Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
withoutapaddle
Catch, Fillet, Release

Seal Repellent.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I really enjoy and appreciate all the info, perpectives and Fishing BS that is shared here.

First lobster hooping season for me this year. So far I've bagged bugs 7 out of 11 trips and have been having a blast doing it. Its been a fun challenge to research, devise and refine tactics and gear.

Last night my buddy and I were harassed by seals at all three locations we tried and right now I can't think of what to do differently to avoid a similar scenario the next time a seal decides he's interested in our bait.

We tried everything we knew to do (ignore them and continue, a guide suggested slapping a paddle on the water to annoy them, sometimes just hanging out near our floats worked), but we experienced the most aggressive behavior yet (surfacing inches from our legs, nudging the yaks from the bottom and nosing the hoops on the deck of my yak), and finally called it an early night after watching a seal dive for our first hoop at our third spot.

It was still an awesome night, but if anyone has any tips for dealing with the seals, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

jp
Old 02-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
TJones

Since I don't do hooping

My first thought was 22 cal.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
madncrzydm

Do you have seal proof bait cages?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Paint ball gun.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by madncrzydm View Post
Do you have seal proof bait cages?
Seals can't get food, seals leave.

What I really want to know is, will the seals take lobsters from the hoops?
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Necron 99

I was wondering if you guys had a good night. I didn't make it out Friday morning. I heard a paintball gun might work or it might piss them off. There are a few discussions of anti seal tactics on this site.
Necron 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
sasha

Slingshoot with marbles or round rocks. Or you can get some cement and cast your own projectiles weight and size that you like. Easy to use won't get you in trouble and fun to shoot.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Sdspeed

NOAA says if they are endangering you or interfering with your fishing that projectiles that will not cause injury to or break the skin is okay. This was a major discussion on the Spear Fishing forums since a number of free divers were be literally attacked after a catch. Big warning they repeated over and over was be prepared because what you do may just piss off a large,fast and heavy doormat.

I've had a run in with them scuba diving down around the Coronado Islands
and their not afraid to remind you it's their neighborhood.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
T Bone

the biggest problem for me is they scare or eat the bugs in the hoop.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
TJones

rim fire

unacceptable?
Old 02-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
withoutapaddle
Catch, Fillet, Release

Have (had, lost two Thursday to the seal(s) "secure" bait cages. Have heard pb'rs talk about paintball guns (seems impractical on the yaks). If sling shot with projectiles is legal that seems possible, but I'd hate to invite any more agressive behaviors. Was hoping to come up with something safe for all involved. Maybe ill paint the bottom of the yaks to look like a shark.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
tptrench

357 mag
tptrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
tacmik

Picture of mother in law on bottom of yak. Keeps both sharks and seals away.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #14
Dannowar

Just let Cbad Mike near him...
Old 02-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Seals can't get food, seals leave. What I really want to know is, will the seals take lobsters from the hoops?
Yes on both counts.

First off get or make metal bait cages that they can't get your bait out of, but your still going to have the problem of them trying to eat bugs especially the shorts you release.

If you just take shorts out of the net and toss them the seals will grab them on the way down, and keep following you for more free meals. I leave shorts in the net when seals are around then when I drop the net I let the rope slide through my hand with a little pressure on it. If I feel a thump on the way down that means the seals are directly raiding the net on the way down.

In that case I take any shorts I get, put them in a five gallon bucket (I carry one for this purpose) paddle well away from my nets, and then sit for a few minutes watching for seals. They may follow but they get bored quickly if your not pulling nets or tossing bugs in the water, and leave after a while. Dump the shorts away from the nets when the seals aren't around and they will stop following you when you're pulling your nets.

Up here we have the problem of seals that have been essentially tamed by the Marine Mammal Rescue center in San Pedro. Ones that get too friendly they dump in SMB to keep them from repeatedly coming back to the center. I've had pups climb into the boat then hang out as if they expected to be fed and petted. Seals literally so tame you could safely touch them, a screwed up, and completely unnatural situation.

When these pups come up to may yak (they are tagged), I first try smacking the water with the paddle if that doesn't work I wait to their close and smack the side of my yak hard with my fist or the paddle.

They don't like loud noises and the booming sound of smacking the yak will make them afraid of the kayak, and get them to keep their distance.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 02-10-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by withoutapaddle View Post
If sling shot with projectiles is legal that seems possible, but I'd hate to invite any more agressive behaviors. Was hoping to come up with something safe for all involved.
That's a common mistake.

This isn't pets at a dog park it's nature. A stern talking to is not going to work. The reason that seal is trying to eat your bugs is because it's a low risk scenario with a high amount of reward. A short swimming down to the bottom is defenseless, where a bug on the bottom in a net or in it's favorite crevice can defend itself with it's spines by facing the seal and scraping up it's nose.

If you want seals to leave you alone you have to convince them that it's not really a free meal, that going after those bugs is either too much trouble or not worth the risk involved. Half assed measures will not work and will actually just encourage them.

When fishing if a seal approaches me I always grab my Iron rod and cast my 6xjr right at their head as hard as I can. I never have hit one but the sound of that Iron Smaking the water next to them is enough to scare them off. Similarly the chance of actually hitting the seal especially in the dark with a slingshot is pretty minimal but the sound of the projectile hitting the water next to them will scare them just like it would scare me if I was in their position.

Some people hate seals. I'm not that guy, but I don't want them stealing fish or bugs from fisherman, so I do everything I can to deter them. That's best for me but it's also the best thing you can do for the seal.

Jim
Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
Slingshoot with marbles or round rocks. Or you can get some cement and cast your own projectiles weight and size that you like. Easy to use won't get you in trouble and fun to shoot.
Sling shot with pepper spray or home mix of Tabasco, red pepper,& jalapeños paint balls much like DFG uses for bears. Actually their called pepper balls.(for a moment forgot what they're called).
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #18
TJones

good bit of information Fisk

i will try this if bothered the next time fishing . like you, i have nothing against them . it is their territory . i never knew that they would eat bugs , but it makes sense . lobsters are a delicacy of the ocean . i really haven't gotten into hooping yet . maybe in the future . all kidding aside , i really am not fond of the slingshot technique . a b.b. is not gonna hurt him on the hide , but if hit in the face , or in eye , or mouth could produce a different result. now you have an injured animal or mammal , who might have trouble fending for self .
Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #19
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
.....all kidding aside , i really am not fond of the slingshot technique . a b.b. is not gonna hurt him on the hide , but if hit in the face , or in eye , or mouth could produce a different result. now you have an injured animal or mammal , who might have trouble fending for self .

Chances your not going to hit them anyway, we're talking about a moving target in the dark, but if your worried use rubber balls.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140915964068?www.ebay.com/itm/140915964068?

It's not about hitting them it's about hitting the water near them and scaring them away.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #20
TJones

copy that

what i meant is , i will try the banging on the kayak , or using the paddle on the water . knowing that the sound irritates them . or throwing the jig near their location . heck , with my luck i might snag one .