Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
frugalfisher

GPS recommendations

I'm looking to purchase a new handheld. Does anyone have a favorite or know of a good deal on a used one? Details would be helpful.

Has anyone used the Bushnell with the satellite photos in the background?

Thanks,
James
Old 04-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Hey James,

I spent a lot of $ on my Garmin GPSmap76 CSX, but I have a very powerful and useful tool that I can do complete chart plotting, store 1000+ Tracks, check local tide buoys' reports, check lunar and sun phases, mark good fishing areas and even put all of the data together to make a "route" to take for my hottest areas and tracks. The Map information is accurate and very complete down to even the Preserve buoys' locations (or lack of them) in La Jolla. I can also use the NMEA interface with my Ray Marine DX 400 to use it as one complete unit. And if all else fails I can use it after a long day on the water to tell me the way home!

It is a little overkill, but toys are supposed to be fun!

There are many other brands and models on the market. So before you buy one, be sure to go down to West Marine in Point Loma and try them all out first, that way you are happy with what you want from your GPS!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
DBITE

I use a Garmin eTrex Vista C and it works great. It's IPX7 waterproof, it floats, its color, and its relatively small. Walmart sells them for around $250, but you could probably find it cheaper online. It also interfaces with my Raymarine DS400X. If you are looking for a purely marine chartplotting unit you would probably be better off with something else. But if you want something small and convenient, that can autoroute you in your car also, I would go with the eTrex.
DBITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

I've used an eTrex Vista for years, always put us on the fish and brought us back between the jetties from those foggy albacore trips.
The color screen is OK, I guess, but like viewfinders on video cameras, many of us still prefer the old black and white display. I reckon you could get the black and white Vista really cheap(if they still make them). You can use it with mapping software on your computer. I think the "C" version uses a USB interface, the old B&W model uses a serial connection, which is pretty slow.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
Aguayak

Be sure you get one with reverse track crumb following. (I'll write up more later.) The main reason for this is because you could get lost in a fog, set your "goto" to the harbor or wherever you launched from and run yourself straight into a cliff, rock pile, or whatever. If you go back the way you came out you'd be safe. A Magellan 210 could be a good deal for you.
Aguayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:39 AM   #6
PaHaSaPa

I've had a Garmin GPS 12 for years. It has all the basic waypoint, route and backtrack features and can still be found, at reasonable prices. It is old school, but it works well with my laptop and TOPO USA as a moving map. I have many waypoints in Dana that were obtained from charts and maps and have been right on.
It's not color or the latest and greatest but is a powerful device. My $.02
PaHaSaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:12 AM   #7
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaHaSaPa View Post
It is old school, but it works well with my laptop and TOPO USA as a moving map.
I use my eTrex with TOPO as well. There are some other free navigational charts that used to be available on the internet, I don't know if they are still available or not.
TOPO is not super detailed as far as marine topography goes, but it does the job for charting waypoints and routes.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #8
frugalfisher

Thanks Guys, I have a new GPS!

I bought the Garmin 76csx that floats. I got a killer deal at West Marine. Wait did I say that!? Yep $100 off then an additional 10% off -down to 315.00

The cheapest online was 357.00 plus S&H

James
Old 05-17-2007, 06:52 AM   #9
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaHaSaPa View Post
I've had a Garmin GPS 12 for years. It has all the basic waypoint, route and backtrack features and can still be found, at reasonable prices. It is old school, but it works well with my laptop and TOPO USA as a moving map. I have many waypoints in Dana that were obtained from charts and maps and have been right on.
It's not color or the latest and greatest but is a powerful device. My $.02
Ditto that. My garmin twelve has survived so many dunkings it has gills. It's 8 years old, major condensation in the screen and keeps on ticking. It's been EOL for some time, so if I were to replace it - I'd get the 72.

You want to be sure it can directly tie into the 12v source without a voltage regualtor. My 12 does not, but the 12xl did. Batteries are expensive. Waterproof.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote