Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
steveooo

Tide Question

This is sort of a noob question but thats ok. I usually just fish when I get a break from teaching and don't really pay attention to the tides. What exactly am I looking for when I look at a tide chart? Big swing? Is it better to fish on the upswing or downswing? High tide or low tide? I know that asking this question 20 years after I started fishing is a little late to be asking this, but any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
HookFynn

Steve,

We all got to start somewhere. I am by no means an expert, but I will try and answer your question as best I can.

It has been my experience that it doesn't really matter what tide you are fishing just so long as you are fishing it- incoming or outgoing- makes no difference, you just want the water moving. Remember that fish typically point their noses into the current to hold position and to ambush bait that is pushed into them. If you're fishing structure, make sure you're casting your bait for enough upstream to afford it the opportunity to be at the desired depth when it reaches your target. Bigger swings in tide charts do indicate a larger volume of water being exchanged during that tide and can make for some great fishing.

I hope that helps a little. Feel free to email or call me directly if you would like to have a more in-depth conversation on the subject. Our email and my number is on our website. Also be sure to check out the tides link right off the homepage; some great resources for tides, weather, and solunar forecasts.

Walk the plank,

Bryan Alexander
Captain & Founder
HookFynn- "for those who FISH."
http://www.hookfynn.com
Old 11-19-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
madscientist

In LJ current is more important than tide for the most part, with a strong downhill (south) current ideal. With that said, I feel I catch more fish around the swing of the tide. Halibut in particular seem to be very keyed onto the swing of the tide and almost every one I've caught has come on the swing of the high. But there are always exceptions, and bait, pressure changes, water quality, etc can trump tide on a given day.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:59 AM   #4
steveooo

Thanks Guys
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

for BAY FISHING - the TIDE is extremely critical....

you almost always need a good "tidal swing" (tidal height change) to get the fish to bite.

at least a 2+ ft swing, 3-4 ft usually best, 5-6 ft swings can be good, but also can be "too strong".... and many times the fish hunker down, become inactive, and don't bite much, during these large "tidal flows" that result from the very large tidal height changes.

incoming tides tend to be best, but outgoing are often almost as good.

during times around the lull tides (both high & low tides), there is almost no tidal water "flow", and Bay fishing is frequently VERY slow during these periods.

but these are only "tendacies". not absolutes.

i have had rare days in the Bays, where the fish did bite well, w/ no tidal flow. and days when they were not biting at all, w/ good tidal flow.

although the best conditions to fish BAYS, are definitely during incoming or outgoing tides with 2 to 5 ft swings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

for open OCEAN FISHING (inshore or offshore) - the TIDE is not nearly as critical....

the info posted by MadSci above is certainly knowledeable input. and in the Ocean, current seems to be more critical to the bite conditions, than are the tides.

i personally feel the tide does not have much influence at all, for the "bite" of top-water type Ocean fish, such as YT, WSB, Calicos, Barrys, Bones, etc.

although i do see how tide could play somewhat of a factor to the "bite" of bottom fish in the Ocean, such as Halibut, Lings, and Rock fish, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

when i plan to go fish the Bays, the tide is the first thing i look at.

but when i plan to go fish LJ, i only concern myself with the tides to get an idea of what it will be like launching and landing, etc.

in LJ, i primarily look at the SURF FORECASTS.....

because i handle surf paddling - ALMOST as poorly as Norv Turner coaches NFL football players.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!

Last edited by Hobie-Pedaller; 11-19-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote