Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
emrliquidlife

Transducer install Epoxy vs Pool Noodle

So I have an Eagle Cuda 168 fish finder that I want to install in a thru hull.

Seeing an old post by Billy V about bubbles in the Goop, I know I don't want to do that.

So, my options seem to be:

Tupperware style - I don't mind the hand work of shaping a piece of tupperware to the shape of my inside hull.

Pool Noodle - Gooping a piece of noodle that snugly fits the transducer. This creates a pool for the transducer to get a water filled pool for the signal to pass thru the hull.

Epoxy - Transducer straight to the hull via epoxy. As I have read on here, this way is permanent.

Since this is an inexpensive FF, I'm looking to get maximum ability out of it.

Thanks for the input.

Ed
Old 10-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

goop has worked just fine for me, just a little dab, let stand 5 minutes, or so, then apply puck. I hold it down with a dive weight over night. I have not noticed a significant difference in reading between my kayak and boat. (they use the same FF/GPS)
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
emrliquidlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
goop has worked just fine for me, just a little dab, let stand 5 minutes, or so, then apply puck. I hold it down with a dive weight over night. I have not noticed a significant difference in reading between my kayak and boat. (they use the same FF/GPS)
The "goop" I have is 3M Marine Adhesive 5200. Hope it doens't make a differance.

I remember seeing a thread where Billy had seen a huge differance from Goop to and epoxy.

I'm hoping to get the most out of the FF.

Ed
Old 10-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
GregAndrew

Howdy Ed.

I have a through scupper Xducer, but I like the tupperware idea best for in-hull mounting. Should not have to worry about bubbles with it. Makes your FF much more portable too. Just make sure to use a liquid not likely to grow anything and cut the foam tight to prevent movement. Might get some interesting temp readings when you first get in though.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
flydigital

I've had no problem with the marine goop install. There will always be bubbles when applying the "puddle" but if you roll the transducer front and back, side to side about 5 times while pushing in the puddle the air bubbles will move to the sides out of the way and you'll get good readings. I've done this 3 times and always great results compared via different installs including in-the-water (liberator arm and transom mount) and other shoot-through installs. I've also seen failed installs and the results. Push and roll, it works...
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Rob929

I have also done Marine Goop installs (twice) and not had any issues either time.

The second time I used some foam from a walmart camping/sleeping bag pad (about $5) and made a cut out to fit the transducer. I glued this down first and at that point there's the option to fill the cut out with vaseline and press fit the transducer for a temporary install, or fill the cut out with marine goop, roll the transducer and press in well (as mentioned) to remove bubbles, and you should be good to go. I chose to do use the goop again.

Not sure about the 3M glue. I'm assuming it's clear? I have used 3m 5200 for boat repair in the past, it was black, and very strong. I cannot recall how hard it cured, but I do know the Marine Goop dries somewhat rubbery and flexible- good if any future changes or a redo is neccesary.
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
steveooo

1 more vote for marine goop. 5 installs, never had a problem.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
Grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife View Post
The "goop" I have is 3M Marine Adhesive 5200. Hope it doens't make a differance.

I remember seeing a thread where Billy had seen a huge differance from Goop to and epoxy.

I'm hoping to get the most out of the FF.

Ed
You're not suppose to use 5200, from what I hear....that is NOT goop. Marine Goop is "Marine Goop" that is the official name and brand.

5200 is supposedly harder to get air bubbles out, but then again people have used is successfully too. Also, I remember seeing a post about the chemical properties of 5200 that isn't good, whatevers.

I've used both goop and epoxy (current) and don't see no difference and no problems with either. Haven't tried 5200.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
Billy V

Marine Goop will work if you flow it careful without bubbles. You only need a small amount.

I'm using a 2 ton clear epoxy from devcon. It dries in 8 hours, but I let it cure for 24 hours. It is not permanent, I have removed a transducer that was epoxied in my last yak.

Both give a good picture if properly prepped.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:13 AM   #10
peguinpower
bing!

soaking the adhesive container in a tub of hot water helps a lot with the losing air bubbles. just make sure to dam the area as goop will flow more when it is hot.

dont use 5200. you are asking for trouble there.

/bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
yakrider

My Tx install record:
Marine Goop = 6 successfull installs
5200 = 1 not so successfull install (got no readings) do not use!
Pool noodle wet well = 1 successful install (my current set up) Love it!

for depths up to 150' goop is fine...
if you want to see the hard bottom at 240', go with the wet well...
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
T-Rex

I've had better luck with the pool noodle wet well. No issues with bubbles and you can remove the transducer easily.