Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Fiskadoro

Do a Barrel role!!!

Or how about just a loop

Recently I came up with my own 100% knot strength loop knot, an alternative to the Bimini Twist. Just wanted something that made a super strong loop, that I could easily tie on a kayak.

Not only does it work, but it's so easy I can tie it with my eyes closed.

I know BS without pics, well how about a video.

There you have it, Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 07-19-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

that looks like a bunch of twists! have you tested knot strength and where the line breaks?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
that looks like a bunch of twists have you tested knot strength and where the line breaks?
Yes with thirty pound Ande I tested it forty times yesterday it usually broke at 31 to 33 pounds always in the line never at the knot.

In contrast a surgeons loop with the same 30 mono consistently broke at the knot at 23 to 25 pounds.

With sixty pound Ande it almost always breaks between 65 and 70 pounds. Out of twenty tests it broke right at the knot once, but the rest of times it was away from the knot in the line.

This is about the same results I get with the Bimini twist but the Bimini is much harder to tie.

The knot itself is pretty simple. I essentially just combined some aspects of the Tony Pena Knot and the old improved clinch knot but instead of a splice or attachment I just made a loop with it.

Jim
Old 07-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Yakin

When you tie any knot onto your line you lose 15%-30% of your line strength at the max but seeing the way your perfected that it was very interesting!!
when I use a normal hook I will try this next.
You should do a very slowed down video of it in brighter light to see it step by step!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post
When you tie any knot onto your line you lose 15%-30% of your line strength at the max but seeing the way your perfected that it was very interesting!!
when I use a normal hook I will try this next.
You should do a very slowed down video of it in brighter light to see it step by step!
Come on man, this was a perfect opportunity to plug your hooks!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Come on man, this was a perfect opportunity to plug your hooks!
Haha I am not a big franchise Neil. I tie knots for my bigger hooks that we don't make.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
When you tie any knot onto your line you lose 15%-30% of your line strength !

I hear you. The surgeon loop was pretty disappointing with thirty Mono, I mean 23 pounds a loss of almost 30% is a joke.

What happened was I came up with a new way to fish something that needed a loop and though I'm good with a bimini, they really are hard to tie especially on a yak on the water. I went through and tried pretty much every loop I could find that could easily be tied, and none of them were strong enough.

So I started playing around with various ideas. The Bimini works because it's wrap over wrap nature.

You can see how it's tied here:
http://www.animatedknots.com/bimini/index.php

What's really interesting about the Bimini is that the twists are not compressed by tightening the knot at the end of tying it but during the process where you pull the two legs of the loop apart and in the process wrap the second layer around the first set of twists so they are both already tight. Cool, but it's also why it's so hard to tie.

At any rate I set out trying to figure out ways to do that double twist or wrap more easily.

A lot of people tie the Tony Pena like this:

That method does not produce a 100% splice in my opinion.

I use something more like this version of the Tony Pena:

If you look at step three and four you can see how I got my double wrap.

The deal is that the wrap or twists are loose unlike the bimini and unfortunately you can't just pull it tight by pulling the line like you can with the Pena knot .

To get around that tie it off to the loop with a variation of a improved clinch.

Then I put fingers from both hands in the created loop and pull it open, pulling on each leg like you do during the process of tying the Bimini. The difference is I'm doing it after the knot is loosely tied.

This compresses the turns from the loop towards the line which is the opposite of how they are usually are compressed. I just did it to see it would work at all. It did compress, made a solid loop, and then when I tried it with the drag scale the first try which was tied thirty Ande it broke in the line not at the knot at 32 pounds. After that I tied it maybe forty or more times. Every time it broke in the line, not at the Knot. It seems to be completely a 100% when tying thirty mono.

After that I tried it with sixty Ande, and though it's harder to compress at the end it still came out pretty much 100% breaking in the line not at the Knot in the 65 to 70 pound range.

It's like a bimini you cinch up after the fact. If I had found in some mag I would of thought it was cool, but I actually invented the thing. I'm actually a little stunned. I did not expect it to say the least.

Up to now I know of only two true 100% Knots for producing loops in Mono. The Bimini Twist, and the Ausi Braid. Both of those are great knots but super hard to tie. Right now from the tests I've done it looks like a have a somewhat comparable knot strength wise, that can do the same job.

So essentially I combined ideas from three knots, and got a 100% knot that's so easy to tie I can do it with my eyes closed.

Who could of seen that coming? I didn't

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 07-19-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Yakin

Well mad props on the mad scientist work on the knot!
I will be trying to tie it the next few nights for fishing 80lb mono for threshers
Old 07-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
Dave k

Very cool Jim!

Just curious as to whether you've done any testing on the spider hitch knot? That's been my go-to "dropper loop" knot and I haven't had any issues to date. Pretty easy to tie as well.
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave k View Post
Very cool Jim!

Just curious as to whether you've done any testing on the spider hitch knot? That's been my go-to "dropper loop" knot and I haven't had any issues to date. Pretty easy to tie as well.
No I have not. Tried it when I was young and had some issues with it, then never used it again. Could be I was just taught wrong.

Just tried my knot with 20 mono. Very easy to tie with lighter line. Perfect every time. Ten knots all broke the line not at the knot in the 25 pound range.

Jim
Old 07-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Well mad props on the mad scientist work on the knot!
I will be trying to tie it the next few nights for fishing 80lb mono for threshers
80lb might not work that well as it may be hard to tighten. I've tried sixty and that works but I have not tried eighty yet.

Tried Spectra...... Very disappointing!! Hundred pound spectra slipped and broke at 75lbs Tied up nice, might try more wraps.

Here's a image I made up if you want to try your own.

Good luck!!

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 07-19-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
dorado50

Damn you!!! I've been using bimini for years and have never thought of using anything else!. That is a very good knot you got there,just might have to rethink my game plan on knots....maybe...thanks for sharing
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

next Fred Hall show I'm winning that knot tying challenge .
Its so good to see Jim getting a hold on this whole internet thing!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #14
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Damn you!!! I've been using bimini for years and have never thought of using anything else!. That is a very good knot you got there,just might have to rethink my game plan on knots....maybe...thanks for sharing
Thanks!

I was thinking about the various posters that might really utilize it and yours was one of the first names I thought of. A easier to tie Bimini type knot is not a hard sell, if your used to using double line, or loop to loop. Looks like I'll have to stick with the Bimini for spectra but I can live with that.

Jim