Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
Fishin' Magician

Looking for a Lamiglas IC 70 MH Rod

I broke my favorite rod the other day battling a yellowfin tuna and am looking to replace it. It's a Lamiglas 7'0" Inshore Classic Medium Heavy with Fast Action. Anyone have one or know of someone who has one who would be interested in selling it?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
Hunters Pa

Did you check to see if it is covered under warranty? If not, depending on where the break is, it may be salvagable as a shorter stick.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:40 AM   #3
Fishin' Magician

It broke in the middle of the rod, so it's probably not going to be repaiirable, but thanks for the suggestion. I've got it hanging on the wall and have renamed it 'Ol' Stumpy'.

I bought it several years ago at a fishing swap meet and it served me well. I caught many a bass on it and even a few yellowtail and dorado. That yellowfin was just too much for it I guess. But I were to break my favorite rod, the best way to do it would be fighting a big fish. It went out with honor, doing it's job to the end. I'd have felt differently had I broken it by slamming it in a car door, running over it with a car, aaccidently dropping it over the side of my kayak, etc... But it died a hero's death, and will adorn my office as a reminder of all of the fish that we fought together.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin' Magician View Post
It broke in the middle of the rod, so it's probably not going to be repaiirable, but thanks for the suggestion. I've got it hanging on the wall and have renamed it 'Ol' Stumpy'.

I bought it several years ago at a fishing swap meet and it served me well. I caught many a bass on it and even a few yellowtail and dorado. That yellowfin was just too much for it I guess. But I were to break my favorite rod, the best way to do it would be fighting a big fish. It went out with honor, doing it's job to the end. I'd have felt differently had I broken it by slamming it in a car door, running over it with a car, aaccidently dropping it over the side of my kayak, etc... But it died a hero's death, and will adorn my office as a reminder of all of the fish that we fought together.
If the break is fairly clean you may be able to get a ferrule installed, like a regular two-piece rod, but the action and capability will be compromised. It may be too much of a bummer to continue using it in diminished capacity.

Good luck on your search.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Make it a gaff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

Or strip the parts and make your own. Nice little project that will make you feel rewarded with the end product.

YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Or strip the parts and make your own. Nice little project that will make you feel rewarded with the end product.

I was thinking that too. Could add a new matching tip top and just move one guide, if needed, and use it as a shorty for bounce-balling. I wrapped a panga stick that I use for that purpose, makes it nice to be dragging that heavy weight closer to the yak and cutting down on the need to take 3 strokes on one side, then one on the other.

But I also see the value in the conversation piece hanging on the wall
Old 08-28-2014, 05:31 AM   #8
Fishin' Magician

It's already a good conversation starter. "So, how did you break your rod?' When I get on a roll, I can make that one story go on for about 15 minutes, the epic struggle of man against fish, man vs. Mother Nature.... Hemingway has nothing on me when i get going!

I do like the idea of making it into a gaff and also about making it a two piece rod. I'll look into both of those ideas. But for now...., there it hangs on the office wall, a reminder of that epic struggle.