Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
lamb

La Jolla 4/12/08 PM shift

Made it to the launch at 2:00PM. Nice weather has brought summertime crowds to the Shores. I struggled for a while looking for the parking spot and ended up leaving my car almost at the La Jolla Shores Blvd.

Beautiful conditions, just some wind. Bait all along the kelp edge, easy. Birds nervously moving all over and picking out smaller bait. I was following them for a while, but I haven’t seen any big surface action.

My fishfinder is out of commission; I’d say the water felt over 60. Pretty good visibility, once you get out of the brownish water from the launch to the reserve and little beyond. Rippin' downhill current.

At about 6:15PM, my jig stick with a big ass crock with big greenie dangling on it got hammered. With line peeling out, I struggled to take it out of the rod holder, with my kayak raising some descent wake moving after the fish. Some consistent power and weight but it didn’t feel like the right kind from the beginning. I expected black, but soon pulled up little thresher, maybe 40# or so. Cool.

There has been a great emptiness in my fridge lately... The size was easy to handle... I even contemplated pulling Yani on it, turning into tasty steaks to enhance my post... But it was so small it was hard to go for it. Once I noticed a bunch of those parasites sticking out of its tale, the little guy was going to live for sure.

Beautiful night at the Jewel. Only a few PBs and yaks. It sure looks primed out there.

Landed in the dark. I’m looking forward for some more PM sessions.

Here’s a LJ sunset series for all of you nature lovers...

Old 04-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
FISHIONADO

Hey Adi, I saw that LJ sunset from the top of the hill last night, waited for a green flash but the sliver of sunlight stayed there for 5 minutes, usually gone in seconds. Strange sunset. Hope to see you out there sometime soon.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
my jig stick with a big ass crock with big greenie dangling on it got hammered
Hey that only works in MEX!
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
h2ofishfo

saw u driving in as i was leaving around 1:30 or so u had as much luck as i did minus the thresher
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
yakrider

I love the summer day lite savings for those after work sessions...
gonna have to get down there some time and fish with yous guys...
thanks for the report, Adi

Josh
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
TomTurtle

nice with the release. I haven't caught a thresher before but hopefully that will change sometime soon. it will be tuff to release me first one no matter the size.

And whats up with the parasites? Are they a common problem with the threshers?
TomTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
lamb

I only caught a couple of threshers, and they were all small. Not sure about the parasites being common in T sharks, never heard that.

I've seen these types of parasites on a couple of YTs.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:22 AM   #8
Donfish

Speaking from past commercial experience most openwater sharks have parasites in the gums and around da bunghole....Don't eat the mouth and bunghole and they eat up just fine.
Good job on the CPR there Adi lil threshers need a second chance.
Donfish is offline   Reply With Quote