Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
momo fish

New Hobie Outback and big thanks!

Wasn't going to post but I have been grinning since yesterday and as excited as I was ( having waited a year ) I really wanted to publicly thank Andy from OEX Sunset Beach!!

Had to unload a bunch of garage items to make this happen and although I'm not working I figured might as well be happy and not working with a new toy to keep my mind from drifting.

Always learn something new from Andy and among any places I have purchased anything my experiences are always great with him and always leave completely confident. Thanks for the tips as always and pure honesty!!! You are a legend in my mind [sorry Greg ]. And I forget the fella who works with you but he had great tips on lake fishing which I will be using this fella.

Last edited by momo fish; 10-14-2014 at 01:51 PM.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Cngratulations on your NEW toy.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
FISH11

Congratulations on the new outback, now go get it bloodied up! Then post those pictures.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
octico

I love mine. I need to get one of those square hatches!
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
JDW

That's a beautiful kayak!
JDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Wasn't going to post but I have been grinning since yesterday and as excited as I was ( having waited a year ) I really wanted to publicly thank Andy from OEX Sunset Beach!!

Had to unload a bunch of garage items to make this happen and although I'm not working I figured might as well be happy and not working with a new toy to keep my mind from drifting.

Always learn something new from Andy and among any places I have purchased anything my experiences are always great with him and always leave completely confident. Thanks for the tips as always and pure honesty!!! You are a legend in my mind [sorry Greg ]. And I forget the fella who works with you but he had great tips on lake fishing which I will be using this fella.

Compared to Andy, I am just a period at the end of a footnote in a long book. But even a footnote gets read some days.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
TJones

Congrats

. When we going paddling ?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
momo fish

Get it! Way better investment than most other things you can add to the kayak. It opens and closes a lot easier than the round hatch. Plus being able to slide more gear/junk was my main issue with old outback as I didn't like having to crawl to front hatch everytime.

With the bucket and some bags I will have everything within arms reach and hopefully just use front hatch as a fish hold for the giant 2 pound reds I seem to land while fishing WSB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
I love mine. I need to get one of those square hatches!
Old 10-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
momo fish

Let's try for Saturday if your not working at LJ. My hood got cold today and didn't hear much today from guys coming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
. When we going paddling ?
Old 10-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Congrats on the "New Toy" .
Andy does GREAT work doesn't he!?! (Rhetorical)
I hoped it brings you many hours/days of comfortable time.
I was looking forward to buying one, however since the rectangular hatch doesn't work with the bucket on the new one I have to find an alternative for my Fly cases and a new mounting place for my HDS-8 (which weights much more than my old Elite-5 DSI)
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
momo fish

That's the only downside but I'm playing around with mine to cut part of sides off and then will hot glue a mesh or waterproof liner on the sides. It's doable just need the right tools.

I added some caribou hooks as well to hold other waterproof containers and food. Once done I can throw the fishfinder, gaff, and pump inside as I like everything stowed away for my always fun and epic landings at county

Btw anyone try adding a rod poach to the front ? Seen them on a Jackson kayak and look functional as I always stow my rods on the side and this would keep the tips down during a flip.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Compared to Andy, I am just a period at the end of a footnote in a long book. But even a footnote gets read some days.
Greg...........wipe your nose

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #13
TJones

I wonder if Andy could fix me up?

Old 10-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #14
MissileTM

Great looking boat!

Quote:
That's the only downside but I'm playing around with mine to cut part of sides off and then will hot glue a mesh or waterproof liner on the sides. It's doable just need the right tools?
Keep us posted on what you come up with. I really want that square hatch on my new Outback too because I love that rectangle bucket in my PA. The round one pretty much sucks.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much was it to have the hatch installed?
MissileTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #15
momo fish

Will do, although with my Mr. Bean like sewing skills it may look silly. The hatch is around 100 plus installation. I believe around 150 but I'm sure if you buy the kayak from the dealer you can work out something better

So far so good, just looking for material to use and wife has a hot glue gun ready to go.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:59 AM   #16
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:

Purdy craft! Do you ever get out to Casitas? Especially in the spring.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #17
TJones

Ohhhhh noooo

They added sibiki catchers on each side of the drive well.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #18
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
They added sibiki catchers on each side of the drive well.
I totally agree, I hated them on the Revo. I was surprised when I saw them on the new Outback ... I was like WHY ..
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #19
Iceman
Administrator

I just got in the new map pockets that come on the 2015 Pro Anglers only, they are rubber, no sabiki madness. $9.95 each
Old 10-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #20
momo fish

Finally made the cuts to make the bucket work. Wasn't perfect as I used a hand saw and not easy to use.

Now just need to find material to line the corners with. I'm thinking of using the mesh side holders on the kayak and replace those with rubber ones.

For now I cut a reusable bag and used it as a liner. Everything fits perfectly but I'm sure with better tools it could fit more snug.