Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
Dave k

Question on trolling live bait

Hey guys,
New guy here (I’m on a few other boards) with a question. I figured I’d ask it here since I’ve seen a few reports of guys mentioning catching WSB and yellows by slow trolling macs. I’ve spent lots of time targeting yellows and pelagic fish from boats by slow trolling live baits and we would always keep the reel in free-spool (no clicker) and allow the fish to run and eat the bait before setting the hook. On a kayak this isn’t an option unless you have a hobie.

When slow trolling a live bait from a kayak, are you fishing in with your reel in gear, or free-spool with the clicker? Are you running just one hook near the nose or shoulder of the bait, or are you trap rigging?

I would think that the reel in gear with a trap hook would be the best bet and you just have to hope the fish hooks itself. With the reel in free-spool and the clicker on, I would think the fish would drop the bait when it feels the tension, but there wouldn’t be enough pressure on the line to set the hook either.

Thoughts?

Thanks
-Dave
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
JoeBeck

Dave,

I can't speak for everyone but I think most including myself troll with free-spool with clicker so the fish can run and eat the bait before setting the hook. That said I use a lever drag reel for trolling so I put a small amount of tension on it, very light so the fish still can take the line but enough were the clicker isn't driving me nuts every-time a little line slips out.

I use a single hook when fly-lining or with a small weight on the mac. I use a trap-hook when sinking it to the bottom for flatties.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Dan

^ what he said.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Croaker Dave

Single-hook nose, circle hook, free-spool with clicker, lever drag to adjust for bigger baits. Never needed a trap-hook, you troll very slow on a kayak and let 'em chew.
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Tandem Assassin

Trolled with mt reel in gear for the last 5 years and never missed a strike
Tandem Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Dave k

Thanks for the input guys!
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote