license to fish the river. The state finally came to their senses and did away with it.

One thing you may need though if you are fishing from shore on tribal land is a permit, but only if fishing from shore on the Rez. Those can be obtained from AZ Game and Fish and some markets.
You still have to have out of state for Willow Beach, though don't you? That's in Arizona/Nevada, no?
IntrntFshrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
EastLosYaker

Thanks for all the information. Sounds like I'm going to Ferguson then. Launch from your campsite? A kayak fisherman's dream. I will begin my research immediately. Any more specifics or tips will again be appreciated. Names of campground, fishing techniques, etc.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #11
EastLosYaker

Oh, and if anyone has any cooking tips for crawfish and frog legs, please pass them along too.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #12
monstahfish

willow beach

I've been to willow beach a few times and caught nothing. I have seen 2 stripers, tons of carp and nothing else. Last time I went I got all the way up to the hoover dam and threw the trout swimbait all the way down river with no bites. I also found out they have stopped stocking trout as well. Has anyone had success on stripers there the last few years?
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #13
Deamon

I just did my first boil last month in Mammoth. Googled best crawfish boil. None of us had ever eaten crawfish so we were sissies about it. The other stuff was YUMMY...hard to go wrong on this type of food.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dads.jpg (49.0 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg Fixins.jpg (63.6 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg The Boil.jpg (89.7 KB, 184 views)
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:37 PM   #14
Ggiannig89

I realize I'm posting in an old thread here
But me and a buddy are planning to do a weekend trip to the river and Ferguson lake sounds super appealing. The only thing I'm having trouble with is figuring out how to get there. If I had more time if love to explore around for a few days, but being a Saturday Sunday thing I just want to find a spot on ferguson and be done. Any help would be great. Thanks fellas. I'll be sure to post back with a report when all said n done.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:55 AM   #15
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 View Post
I realize I'm posting in an old thread here
But me and a buddy are planning to do a weekend trip to the river and Ferguson lake sounds super appealing. The only thing I'm having trouble with is figuring out how to get there. If I had more time if love to explore around for a few days, but being a Saturday Sunday thing I just want to find a spot on ferguson and be done. Any help would be great. Thanks fellas. I'll be sure to post back with a report when all said n done.
This may help...

http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/rec.../fergusen.html
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #16
EastLosYaker

Was not easy to find, especially since we arrived at night. Totally worth it though! Fishing was ridiculous in terms of both size and quantity. Looking forward to your report!
Old 05-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #17
Ggiannig89

Thanks for the help fellas
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #18
Iceman
Administrator

Really been trying to sneak over to Havasu for a couple days camping and fishing, before it gets too hot out there.