Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Rhynik
Junior

LJ First Open Water Ever - Thursday 8/18

Hola, I'm a member of some other forums with a group of kayak fishers. I can't get on the other board from my current location.

I've fished the bays a couple handfuls of time on tarpon140, now on a hobie outback. I have a buddy who has been out once in the bays and he's convinced me to head out to La Jolla thursday. I know most people are working thursdays, but I thought I'd throw this out there. If anyone is willing to somewhat take me and my buddy under their wing, or just let us tag along and see what to do, I'd really appreciate it.

I've never made bait before and I'm lacking a bait tank, so we'll see if I can even manage that. Give me a heads up if someone is planning on being out there and doesn't mind watching over a couple kayak babies.
Rhynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
wolfman
Wolfman

I can't make it on thurs. but keep trying!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
DanaPT

I think if you bring . . .

Beer or something to share, I'm thinking you'd have no problem getting the help you are looking for.

If some guy said hello to me and offered me something nice like that, How could I say no?

DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Rhynik
Junior

Well I'd be happy to provide some beer to a friend willing to help me out and show me around. I do it all the time, I'll even get whatever kind that friend wants as long as they're old enough to drink and it's not some obscure hard to find beverage.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
rogersmith

Google "bait tube", cheap and easy set up to use instead of tank for macs in La Jolla
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Rhynik
Junior

I've got the plans for the bait tube and I was going to try and make one on Wednesday. I'll eventually get one of the hobie live wells I think.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
RK

Pacifico is a crowd pleaser
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Did someone say beer?!!!!!
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
Croaker Dave

Beer? What time?
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Rhynik
Junior

Whomever doesn't mind showing me around needs to tell me what kind of beer and the time. I'm open in the morning but gotta be home by 2pm.

I greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #11
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I will be out there Thursday, but I will probably be putting on a few miles and targeting a species not really ideal for a first time outing, but beer and a good attitude will probably get you where you want to be... If no one bites, (excuse the pun), call me on 72 early, I am not a guide, but I will show you a couple things about LaJolla before I head out to the far reaches. I usually launch around 3:30 to 4:00 am, depending on the night before.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
Rhynik
Junior

Thanks Handyman, I'll go pick up a radio tomorrow. Is 72 the standard channel for yakkers out there? What's your preferred beverage?
Old 08-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
Handymansd
Ancient Member

72 is usually the channel most Yakkers in LJ will be on. No need to get beer just for me, but if you happen to have a cold dark stout bitter beer of any kind I might be talked into one..

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
I will be out there Thursday, but I will probably be putting on a few miles and targeting a species not really ideal for a first time outing...
Hahaha I know what you mean see you out there with all the coooooooooooooks!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #15
pchen911

I'll be out there Thursday on a tandem. Maybe 5:30 or so. Nothing hard core, just gonna putt around the kelp and get some fish taco ingredients while soaking a bait or two.

Real mellow stuff, no marathon trek. Feel free to come by if you want company paddling out or if you spot us on the water.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #16
Rhynik
Junior

Sweet! Thanks Chen. What kind of yak are you in? I've never been out there so I'm not sure how difficult it will be to find you.

I really look forward to meeting up with some people and learning. I've been fishing inn the bays mostly by myself for just over a year and so far I've learned everything I know about fishing from the Internet.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #17
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

One suggestion take pills or else this might happen to you if you do not hit the ocean that much.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #18
Rhynik
Junior

I normally toss some grubs around. Out there what should I use if I fail at making bait? Dropper looped frozen squid? Or a mackerel colored swim bait?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #19
pchen911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhynik View Post
What kind of yak are you in? I've never been out there so I'm not sure how difficult it will be to find you.
Thursdays are almost always very light on crowd. If it was like the last few weeks, you'll have no problem spotting the few kayaks out there. Maybe you'll run across less than a dozen fishing kayaks the entire morning...

I will be on a red colored perception tandem. Very likely the only people fishing on a tandem kayak on a weekday, so I don't think you'll miss it.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #20
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhynik View Post
I normally toss some grubs around. Out there what should I use if I fail at making bait? Dropper looped frozen squid? Or a mackerel colored swim bait?
if you can't find bait, i would bring some fresh frozen squid from ranch 99, bring like a dozen or so...... good luck, hope you catch something good
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote