Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
nabeeko

Kayak Missing, please help.

Friday, headed down to La Jolla for some white meat and came back home, with a little less than I started off with.

Now... here's what really sucked.

The night prior, I set up all the gear and tightened up the yakima rack. Everything was tight and stable, all fishing gear ready to go. Left home a little after 4:30am(in San Fernando Valley), traffic light, my heart/mind set on some good fishing. Around 6:30am, near Oceanside (1/2 mile from Cassidy St.) I hear my Yakima Rack coming unbuckled(?) and in my rearview mirror, my X-Factor (with my yakima rack, Q-Towers, 58" bars, Mako Saddle and Hully Rollers) FLY off behind me. FORTUNATELY, no one was right behind me and when the yak hit the road, it bounced and landed on the left shoulder. I was in the inner most lane. First thing that came to my mind was.... "WHEW, no biggie, at least no one else was involved int he mishap.

At that time, I stopped my car in the left shoulder and the kayak was about 200-300 yards behind me. Not wanting to reversed the car on the freeway, I got off the next exit and returned back to the spot where the kayak landed. THE KAYAK WAS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND. The whole setup was gone, noone to ask for help, I just sitting on the freeway, just... zoned out. I did see a car (I don't know what type of car it was) stopped on the left shouder (when I first got on the freeway) but it was so distant...I didn't know if it was for my kayak.

Went back and forth for the next 45 minutes, but the kayak was not going to be returned. I exited and re-entered the previous and following exits to see if a good samaritan was behind this...

Had I not promised to meet Josh at the shores, I would have went home right away.

While on the water(with a borrowed yak) I called CHP and Caltrans and they said they were "Sorry for your loss"... and that when some calls in about the yak, they'll contact me. I'm going into Craigslist to see if anyone has posted anything, with no luck.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of mishap?
Yakima racks come off that easily? I've never had such problem before.
If you have any ideas, please help.

Description

The kayak is a Malibu Kayaks Grey X-Factor with Gator Hatch. It has all three hatches and four rod holders, and has bungie paddle keepers on both sides of the handles.

Andy(OEX Sunset) recently fixed it(last month), removing a rudder system that was on there. The rear end of the yak has a good marking where the rudder used to be installed as the plastic was "melted" on. The deck connector was installed at that time as well. The fish finder base (installed on deck)and Transducer is installed(gooped) inside the kayak.
Overall a very clean looking yak. A fish net and scotty bilge pump was inside the hull.

A memorial day weekend indeed!
nabeeko is offline   Reply With Quote