Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Have you practiced Self rescues?
Yes 24 57.14%
No 18 42.86%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Lightbulb Self Rescues-My Journey- My Practice- the emergency?

Hello everyone,

Everyone that knows me knows that i have never practiced self rescued since i have been paddling my kayak since late 2010.

I am 6ft one 160lbs, have a 6 pack and have muscles ranging from head to toe. A magnificent human i am...

well not really... im 6ft 283lbs now(damn Carl jr Banana shakes), have a nice 1 pack, and barely have any upper body strength except for the muscles that i have gained from paddling so much.

I had a nice 8 mile paddle on Sunday, by myself, which had me thinking: what if it happens, what will i do, can i get back on....

So today was too beautiful not to go to the beach... I took my family and i brought my kayak...

Today was the day, i was going to going to FINALLY practice self rescues...

I don't own a swimming pool and nobody wants a Mexican inside their pool so the ocean it was...

I broke through the waves multiple times to practice going in and out of the surf in 1-3ft waves... all were successful... my wifes even said you looked like you knew what you were doing....

Well, i went out past the surf in about 15 ft of water.... and i rocked my x-factor back and forth so i could tip over..... didn't work...

X-factor was so stable couldn't flip her....so jumping off it was...

jumped off... my pfd was way too loose and was interfering with my visibility....

So i pulled down my pfd and pulled the straps as hard as i can and luckily it tightened.

My first mission: to get back back on my kayak without relying on my safety equipment.

Talking to myself...
Alright frank, YOU CAN DO IT... Just like in you tube.... kick as hard as you can and pull yourself on your kayak.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCDyq4KWBVg

The results: Failed

.... Capsized twice

(out of breath)

Flipping the x-factor in the ocean was easy... just grabbed the opposite handle and pulled on it while pushing the handle that was close to me up.

had my kayak right side up in no time.

Ok... since i can't get on the side of my kayak... i am going to do the ladder...

Everyone knows the ladder right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCC-oX-OsWg

The results: Failed
Could not get the bow of the kayak under me stomach....

So i had no choice....

I grabbed my paddle float...
http://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Sports...s=paddle+float

It took me a few seconds to catch my breath...

Inflated a little bit and slid one end of my paddle and finished inflating the paddle float ....

A surfer had come down to see how i was doing.... I told I am ok... just practicing self rescues.... If i can't get back on I will swim back....

He stayed around for a few mins to make sure i was ok.... I looked at the beach and saw this Lifeguard jeep racing down the beach from 3 life guard towers down....

(i said to myself..." franky my boy, if you don't want to be humiliated i better get back on kayak)

So i put my paddle perpendicular to my kayak next to the ram ball so it would not slide and with the last remaining strength i pulled up...( my kayak is tipping, will i make it... It does not look like it) and MAKE IT!!!! the paddle flat did not let my kayak tip over....

Finally, back on my kayak.... !!!! YES... I look toward the beach.... and the lifeguard jeep is parked and looking straight at me from the beach... Give the thumbs up and they are back on their way... I sit down for awhile and catch my breath...

paddle back to the beach make a successful landing and throw myself next to my wife on the blanket.

My wife looked at me....

Frank, you had everyone nervous... nobody knew what you were doing... everyone was looking at you...

Well i said... i have to practice...

So about 30 mins later i go back out again....(this time i inflate my paddle float and wrap it around the paddle, saves time since im practicing)

Then i said to my self... I wonder if i could stand up on my x-factor...
Stand up on my kayak and fall off....

Swim back to my kayak and put the paddle next to the ram ball and back up on my kayak in one try....

Well... Several things go to my head...

(What if the paddle float rips or my paddle breaks)

So I told my wife... Without the paddle float i can not get back on my kayak.. So i will keep a second one inside my kayak just in case the first one burst...

So all in all, Now i have practiced self rescues if , i ever get tossed by a whale.... or something like that....

I have never capsize or fallen off my kayak in the middle of the ocean... except in the surf....(and i don't plan too) but if it happens I will be ready...

Here is a little video of me practicing in the surf...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDveg...ature=youtu.be

No real emergency, but i might of created one if i could not make it back on...

Hey where is Frank?

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 09-09-2012 at 07:51 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote