Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
wbrewski

PA cart

For you guys with a pro angler, in you opinion what is the best cart to buy for my pro angler?
wbrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Rufus

Whacha really need is a fork lift!

I usually launch my PA from the beach at Shelter Island, the sand there is softer than many beaches. Plus the beach slopes down to the water and up to the truck. Ug.

The stock Hobie wheels aren't the best to use with the PA in soft sand. That was clear yesterday when I dragged the wife's Revo 11 down and back. Yikes, that was easy!

OTOH, hauling my PA down and back kicked my ass!

One day I'll get fed up enough I'll buy a mule or a set of bigger wheels.

So if I had to vote with your money, I'd say buy a cart with the big wide wheels.

BTW, I'll never give up my battleship Pro Angler. NFW! Love it to death. And for you guys who think it's a slow pig, I have no problem keeping up with my very fit wife driving her Revolution 11. The speed of the PA even surprised her.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
RockyRaab

I got the upgrade to the mid-level cart. The tires are wider than standard but not as big as the largest ones. Except for very soft sand, I think the mid-weight is about right.

BTW. there's no way the supplied set-screw spacer will hold the weight of the PA and keep the keel off the cart axle. I measured and cut PVC spacer rings about 3/4" wide and slipped them on the uprights, then slipped down the rubber bumper supplied with the cart. (I cut rings of 1" ID PVC and then sawed a straight connector in half to fit snugly over the pipe rings.)

Here's how the spacer sits, looking from "below". Axle, spacer and factory bumper.

RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Plus the beach slopes down to the water and up to the truck. Ug.
thank god...might be in a little trouble if it was the other way around.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
MWC359

Build your own from PVC and some wheels from a childs big wheel......a fraction of the cost and it works great
MWC359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Hellboy1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Whacha really need is a fork lift!

I usually launch my PA from the beach at Shelter Island, the sand there is softer than many beaches. Plus the beach slopes down to the water and up to the truck. Ug.

The stock Hobie wheels aren't the best to use with the PA in soft sand. That was clear yesterday when I dragged the wife's Revo 11 down and back. Yikes, that was easy!

OTOH, hauling my PA down and back kicked my ass!

One day I'll get fed up enough I'll buy a mule or a set of bigger wheels.

So if I had to vote with your money, I'd say buy a cart with the big wide wheels.

BTW, I'll never give up my battleship Pro Angler. NFW! Love it to death. And for you guys who think it's a slow pig, I have no problem keeping up with my very fit wife driving her Revolution 11. The speed of the PA even surprised her.

Isis that only once with my wife's quest 11 and my PA. Now all I do is park by the boat ramp, off load everything there and go park. When I come back I wheel the PA down on to the dock take the wheels off and slide it into the water same with the wife's. It makes it so much easier and getting it back out is just as easy as putting it in. I will never launch off the beach again at shelter island.
Hellboy1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 AM   #7
Rufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy1500 View Post
Isis that only once with my wife's quest 11 and my PA. Now all I do is park by the boat ramp, off load everything there and go park. When I come back I wheel the PA down on to the dock take the wheels off and slide it into the water same with the wife's. It makes it so much easier and getting it back out is just as easy as putting it in. I will never launch off the beach again at shelter island.
Ya, agreed. But I'm stubborn and our motorboat brothers scare the bejesus out of me!!

At least launching from the beach I'm safer!
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote