Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
Badtaste2k

Question about the Malibu x-13 and OK T13 and more?

Hi guys, I've been lurking for a while as I have been slowly building up my confidence to try some Yak fishing. I have been a casual fisherman since i was a kid and figured I could talk my wife into saying OK for the Kayak by pulling the old "Come on dear, it's a good workout and fresh fish too!" Anyways, long story short she is all for it. I haven't yaked since i was a kid and that was whitewater once.

For the last couple weeks I have been going to Kayak on the Water in Long Beach and just renting a yak for a couple hours a few days a week to get the paddling and maneuvering down. Kicked my ass first day out, still loved it! They have the Malibu X-13 and that is what I have been riding. Their yaks seem pretty beat up, but the place is close and cheap for the rentals. I am thinking of picking up the OK Trident 13 angler. It seems like a good yak and a lot of folks give it praise. I am 5'11-230lbs. I live in San Pedro and plan to do most of my fishing out of Cabrillo and RPV with a run to LJ eventually. The X-13 and OK have very similar specs but i was wondering if they handle and feel similar? The x13 seems to handle fine, a bit of a wet ride for me but that is expected since they have no seats and it is a water sport. I don't know where i could rent an OK to try out near the South Bay? If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. I am not fixed on the OK 13T, i just like the easy access to rods and it seems well laid out, but i would love to hear any other opinions.

I have pretty limited experience with yaking but have decided to go at it full speed.

Thanks for your help everyone and I'm looking forward to making some new fishing buddies

Dan
Badtaste2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Rav3n805

I would go with the OKT15, I have the T13 and its a great kayak, but could use some more weight capacity for those good days otw It's nice to have that extra weight capacity for loading the yak with gear and fish I have never owned a Malibu, but they seem like solid kayaks! Can't go wrong with either yak, for you're first rig! You can up grade when you discover your likes and dislikes! I'd say go with trident 15! Tarpons are also SOLID, and hear they handle quite well but lack the storage.I'm sure someone will chime in about Hobie, I am personally trying to master a true classic paddle yak then make the switch to the dark-side Good luck to you!
Rav3n805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
Badtaste2k

Thanks for the response Rav3n805! I haven't seen the 13 and 15 next to each other yet. I am a little concerned with size since i will be storing in the house and i will probably be mounting it on the roof of my CRV. Thinking about it though, 13 and 15 ft don't seem like that much of a length difference, i will have to measure my storage space. I hadn't really considered past 13', i thought that may be a little long already
I have looked into the hobbies. They seem really nice but probably a little overkill for me at this stage unless i found a nice one used.

Thanks
Dan
Badtaste2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
mtnbykr2

Hobie Outback (darkside) 13 feet just right...
I had an Xfactor for 3 years, great stable ride, pretty fast, the tarps are good but if you get addicted like most in here, you will go through a couple before you settle in...welcome to the crew
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
jaycee386

If price is not an issue Hobie Outback hands down. As far as a place near by to compare boats side by side in San Pedro is Xstreamline on Gaffey. By far they have the most invEntory. Not sure if you can demo them but inwas there recently and they must have had 6 tridents on display in an assortment of colors.
jaycee386 is offline   Reply With Quote