Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #21
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatejay View Post
I don't see why people struggle to keep losing things on surf launches/return. Don't be stupid, secure all your gear! Even pros can flip once in awhile. Sooner or later it's going to happen. Tie your rods down, put all electrical in dry bags and in storage bins and expect the worse. Seems like the ones losing stuff are the cocky guys who think it will never happen to them
What was the original question again?
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:10 AM   #22
ultimatejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
What was the original question again?

lol, I may be a noob but I'm not dumb lol
ultimatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #23
GTboosted

Remember what happened to me?.... Good times lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceruleandrms View Post
Buy a trident, put all your shit in the hull, make sure bait tank is bungeed down proper, time the sets, commit, paddle hella hard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
GTboosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #24
ceruleandrms

Of course I remember

ceruleandrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:13 AM   #25
GTboosted

Ha!

Definitely a story to tell my grand-kids. I remember not even being scared, just pissed that I lost my $300 paddle.

So lesson here is....I don't know, leash your paddle the moment you clear the breakers....oh and watch the weather reports.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #26
ultimatejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceruleandrms View Post

Of course I remember

Wow, that's scary. At least it will be harder to lose my mirage drive on my PA lol
Yeah if the wind is blowing into the ocean- that's a no go. I hate real windy days anyways.
ultimatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #27
GTboosted

My problem was that my first few launches were with very similar conditions and being that it was a Tarpon 140 (14 footer) with a rudder I saw no problem launching. There was also this one day, I forgot why but me and Kevin decided to leave our gear at the shore and we practiced launching thru surf and flipping the yaks once we were past the breakers. We did this quite a few times. So in my head I was "prepared" ...Losing the paddle well that's something else. Lesson learned

I also ordered a PA14, after being in hiatus for almost 2 yrs. My main vehicle to transport the tarpon had some issues. Now I got a trailer for my other car and gonna get back into it.

I only fished for 4 months so I am still a newb when it comes to inshore fishing. I still want to go to LJ and it will probably be the only place I surf launch...my Tarpon's seat broke after a few launches in surf and I will not risk damaging my PA. So besides LJ I will stick to Harbor launches. Looking back at it, I should've kept the tarpon for surf launches. That was fun, but I never lost gear since everything including my FF would go in the front hatch.