Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Guyak

Catching Bait Locations

Hello All,
After throwing plastics all last year, I ponied up and got the Kayatank and I am ready to go for the big boys. I have heard people mention catching bait beyond the pier. I am assuming Scripps?? Where abouts up there? Are their other semi-reliable spots?

Also, any preference on the type or size of the Sabiki?

Thanks for your help. I look forward to getting something with some serious size
Guyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
Dan

Scripps pier is correct. You can get a jump start on the bait in the dark. The baits are attracted to the night lights and the structure. Although this time of year, greylight comes pretty early, and bait is plentiful right at the kelp edge inside the point.

I like the owner sabikis with 4 hooks and 20# test...I just swapped out the one I had tied up for 6 months...that's like 50 years old in sabiki years.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
lamb

I don't think it matters that much - all sabikis seem to work.

Required reading material by Andy Stand Up and Say Iceman: http://thelog.com/news/newsview.asp?c=213114
Old 05-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
tptrench

sabiki

I have had really good luck with #8 sabikis from Sport Chalet. They are about $4.80 and come with 6 "flies". Good luck!
tptrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
madscientist

I'm a big fan of #6 cheapo's off of ebay. $1 each, toss when beat up. Throw a jig on as the sinker and you'll be surprised what else you catch.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:35 AM   #6
Corey

Another cheap and good option are the Ahi brand sabikis. They are somewhere around $2 each at OEX and seem to be of better quality than the other cheapies I've tried.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
yellowtail55
The Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I just swapped out the one I had tied up for 6 months...that's like 50 years old in sabiki years.
That would be like 1000 years old for one of my sabiki's. I've never had one last longer than 2 or 3 trips.
yellowtail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I concur with Corey, the Ahi brand have smaller barbs so it is a little easier to get the bait off the hook, it usually falls in the kayak as I release the line tension, and they are reasonably priced. I also prefer the larger line sizes; I use the 30/20 speckled shrimp with a squid tip with devastating results.

Now... if I can only do as well with the real fish!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:23 PM   #9
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
Now... if I can only do as well with the real fish!
I hear that Handymansd.....I slay bait too! I wonder if I made a sabiki hook out of 4 Salas 6x jrs and 40 lb. mono, maybe I could catch a ?
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #10
Guyak

Thank you to everyone. Lamb I read the article and caught most of Andy's bait catching seminar at the Fred Hall Show. That's where I went to buy the "standard" bait tank and ended up throwing down for the Kayatank.

I will be heading out Sunday bright and early for my first try at something large. Largest fish to date on my yak is a calico around 5lbs.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #11
Guyak

While I am at it, any preference on type of braided line and recommended line test? It's very obvious that braid is a necessity from a kayak in kelp.

Thanks again
Old 05-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #12
Corey

I use 65# powerpro. 65 is a bit easier on the hands (less likely to cut you) than 50# and gives a bit more insurance against abrasion, etc.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:26 AM   #13
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyak View Post
While I am at it, any preference on type of braided line and recommended line test? It's very obvious that braid is a necessity from a kayak in kelp.

Thanks again
When I first started fishing La Jolla (just recently) it seemed most of the guys around here recommended 65 lb braid and a 40 lb top shot. That is what I went with.

There are some guys who use just 30 - 40 lb mono too and say it works fine for them. I guess it is just preference.

I thought I would have a hard time with the braided line because I was not experienced with conventional reels to begin with, then throw in the braided line (which is supposed to birds nest easier) on top and I thought I was going to run into a nightmare! I tired both and actually liked the braided set up better. It is all preference if you ask me

Just my rookie 2 cents!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

If your fishing live bait, "birds nests" should be an issue. It's on casting setups that most find it to be a pain. Look at some of BWE's consistent yakers and you'll see 4 or 5 (or 6 in Brads case ) different setups. One rod for an iron, one for a deep mac, one for a flyline and/or to pitch a bait, and maybe a yo you iron set up. Different line class, different lengths and actions of rods etc.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:03 PM   #15
Guyak

Thanks guys. I have a Penn 555 setup and an Okuma ABF65 Baitfeeder spinning reel setup that I will probably run the braid on. I also have two light setups for flipping plastics for calico's etc.

Seems I have to build up the "Mad Money" stash again
Old 05-23-2007, 06:06 PM   #16
h2ofishfo

fo sure u need atleast 4 setups i use 50#braid cause i feel i can throw the iron a little bit further & w/an avet it actually orbits the mooooon ! ha
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote