Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
katz
Junior

Driving in Baja?

I was reading an old post that ended in 2011 debating the safety of driving through Baja. It appears that the first 2014 Baja or Bust was a fantastic success. Do you think it is safer now than 5 years ago?

Kraig
katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
jorluivil

I've driven to San Quintin alone a few times, there really is nothing to worry about. One suggestion that I can make is to try and keep your money and your passport on you when driving, especially when you arrive at military check points. Also, having a cooler full of drinks(soda, water,etc.) in car/truck can help you when you're getting checked at the military check point. Whenever I drive into Baja I'm usually more worried than scared; worried about getting a flat or a belt breaking but that's about it.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 01-23-2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: because my cell phone doesn't have spell check
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
buddha

What are the sources that you are getting this information?

If you listened to the media your life would in danger once you entered Mexico.

There are way more violent crimes being done in LA and Chicago than Mexico.

Just being in a car and being alive is a risk.

Don't let someone's opinion ruin your fun.

Life is an adventure.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
I feel safer in Baja then LA, however that said, I prefer not to drive through TJ or Ensenada, Tecate and Mexacali are much easier and quicker. By all means drive with another vechicle at least the first trip or two. Carry all your paper work be safe and enjoy Baja.

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I won't travel to Mexico, same as many others. The exception would be on an offshore trip.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I won't travel to Mexico, same as many others. The exception would be on an offshore trip.

Nothing personal to Alan. As I Respect his entitled opinion.

But that is one of the positive things about Baja which is a lot of people choose not to go down there and to be honest I prefer it that way.. And it has a lot of open unexplored areas without the crowds!

MakoBob also had a good point.. I definitely feel safer in Baja with the exception of Tijuana than Los Angeles. It's a special place but it's definitely not for everybody.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Why?
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
ZepBonham

I've had 3 harrasments in Mexico driving. First I was pulled over on an off-roading trip to san Felipe. Apparently the gas in gas cans in the back wasn't "taxed", $40 later I was on my way. Then on a surfing trip, my boards were sticking out of back of truck less than 2 feet, $40 later I was on my way. Then I was rear ended on the highway, I believe on purpose. after a moment of hesitation, I took off and didn't wait for police. Never driving baha again.
ZepBonham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #9
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

I have not been in Baja for quite sometime. I don't know if I would feel safer in TJ then LA. But I have found that when you go anywhere expecting trouble. It usually finds you. I will say I sure do miss parting down there. It was a blast in the early 90's. The best advise I can give is. Speak the language or be with someone who does.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
momo fish

I had same orginal bias view many others have till I made a trip to BOLA last October.. I stopped trying to convince people who have not gone or had one bad experience.. Lost cause.. My first trip to big sur was horrible and my campsite was robbed.. Doesn't mean I stopped going..

I love Baja and all my friends who went with me (8 of us) already planning trips this year.. Only bad/funny part was at a checkpoint around midnight the head guy kept flirting with one of the girls.. She ended up giving him a fake number.. Funnier part was we saw him again on way back but she hid under seat.. Lesson learn, hide your boobs at midnight when at a military checkpoint.. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I've driven to San Quintin alone a few times, there really is nothing to worry about. One suggestion that I can make is to try and keep your money and your passport on you when driving, especially when you arrive at military check points. Also, having a cooler full of drinks(soda, water,etc.) in car/truck can help you when you're getting checked at the military check point. Whenever I drive into Baja I'm usually more worried than scared; worried about getting a flat or a belt breaking but that's about it.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Why?
I think for most it really comes down to having zero faith in a know to be corrupt legal system.
I've been to baja many times on "guy trips" I wouldn't dare take my wife and kids down there though.
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #12
battleborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZepBonham View Post
I've had 3 harrasments in Mexico driving. First I was pulled over on an off-roading trip to san Felipe. Apparently the gas in gas cans in the back wasn't "taxed", $40 later I was on my way. Then on a surfing trip, my boards were sticking out of back of truck less than 2 feet, $40 later I was on my way. Then I was rear ended on the highway, I believe on purpose. after a moment of hesitation, I took off and didn't wait for police. Never driving baha again.
interesting about the surfboards. i was hoping to haul my pa 14 down there as i do over here with a hf bed extender with a light kit for signals and brakes. do you think its illegal to transport it that way, i have a nissan short bed truck. never had issues here in the states, even going state to state like that
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:08 AM   #13
easyday

Well there is something to be said about safety in numbers which it seems mako bobs trips certainly cover. I wouldn't want to be driving down there by myself by any means especially since its illegal to bring firearms in....I would have zero problems with going with a large group though.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:20 AM   #14
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
Well there is something to be said about safety in numbers which it seems mako bobs trips certainly cover. I wouldn't want to be driving down there by myself by any means especially since its illegal to bring firearms in....I would have zero problems with going with a large group though.
Hay Easy, was Mex. still off limits when you EAS' ed? Back in 99 Gen Jones told us we could play south of the border.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #15
easyday

Oh yea big time, we were supposed to get approval from an 06 to cross the border.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #16
GregAndrew

In the last 2 years or so, I have been down twice to each coast of Baja with no troubles. Had my kayak all 4 times, extending a few feet off the back of my Yukon or an Odyssey. I am not staying long in the larger towns, where you are more likely to have problems with the local police.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #17
walrus

Tens of thousands of Americans travel in Baja every year and they have a great time.

Millions of Americans never in their lifetime will go to Baja, and would be miserable if they did.

So a majority of the people would say "Don't Go"!

I'm going in April to "Baja or Bust". I can't wait.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #18
t-$money bussard

the rule in mexico "its better to ask for forgivness than for permission"
t-$money bussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #19
driftwood

Try to blend in when your in Mexico.

This not blending in...Try not to look like strager!

This is more like blending in. Well, you get the point...

Last edited by driftwood; 01-25-2014 at 11:36 AM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote