Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Fiskadoro

The future of Lobster management?

Some of you may have heard about the recent lobster advisory committee recommendations to the the DFW (formally DFG) as to what management measures should be used in the future to protect our California Lobster fishery.

The back story on this is that the Chinese who used to have their own spiny lobster fishery are now paying top dollar for our California lobster and as a result our commercials have ramped up their efforts put more traps in the water then ever before, and are taking record amounts of our lobsters, which in turn are being shipped to China for record prices.

It's a classic example of the unintentional effects of Globalization. In the past when the commercials over harvested they would create a glut in the market that would drive the lobster price down. That is no longer the case. The Chinese Market and their demand for Spiny Lobsters has tipped the scale when it comes to the commercial fishery. There is now no incentive for them to conserve the resource because in the short term the more they sell at record prices the more they make and long term the less lobsters there are the more they will be worth.

The Department of Fish and Wildlife's mandated mission is clear. It's their job to manage California fish and wildlife so that we the citizens of California will have access to those resources. That includes current and future access. Our fish and wildlife are considered a Public Resource essentially owned by the citizens of California, so essentially our lobsters are the property citizens of California, and the DFW is supposed to mange them for our benefit.

That's is why the recent recommendations by the Lobster Advisory Committee are so disturbing. Rather then respond to the real issues of the record demand and commercial catch, or the fact that the majority of our lobsters are now being shipped overseas, they instead came up with a series of measures designed to limit public access, by imposing a series of gear and access restrictions on the public recreational lobster fishery instead of the commercial lobster fishery.

This is in direct contradiction with the very principle of the DFW. That it's their Job to manage our public resource and protect our access to that resource which is technically the property of the citizens of California.

So what are the long term implications here. Well take a look at today's news.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...-season-on-ice

In Maine they just had to shut down a traditional Shrimp fishery because of a rapid decline in their population numbers in the last decade. The fishery has collapsed, I suppose you could blame it on all kinds of things but this is the first time that fishery's been closed in almost half a century, and the real reason is right there in the article.

".......Spencer Fuller, a manager for Cozy Harbor Seafood, which processes and ships Maine products across the globe, says some shrimping should have been allowed to continue — albeit with much-reduced quotas. "We've been able to establish ourselves in major retailers in Europe," Fuller says. Just three years ago, he explains, Cozy Harbor was shipping thousands of metric tons of Gulf of Maine shrimp, much of it ending up on the shelves of markets in places like the United Kingdom, Sweden and Denmark...With no more shrimp, Fuller says a crucial toehold in overseas markets will be lost........."

This is the kind of thing that happens when you allow a unlimited commercial catch of a public resource and allow that catch to be shipped overseas to essentially unlimited markets in order to maximize industry profits. There's not enough shrimp in the Gulf of Maine to feed all of Europe, just like there's not enough lobsters in California to feed all of China.

The Australians already know this. They have their own spiny lobster and at one point upwards of 90% of their lobsters were being sold to China. After experiencing a major decrease in both the catch rate and juvenile settlement rate which are both used to measure of lobster population vitality the Australians concluded their lobster population was in jeopardy and installed a strict quota system for their commercials in order to protect their fishery.

The quotas went into effect three years ago, and there have been serious repercussions.

Initially the Chinese fought back. They banned the import of Australian lobsters altogether in order to put pressure on the Australian Government to remove the quotas. When the Australian Government would not back down they removed the ban and imported every Australian Lobster they legally could but at the same time started buying record numbers of California lobsters.

In other words the boom in California Lobster exports is a direct result of Australia trying to protect it's lobster fishery from a collapse due to over fishing that was caused by exporting too many lobsters to China.

The demand for Australian lobsters to ship to China is still so high in Australia that there have been serious problems with the commercials poaching, or exceeding their quotas. It's so bad that they are now prosecuting them, giving them fines of tens of thousands of dollars.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-2...r-fine/4985156

Like I said all you have to do is look at the News to see where this is potentially going to go.

California Lobsters are a California Public Resource. They are our lobsters.

The writing is on the wall if we're willing to look at it.

What we need to do is get the DFW to do it's job and really protect our lobster resource for the people of California.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 12-07-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Right on!

California lobsters for Californians!
Easy to do, go back in time when our lobsters could only be sold live.
Ban the export of California lobsters while we still have a healthy fishery. Just a couple of years like last year could ruin it for decades. But no, it will be studied until until they are GONE.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
ctfphoto

I have always gone to areas to hoop that are closed to the commercial guys and done fairly well. Maybe 2 to 3 shorts per legal.

I had ALWAYS wanted to try La Jolla (where the commercial guys go) and went one time this season and got 33 shorts and ZERO legals.

Seems to me I know who has the bigger impact, by far, In My Personal Experience.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
I have always gone to areas to hoop that are closed to the commercial guys and done fairly well. Maybe 2 to 3 shorts per legal.

I had ALWAYS wanted to try La Jolla (where the commercial guys go) and went one time this season and got 33 shorts and ZERO legals.

Seems to me I know who has the bigger impact, by far, In My Personal Experience.
In Dana point I normally find 50-100 shorts per legal! Sounds crazy but I have 3 years and dozens of trips there to back that up and I doubt at that rate its the recreational guys doing the impact it, and they have the nerve go say its us and not the commercial pots in a grid pattern 15-20 feet apart all over the point..... twords the beginning of this session I padled to the point and was disgusted by the sheer number of commercial pots some so close to each other I could span the distance with my yak....

Thanks for the great information if we could raise awareness hopefully we can help fight to keep the fishery ours and not chinas personal pantry
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Its really sad that our lobsters are for sale to the highest bidder...when it comes to money....it usually wins...what right be dammed!

Im sure whoever makes the rules and descisions is for sale as well...and im sure that they already have been bought!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
bubblehide

Fiskadoro, very well written write up, that totally hits the mark. Hopefully a few prople will read this and get fired up for the up coming DFW meeting.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote