Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
fongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
I was reading this thread on iboats.com about using Great Stuff for Marine applications. This one guy made a lot of sense. Take it for what it is worth. "Great stuff is great for sealing up around doors and windows in the house but for what you are intending I would say it sucks. Take one can of it and try to fill a one cubic foot cardboard box. Ain't gonna happen. On top of that it will be wet forever in thick sections. The pourable foam expand much more and is a two part mix that cures solid in about 15 minutes. It is worth the extra money but I don't think there is extra money."

I have researched the 2 part pour foam for one of my projects. It is the recommended type of foam for marine applications. It comes in different weights; 2lb, 4lb, 6lb, 8lb, etc. The weight refers to the weight of 1 cubic foot when using each of those foams. The heavier the foam, the higher the density and the harder the foam. The 2 and 4 lb density foams expand the most and are used for flotation. Here's a link to a SD company that carries it. Check out the FAQ if you have any questions. 1 cu ft of 2 lb density foam will float about 60 lbs, so your kayak would take about 1 cu ft of this foam. You would need the 1/2 gallon kit (1 qt of part A and 1 qt of part B) of the 2 lb density foam since it makes 2 cubic feet.

You have to work fast with it. After about 20 seconds of mixing, you have less than a minute to pour it before it starts to rise. In 3-4 minutes it is getting hard.
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

So basically everyone is converting their sit on top kayaks to stand up paddle boards.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
Starsky

Seriously guys, kayak fishing has been around a long time, things like this happen. I don't think we need to fill our hulls with foam, as long as we follow all the safety guidelines and keep a watchful eye, we can be prepared for a situation like this. It's not the first time and definitely won't be the last, I think you guys are over-thinking this.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
Seriously guys, kayak fishing has been around a long time, things like this happen. I don't think we need to fill our hulls with foam, as long as we follow all the safety guidelines and keep a watchful eye, we can be prepared for a situation like this. It's not the first time and definitely won't be the last, I think you guys are over-thinking this.
That's a bit of an understatement.

I think I'll take some milk jugs, fill them with expanding foam, tie the milk jugs to buoys and stick them in my haul......that'll keep it from sinking.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #5
driftwood

Old 06-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #6
fongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
........ I think you guys are over-thinking this.
AGREED. I personally wouldn't do it, but if he is going to do it, he might as well do it right!
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote