Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #1
fish-on-bro
Junior

What's wrong with a PA-12

I own a Malibu mini-x and been using it for 6 years and love it. The Mini-x fit my bill for fly fishing, now I'm looking to upgrade to a PA-12 and see people getting rid of the 12 for the 14. To me the 12 will fill my needs and don't really want a 14' kayak. I would like to hear some feedback on this.

Thanks,
Fish-on-bro
fish-on-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
GTboosted

Speed and storage onboard favor the 14.

Cons for the 14 is slight extra weight

But coming from a mini x, even an outback will be a barge
Old 07-02-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
Raskal311

I rarely see people sell to upgrade for a 14. The 14 is very nice but the extra weigh, storage , transport isn't worth. Many of the pa 12 you have seen posted around OC belongs to my buddies and all have upgraded to a 2017 PA 12 or a boat.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:53 AM   #4
Saba Slayer

PA 12

It seems like most anglers that buy a PA 12 have 2 primary reasons for buying the 12' version. Transport in the bed of a pickup and storage seem to be the reasoning most use to purchase the 12 footer.
The price difference in the two is minimal at original purchase (only about $250)...I prefer the extra storage in back and the larger hatch up front since I like to attach my reliable kill bag on the front hatch.
Yes the PA is big and heavy...but it's like sitting in a a big old luxury sedan...I can spend all day in that big Vantage seat.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:54 AM   #5
jorluivil

Best advise I can give is to test ride the 12 and 14 but I would recommend the 14 for two reasons:

1. You get two more inches in width, I know it doesn't sound like much but it is.

2. The extra 2 feet of kayak means you get 2 more feet of storage and despite the fact that it's longer and heavier the 14 is extremely fast, it's just as fast is not faster than the Outback.

Again, my best advise is to test ride both and go with what you like and not what others suggest

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 07-03-2017 at 10:23 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #6
Baja_Traveler

The new PA's are a noticeable upgrade to the previous versions with the skeg system for better tracking, and the new 180 drive. The Mirage 180 costs so much to upgrade, that it kind of makes sense to just sell an earlier boat in its entirety and pick up a brand new one. If the old boat is well taken care of, you end up spending about the same extra money as just buying the drive, but you end up with a whole new boat also. This may be the reason we are seeing some of them up for sale. Nothing wrong with the PA12, more of them were sold for reasons already stated, so it follows more would be on the second hand market.
Me - I love my 14 and would get another in a heartbeat...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #7
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Get the 14' and save yourself buyer's remorse from the 12'.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
The new PA's are a noticeable upgrade to the previous versions with the skeg system for better tracking, and the new 180 drive. The Mirage 180 costs so much to upgrade, that it kind of makes sense to just sell an earlier boat in its entirety and pick up a brand new one. If the old boat is well taken care of, you end up spending about the same extra money as just buying the drive, but you end up with a whole new boat also. This may be the reason we are seeing some of them up for sale. Nothing wrong with the PA12, more of them were sold for reasons already stated, so it follows more would be on the second hand market.
I like the way you think. Opportunities are where we find them.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:20 AM   #9
fish-on-bro
Junior

Thanks for all the input, sure gives me something to chew on.

Fish-on-bro
fish-on-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:47 AM   #10
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
This is why myself and about 5 of my buddies upgraded this year.

$2300 (old yak) + $500 cash gets a new yak with new drive no brainer. A lot of used PA12 really just means they sold a lot more of them over the years around there.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:46 AM   #11
monstahfish

There's nothing wrong with the 12, it's just for a little extra weight, you get better glide, tracking and more storage.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote