Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

Skunked in Redondo

Surf was looking a bit rough up north, so I tried Redondo with a friend on Sunday 3/3.

I'm kind of in love with the spot. Shortest drive of any launch I can find, and nice and sheltered.

Loaded up a bunch of stuff from Google earth and worked about a mile out from the breakwall mouth looking for Rockfish.

I was hoping the start of the canyon around 170-250 would bear results, but nada. Worked a little bit north all morning. Bottom seemed really sandy and barren to have such crazy dramatic drop offs. That canyon is something else.

Nothing but sand dabs all day, and one decent sand bass in the 120 range on the way back in. Macs were plentiful though. Filled my bait tank on the way out.

Trolled a breakaway rig in the 50s/60s for Hali for a few passes, but nothing doing

Beautiful day though. Started out rainy. The forecasted wind never really showed up. Excited to explore this fishery more. With complimentary swell and wind, I realized bluff cove or even Lunada shouldn't be too hard of pedal for the distance I covered over 5 hours.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
Surf was looking a bit rough up north, so I tried Redondo with a friend on Sunday 3/3.

I'm kind of in love with the spot. Shortest drive of any launch I can find, and nice and sheltered.

Loaded up a bunch of stuff from Google earth and worked about a mile out from the breakwall mouth looking for Rockfish.

I was hoping the start of the canyon around 170-250 would bear results, but nada. Worked a little bit north all morning. Bottom seemed really sandy and barren to have such crazy dramatic drop offs. That canyon is something else.

Nothing but sand dabs all day, and one decent sand bass in the 120 range on the way back in. Macs were plentiful though. Filled my bait tank on the way out.

Trolled a breakaway rig in the 50s/60s for Hali for a few passes, but nothing doing

Beautiful day though. Started out rainy. The forecasted wind never really showed up. Excited to explore this fishery more. With complimentary swell and wind, I realized bluff cove or even Lunada shouldn't be too hard of pedal for the distance I covered over 5 hours.

Right on, way to get out for the opener! I was out at Redondo Saturday having breakfast. Really cool area to fish, that beach always has bird tornados and dolphins.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote