Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
yellowtail55
The Highlander

Swell Next Weekend

The swell is predicted to increase next weekend.
http://www.wetsand.com/swellwatch/sw...5&SubCatID=295

I had previously planned on launching next Saturday. Is the swell going to be too big? What size swell do you consider to be the minimum for a semi-safe launch? Any adivce would be greatly appreciated.
yellowtail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

This pretty much only applies to avenida de la playa...
I have never seen LJ shores unlaunchable. Some days are just more dry than others. Sometimes waves can be breaking past the end of the pier, while the launch is ankle slappers, while others times the launch can have 4' sets just like the pier. Just go for it, you never know until you show up.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
yellowtail55
The Highlander

I don't mind getting wet...it's my expensive rods/reels that I'm worried about. I guess I'll strap them to the sides and leash them to help prevent damage.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
lamb

I wouldn’t take that forecast to hearth. I find majority of surfing oriented weather sites to be scary to look at. Think about it – they always hope for more surf. Quite the opposite from us.

Wet sand was forecasting 6-8 ft last few days, and we had 1 and 2 fters at the launch.

That is a piece of cake at LJ. Sometimes it can be tricky in the dark, as you don’t really see what you’re paddling into. But even if you pick a bigger set, you can plow through it. You will get wet… Definitely make sure your rods are tied and your gear is secured, so nothing gets washed away from the deck as you cut through them.

The swell forecast looks on a bigger side for Friday, but we’ll know better the closer we get.

Around noon, I stopped by the launch on my way back from Sorrento Valley. It was flat, 1 ft-ers or less.
I saw a kayak diver with a pretty story.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
dmr

The predictions as of now are for a relatively short period NW swell. It could be on the fun side. Maybe the event organizers could take some video and stills and sell them like they do at amusement park rollercoasters.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
The predictions as of now are for a relatively short period NW swell. It could be on the fun side. Maybe the event organizers could take some video and stills and sell them like they do at amusement park rollercoasters.

lol

Thanks Derek for making the potential tourney crowd feel all warm and fuzzy about signing up.

Hello WCW Kick Off organizing committee - is there going to be a cut off? Suppose if the swell happens to be 8 ft at the Pier on Saturday, can we please have the tourney postponed for Sunday, or whenever it lays down?

WCW can still start on 5/19, so Brad, Tyler and other Brave-Hearts can fish on that 8 ft Saturday. I ain't.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
Jimm H

What direction swell?

At La Jolla, the incoming direction of the swell is as much or more of a factor than the size. as noted, big swell doesn't equate to big surf a t the launch unless the angle is straight in.

And, I have seen unlaunchable surf at La Jolla, with 6 ft. breakers 100 yards out. Usually only see that during the winter, though. That's always a good morning to head to breakfast.
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
madscientist

Is this West Coast Whoppers or West Coast Wimps?

Don't fret guys, forecast doesn't look bad at all. Surf forecasts are irrelevant at LJ except as JimmH pointed out. NW swell is the only time to worry and even then, I don't think I've seen unlaunchable, though I have seen unlandable (at least upright) at LJ.

I'd say the only reason to cancel would be sustained wind over 15, unless its out of the east. Or thunderstorms.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #9
FISHIONADO

I saw a guy paddle out through 5' surf three months after his open heart surgery and didn't even get wet. Grow a pair. lol Totally kidding, it's one of those confidence things, if you think you can make it you probably will, if you don't think you can make it, go to breakfast with JimmH. If you are not sure than leave the tackle in the truck and go play in the waves to find your own limits. Keep it straight and keep paddling, if the footwells flood with water and it gets really heavy no problem, it's a little slower but actually much more stable, just keep it pointed straight and keep moving. No time for hesitation, paddle constantly. Good luck with it and I hope you catch a big one in the tourny.

I'm visiting China for business, didn't work out this time but my counterpart over here said he could hook me up with some type of kayak/canoe and some tackle next time. The pearl river delta and inshore near Hong Kong looks as fishy as LJ.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #10
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
if the footwells flood with water and it gets really heavy no problem, it's a little slower but actually much more stable, just keep it pointed straight and keep moving.
I think about that when guys talk about scupper plugs. I really have no understanding to why some use them. They allow me to take a piss without exposing myself to everyone and also drain the breaker over my bow when launching.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:55 PM   #11
ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman View Post
I think about that when guys talk about scupper plugs. I really have no understanding to why some use them. They allow me to take a piss without exposing myself to everyone and also drain the breaker over my bow when launching.
I agree 100%. IMO, those things are a waste of money, unless you are commanding a boat that gives you swamp ass
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
Will B.

If the surf is up lets all drive over to Mission Bay and have the tournament there.
Will B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #13
esdees
The Good Clone

I believe scupper plugs are meant to be used in calm water. They're supposed to help you go a little faster.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:11 PM   #14
yellowtail55
The Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
I saw a guy paddle out through 5' surf three months after his open heart surgery and didn't even get wet. Grow a pair. lol Totally kidding, it's one of those confidence things, if you think you can make it you probably will, .
I've been flipped by waves a few times at aliso beach in laguna...both times I thought i was going to make it...lol

Our kayak is a double peddler, which means we can't put in the drives until around 1 1/2' of water...since it's usally not convenient, we paddle through the surf, which isn't very fast since our kayak is a tank...
Old 05-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #15
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will B. View Post
If the surf is up lets all drive over to Mission Bay and have the tournament there.
Tell me I didn't just read that....

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #16
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will B. View Post
Good idea Will. lol Then we could all go to the "Manhole" for drinks afterward.
Maybe you should create a new award category for OBOG King.

OBOG="Out of the Bay, Out of the Gay"
Old 05-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #17
lamb

Will can say whatever he wants to say - he IS Bay To Bay king.

I guess Brad can say whatever he pleases too - he is WCW King.

For the rest of us low life creatures - the forecast for the Scripps Pier doesn’t look that bad for this weekend at all.

And it looks like the “weatherpeople” keep lowering their forecast for the swell size.

This is the forecast for the Scripps Pier:

http://cdip.ucsd.edu/?nav=recent&sub=forecast&units=metric&tz=UTC&pub=public&xitem=sio_waves

The waves usually end up being smaller than forecasted… At the Avenida De La Playa launch, the waves are always at least a foot or more smaller then at the Pier. It seems to me it is highly unlikely that we will have some horribly challenging surf conditions on Saturday, the day of the Kick Off Tournament.

Sure thing – everyone should launch only in conditions they feel comfortable with. That is highly personal judgment. Safety first.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:31 PM   #18
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Good idea Will. lol Then we could all go to the "Manhole" for drinks afterward.
Maybe you should create a new award category for OBOG King.

OBOG="Out of the Bay, Out of the Gay"
The best lol I've had all day
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #19
cabojohn
PROBATION

lol
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:55 AM   #20
Handymansd
Ancient Member

lol