Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
f'nsabiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by daperrin View Post
I saw a video where a guy would return to shore by facing the oncoming waves. After a wave would pass he would back paddle untill the next wave. He would paddle through each on coming wave then continue to back paddle until he reached shore. Is that a technique that others are doing or just this one guy?
I've landed that way for years. An Outback is not so good in the surf.
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #2
Nickrivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by f'nsabiki View Post
I've landed that way for years. An Outback is not so good in the surf.
Just went out for the first time in my Outback, definitely likes to go sideways. Had a big wave break over me and I got soaked.

I think I'll be swimming it to shore next time...

Nickrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #3
trollindirty
Junior

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm excited to get down there.

For the guys who come back to shore backwards, is there any more specific strategy to this? Is your mirage out and rudder up? when a wave is coming do you charge into it, stay put, or continue paddling backwards? I will keep my sonar on and if the depth is 3-4 feet I have no problem jumping out and walking my kayak the rest of the way.

If the yellowtail are not biting that day, what would be the secondary fish target for you guys, and the way you'd fish for them (in late August). I realize most of you local guys would maybe just call it a day. But I'm coming from far away and want to maximize for the day or two I'm down there.

Should I bother with a short wire leader above my hook or knife jig? Do I need to add a weight to my line if fishing live bait?

Thanks again for all the replies. An active forum like this increases chances of success for someone like me.
trollindirty is offline   Reply With Quote