Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #21
MotoHero

Traeger Smoker been real controllable

Tried some beef and tri-tip on a Traeger wood pellet grill a couple times this summer and it was so good I worked some overtime to get one. Not being that good of a cook the Traeger wood pellet is almost a "set it and forget it" program which makes me seem better than I really am at it.

Mostly beef but the yellow-tail was awesome with the apple wood. Hickory is a bit strong so I will mix them next try.

Dwayne

PS: just an appetizer...
Attached Images

MotoHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #22
LDO10

A basic marinade is equal parts of shoyu (soy sauce) and brown sugar. From there you can add flavoring, e.g., garlic, pepper flakes, cayenne, jalapenos, citrus, etc. I like that you're willing to experiment. Try lower temps and longer time for a heavier smoke or drier texture. Enjoy.
LDO10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #23
tptrench

Thumbs up

Dam, that got me salivatin! Congrats on the great summer!
tptrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #24
lamb

Nice!
Old 09-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #25
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaquinn View Post
Here is the smoker I use: (and some nice results at the bottom!)

Wish I had smoked fish photos.... but I don't have any.... .just looks like smoked fish. Thanks for the input guys. And as for fishing..... it looks like time to go on the offshore boats right now. I "may" go Friday, but I don't have much freezer room right now! Early this summer, true story, coming back from the Islander overnight trip, with kayaks, we only had a few small fish..... well, the dock was covered with tuna from another boat returning from a 16-day trip, with 28 tons of tuna! So.... with my youngest son, we quickly made friends and took home a free 102-pound Yellowfin! Lots of BBQ on that one!

Here's a photo of the BBQ that night! With WSB and YT as well.... too nice!

Oh man I should have come over and had some, that looks awesome. I was just way too busy getting ready for back to back art shows in extreme heat

I am so ready to get back on the water to chill out ....

Show the other photo as the fish looks way bigger (even tho you look better in this photo), I really like the other shot as it is a monster fish photo ...
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #26
maui jim

OK Boys. If you live near orange county. Here is the shit.
thewoodshedoc.com
Best selection of cooking wood around try some grapefruit wood or cabernate wine barrell.
:coo
Maui loves his smoke.... Maui knows his smoke.......

Check out the wood menu. Youll find something differant youll love.

They also ship wood in small bags
Old 09-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #27
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
OK Boys. If you live near orange county. Here is the shit.
thewoodshedoc.com
Best selection of cooking wood around try some grapefruit wood or cabernate wine barrell.
:coo
Maui loves his smoke.... Maui knows his smoke.......

Check out the wood menu. Youll find something differant youll love.

They also ship wood in small bags

Yup, been hittin the Woodshed for smoker chunks. Great variety & great service. Have Apple, peach, hickory & wine barrel right now. I don't smoke fish because 1) dont want my smoker to have a fish flavor and 2) wife hates smoked fish. But the pulled pork and ribs are the bomb. I took a class a year ago last June from Harry Soo, badass pitmaster in Diamond Bar. Best investment in taking by bbq to the next level! http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/
I have no ties to Harry but it is well worth passing on. He donates proceeds from his class to very worthwhile charities.

I know, threadjack, but I don't pass on stuff I don't believe in. I have referred a couple friends to his course and, all of them seasoned bbq-ers, have come back saying it was well worth it.

Back to the thread, that fish looks incredible. I tried smoking fish in the past but dried it out terribly.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #28
maui jim

Yeah Hunter, I check out That smoking site ia good one alond with a couple others.
I hunt with a Chef, and he does smoking compititions in Utah with his brother,
He has showed me so much, and come to my house for a smoking weekends, we do a big varity on the, Brinkman pro smoker, a Santia Maria pit, and of course the Weber.

smoking is almost the same adiction as fishing and hunting,

SMOKE ON BRUDDAH!!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #29
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

great suggestions....

wow! "cabernet wine barrel", that sounds really good, and for fish, how about "Chardonnay wine barrels", both sounds good. and I have grapefruit wood, but may need some processing.

And yes, this does get addicting, as with each experiment I learn something. Hah! Tonight I wanted to create the world's best hamburgers, and I blew it. Ihave not cooked hamburgers all summer, and I mixed the very good quality ground beef with a bunch of custom bar-be-que sauce..... and the darn burgers so moist they were really tough to get to hold together. Kind of hamburger crumbles. Still tasty.

But BBQ'n and smoking, great past-times. Tomorrow night out to sea for tuna...... maybe some more experimenting, and hopefully some fresh sushi. What a season this has been. And some of you guys getting lobsters.... gotta love our local waters!
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #30
maui jim

Try add an egg or two(depends on how much meat) mixed in for a binder for the meat keeps it from crumbling.

I have made Venision, mixed with Wild pig, and top sirlion for a treat for burgers, dont forget the cheddar or bluecheese along with bacon, red onion and jalipenos....in the mix with a little A1 or worstishire..... I use a burger press and make some half pound goodies.....

Here's a corn on the cob dessert Whole corn on the cob coat with melted butter lather on some sour cream, add sprinkle some parmgesan cheeze, and add some cayanne pepper,wrapped in foil on on the grill, cook turn and cook the packets untill you hear the sizzle from the foil packs, while those bad boy burgers cook.......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm enjoy!!

Crap now I'm hungry....

Last edited by maui jim; 10-01-2012 at 06:14 AM. Reason: change
maui jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #31
Steinsurf
Junior

smoker ideas

CHECK OUT WWW.HANGEMHIGHBARRELS.COM FOR SOME REALLY CHEAP AND REALLY COOL SMOKERS.
iVE SMOKED A TON OF STEELHEAD ON MINE AND ALL THE MEAT THAT HANGS IN THERE IS AWESOME!
Steinsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #32
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Don't forget...

These smoke up nice as well, jerky style

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #33
mtnbykr2

starvin' here...............: D