Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
dmanars
Junior

New to Southern California

Hello! I moved to Phoenix, AZ last year from Texas. I used to do a lot of kayak fishing at the rigs and beyond the breakers. When I moved I left all my poles behind. Im going to try to restock my tackle and poles/reels.
So first question.

Where close to San Diego can I go off the beach to fish (more popular spots)? Do I need a kayak cart?

What are the more popular baits artificial and dead for trolling?

What test line do you normally use?

What months are best to fish?

Do you have to wait for the blue water to come in?

And any other advice would be most helpful.

I used to troll in the mornings and fish on the bottom in the afternoon around gas rigs, especially when the blue water is withing 2 miles.
If the seas arent calm, Ill fish the flats etc...

Thank you
dmanars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
Carp
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanars View Post

Where close to San Diego can I go off the beach to fish (more popular spots)? Do I need a kayak cart?
Shelter island, la jolla

What are the more popular baits artificial and dead for trolling?
Buy/build a bait tank lol I can't help here I don't fish to much artificial

What test line do you normally use?
I use 60lb pp w/ 30lb top shot on avet mxl

What months are best to fish?
All of them

And any other advice would be most helpful.
If you need any help with your gear stop by OEX and see CJ
For fishing gear see Joey @ Squidco they both will treat you right and don't mind shooting the breeze about fishing/kayaks

Thank you
Welcome
above in Bold is what I use I'm still pretty green but hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:33 AM   #3
walrus

I would suggest stopping in at OEX on your first trip and talk with the fellows to get up to speed with the area and the specific needs of a pacific ocean kayaker.

San Diego county has nearly fifty miles of beaches. Many are great surfing spots therefore not so hot for the kayaker. On your first trips you might try Mission Bay, or San Diego Bay to meet and talk with other kayak fishermen in the area.

The line depends on what/where you fish.

There are some really good tournaments here, like the recent HOW tournament. It's a great place to come and meet the most active local fishermen, get area tips, and just have fun.

Just come on over and meet the guys, that's the best way.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:17 AM   #4
TJones

welcome to california

good luck .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
dmanars
Junior

Thanks everyone. I need to build my gear. My first trip will probably be in June sometime. Ill be combing the forum. It doesnt have to be San Diego where I launch from.
I have narrowed my target fish. Thresher, Tuna and mahi. Ive seen pictures, I just want to be in them now. Well if anyone would like to chime in please do.
Tight lines
Old 05-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
Zed
BANNED

Thresher I can guarantee. Mahi and tuna are w/in 10 miles of shore about once every 5 or so years unless you count bonito. Happy paddling.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

The tuna and mahi might be a little tough from a kayak. Mahi would be more realistic and I've heard of them being caught within 5 miles from shore. The water really needs to warm up for that to happen. We are supposedly getting a record El Niño coming in this year, and with all these west winds we have been seeing, I don't doubt it. Scientists say 2015 will be the hottest year on record. The fishing back in 97-98 when we had our last El Niño, was epic. But I was boat fishing back then. I've hooked a thresher in 40 feet of water. Those would be the dominant species would be seeing before the mahi and before the tuna.

Now hamachi is another ball game. And I will let someone who could school me on yellowtail chime in now. Because I know there are plenty of you guys on this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #8
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Thresher I can guarantee. Mahi and tuna are w/in 10 miles of shore about once every 5 or so years unless you count bonito. Happy paddling.

If he counts bonito, then I'm going to have to count these 15 tuna in my bait tank 😬

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #9
Zed
BANNED

^Lol
Coming from TX hes gonna have a rude awakening re water temps.
We get 3-4 months of water above 70F and maybe one month around 75. Well see what happens this September.

Inshore "blue" water is rare. May I introduce you to the bass to keep busy?
Old 05-09-2014, 04:30 AM   #10
TJones

Try searching for fisholic

Always has great gear , and great deals .
Old 05-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #11
CKallday71

Welcome to the land of fruits and nuts where the ground shakes, the women have more plastic in them than a swim bait, and the laws, rules, and regulations will drive you to drink.... However, the weather is great, you can fish year round as long as your not too picky about what's biting, and when the zombie apocalypse happens the zombies will run out of food here the fastest, no brains to eat...
--
Old 05-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #12
TJones

like i said

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
good luck .
Old 05-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #13
dmanars
Junior

HAHAHA. Yeah, I dont want to blow the forum up with question after question. I usually do a lot of research before I ask and head out. The only reason I say mahi and Tuna is because I see lots of pictures with them. I thought it would be more common to see them because blue water would be in more. Guess I was wrong. I paddled 6 miles a couple of times but usually stay in the the 2-4 range now.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #14
dmanars
Junior

Thanks again all. and Ill count a bonita any day. As long as there's a fight its counted.